Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
Poll: Which payment processor do you use the most for your business needs?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
Local time: 19:46
SITE STAFF
Apr 20, 2012

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Which payment processor do you use the most for your business needs?".

View the poll results »

Direct link Reply with quote

Mary Worby  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:46
German to English
+ ...
None of the above Apr 20, 2012

I accept payments by bank transfer. I once accepted a payment by PayPal but the fees were so extortionate (compared to bank transfers, which are free) that I resolved never to do so again.

Chris S  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Swedish to English
+ ...
Direct bank transfer every time for us Apr 20, 2012

I suspect this all depends on which side of the Atlantic you are???

Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 04:46
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Other Apr 20, 2012

Of course, I prefer bank/wire transfers for obvious reasons.

However, some of my overseas clients pay only through PayPal - despite its hefty fees, which are, however, still "moderate" compared to my bank's fees for foreign currency checks. So I've decided for the lesser "bad" (so to speak).

Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 12:46
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Bank transfer Apr 20, 2012

PayPal charges a minimal amount to transfer from your account to Japanese banks who then skin you alive -- flat-rate fee of around $30 -- for the privilege of "processing" the remittance.

Ouch!

Teresa Borges
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
None of the above Apr 20, 2012

Preferably by bank transfer, exceptionally by cheque. But I worked for many years as sworn translator and by then I also accepted cash.

Suzan Hamer  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English
+ ...
And yet another... Apr 20, 2012

None of the above; bank transfer.

Catherine GUILLIAUMET  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
I'm using Paypal, but would like to hear about other solutions. Apr 20, 2012

Good morning,

I'm using Paypal, because most of my clients are abroad, mostly in USA, and don't want to use bank transfers because of the costs. And as I don't want to receive US checks (that the client may cancel during 6 months and which cost a lot as French bank fees), nor to have transfer fees deducted from my invoice by US clients - without any control on those so-called transfer fees -, I use Paypal - like almost all my clients.

But I'd appreciate to hear about the other solutions mentioned in the poll. If you have ever used other tools, thanks for sharing advices.

Have a nice day
Catherine

Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Hebrew to English
Bank/Wire transfer Apr 20, 2012

...is the only way, although I have on occasion used paypal for smaller amounts. I agree though the fees they charge is like daylight robbery and it's best avoided where possible.

Helen Hagon  Identity Verified
Member (2011)
Russian to English
+ ...
Me too... Apr 20, 2012

I also use bank transfer. I have a separate account for work which makes it easier to keep paperwork organised, and if there are any problems I can talk to my local branch. I have occasionally used PayPal when a client has requested it.

David Wright  Identity Verified
Austria
German to English
+ ...

Costs nothing in the euro zone, relaitively little in the rest of Europe and I don't feel any great desire to pay money outside the EU on a regular basis, so even then I use a bank transfer.

neilmac  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other Apr 20, 2012

Most of my own clients nowadays pay by direct bank transfer, or occasionally by cheque.
The few agencies or clients I work with outside Spain usually pay by Paypal, but I only use it for billing once or twice a year. I have no complaints so far.

Jana Kinská  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
I also VERY MUCH prefer bank transfer... Apr 20, 2012

... if possible.
However, some of my overseas clients use only Paypal (which is so-so for smaller amounts, I guess). Honestly, I find their fees simply appalling so I try and suggest paying through Moneybookers, at least. Cheques, on the other hand, are quite difficult to handle because it takes almost a month to get them cashed in our banks, plus they charge some 3%. So definitely bank transfer: my bank charges 2 eur for accepting any payment in foreign currency (no fee for a payment in local currency).

Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...

Me too.

Where I live, and with the clients I normally work for, that is the only way that makes sense.

I do occasionally accept payments through PayPal - it's better than not getting paid at all.

Karol Kacprzak  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...

Mostly bank transfer. I can accept paypal on some occasions, but never transfer the money to my bank afterwards. I just buy stuff on-line with it.

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Which payment processor do you use the most for your business needs?

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search