Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
Poll: Do you keep a savings account with money enough to...
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Apr 16, 2012

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you keep a savings account with money enough to...".

This poll was originally submitted by Heloísa Helena Benetton Costa. View the poll results »

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:36
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
3 months Apr 16, 2012

But it's not a separate account. I try to keep three months' income accumulated in my regular business account.

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 03:36
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
2 - 3 months Apr 16, 2012

Muriel Vasconcellos wrote:

But it's not a separate account. I try to keep three months' income accumulated in my regular business account.

Same here.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other Apr 16, 2012

I have never been sensible enough to ever plan ahead or put things aside for a rainy day. I do have 3 savings bank accounts, simply because the fees are lower than with normal or current accounts. One is for standing order bills, the other also, (I suppose I should really close one/merge them but I never seem to have time) and I also have one with an online bank so I can transfer money between accounts easily. I have enough in the latter to surv¡ve for a few months if need be, but that is pure... See more
I have never been sensible enough to ever plan ahead or put things aside for a rainy day. I do have 3 savings bank accounts, simply because the fees are lower than with normal or current accounts. One is for standing order bills, the other also, (I suppose I should really close one/merge them but I never seem to have time) and I also have one with an online bank so I can transfer money between accounts easily. I have enough in the latter to surv¡ve for a few months if need be, but that is purely by chance, not design.Collapse

John Cutler
John Cutler  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
1 month + or - Apr 16, 2012

Only about 1 month, but if push came to shove I could dip into retirement savings. That, however, is the answer to another day's question.

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
German to English
Not yet Apr 16, 2012

but I want / need to - it is all a metter of discipline

William Murphy
William Murphy  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
Italian to English
+ ...
None of your business Apr 16, 2012

I wouldn't answer a question like this posed to me in any conversation outside of a loan application or tax investigation procedure.
Can't understand why anyone would think responding to a question like this on the Internet makes it any less invasive, or even just plain socially inappropriate.

Sophie Dzhygir
Sophie Dzhygir  Identity Verified
France
German to French
+ ...
Other Apr 16, 2012

I do have savings, but I don't know for how many months without work they would last and those savings are not specifically for the purpose of staying without work, but just for all purposes in general (renovation work in the house, buyings, unexpected expenses, etc.).
But anyway: I wouldn't wait many months without work. If I were to remain with no translation work, I think it would take only 3-4 weeks until I'd turn to other revenue sources (= offer other services as a freelancer or look
... See more
I do have savings, but I don't know for how many months without work they would last and those savings are not specifically for the purpose of staying without work, but just for all purposes in general (renovation work in the house, buyings, unexpected expenses, etc.).
But anyway: I wouldn't wait many months without work. If I were to remain with no translation work, I think it would take only 3-4 weeks until I'd turn to other revenue sources (= offer other services as a freelancer or look for a salaried job)
Collapse

David Wright
David Wright  Identity Verified
Austria
German to English
+ ...
Other Apr 16, 2012

not to cover a period of unemployment but rather to pay for my holidays!

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 10:36
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Quite agree! Apr 16, 2012

dasein_wm wrote:

I wouldn't answer a question like this posed to me in any conversation outside of a loan application or tax investigation procedure.
Can't understand why anyone would think responding to a question like this on the Internet makes it any less invasive, or even just plain socially inappropriate.

Nicely put. I, too, had an instant gut reaction when I read the question. Maybe another option "Why the hell should I tell you!" could have been included in the poll.

Interlangue (X)
Interlangue (X)
Angola
English to French
+ ...
Definitely! Apr 16, 2012

Julian Holmes wrote:

dasein_wm wrote:

Nicely put. I, too, had an instant gut reaction when I read the question. Maybe another option "Why the hell should I tell you!" could have been included in the poll.

I agree too and voted other as there is no option "mind your own (business)"

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 02:36
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Quite agree! Apr 16, 2012

dasein_wm wrote:

Noni Gilbert Riley
Noni Gilbert Riley
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Anonymous Apr 16, 2012

I am willing to give that information anonymously but under no circumstances will I discuss it: although we are in a sometimes more light-hearted section of Proz, this is a professional site, and I would be acting unprofessionally to blab here.

However, I do wish everyone the best of luck in accumulating savings for a rainy day!

Noni

Gennady Lapardin
Gennady Lapardin  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 04:36
Italian to Russian
+ ...
An option Apr 16, 2012

I would invest into Lionbridge or similar (similar industry and strength), if they pay interest enough to [see in subject].

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Hold your horses... Apr 16, 2012

I don't think the point of the question is to pry into people's finances but simply to see whether people set money aside in case their work dries up.

In my case, the answer is no, as I can see no chance of that happening. In fact I cannot really see how anyone occupied full-time could suddenly end up with 3-12 months without any work at all...

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you keep a savings account with money enough to...

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »