Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Do you watch anything (movies, TV series) while working?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Milena Nikolić
Milena Nikolić  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:23
English to Montenegrin
+ ...
radio Apr 22, 2012

radio or some tv music station is usually in the backround. And not too loud, in order not to distract me.

Hipyan Nopri
Hipyan Nopri  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 11:23
Member (2005)
English to Indonesian
+ ...
No Apr 22, 2012

While translating, I do not turn my TV or anything on.

I like complete silence when working on hard stuffs.

Andrea Munhoz
Andrea Munhoz  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 01:23
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Yes Apr 22, 2012

This is my work, actually.

[Edited at 2012-04-22 14:16 GMT]

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 13:23
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Yes ... Apr 22, 2012

Only the screen in front of me.

No other visual distractions. None whatsoever. When I work I am very, very focused - focused on my work. Yes, very boring, 100% on the task in front of me - but very focused.

This way 100% of me goes into getting a good job done - hopefully. And, hopefully the customer appreciates that.

The way up is never easy!

Amy Duncan (X)
Amy Duncan (X)  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 01:23
Portuguese to English
+ ...
I love silence! Apr 22, 2012

No, I can't imagine how it would be possible to watch anything while translating. I live on a fairly noisy street, so I'm always grateful for the times when it's less noisy. I can shut out most of the noise by working in an inner room with the door closed.

I live alone, too, but never miss the sound of voices. I had enough of that when I didn't live alone, and am grateful for at least a bit of quiet now!

I rarely listen to music when I'm working, unless it's a really lo
... See more
No, I can't imagine how it would be possible to watch anything while translating. I live on a fairly noisy street, so I'm always grateful for the times when it's less noisy. I can shut out most of the noise by working in an inner room with the door closed.

I live alone, too, but never miss the sound of voices. I had enough of that when I didn't live alone, and am grateful for at least a bit of quiet now!

I rarely listen to music when I'm working, unless it's a really long, boring job, and then I'll put on Bill Evans or some Chinese classical music.
Collapse

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Other Apr 22, 2012

I voted "No", but this is only partially true. Some of my work involves lip-synx translations so that I'm keeping one eye on the text/translation, the other on the video.
And... both eyes are giving 100%.

Oliver Walter
Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:23
German to English
+ ...
Silence Apr 22, 2012

I'm like Amy in prefering silence for work, and like Nicole in living in quiet surroundings. The main sounds when I work are a clock (one tick per second), the computer's cooling fan, passing aircraft (1 or 2 per hour, not very loud) and sometimes birdsong - nearly always welcome. My TV and work computer are in different rooms. The nearest I get to what the question suggested is that I sometimes (but rarely) have the radio on (also in a different room) to hear when a programme I want to listen t... See more
I'm like Amy in prefering silence for work, and like Nicole in living in quiet surroundings. The main sounds when I work are a clock (one tick per second), the computer's cooling fan, passing aircraft (1 or 2 per hour, not very loud) and sometimes birdsong - nearly always welcome. My TV and work computer are in different rooms. The nearest I get to what the question suggested is that I sometimes (but rarely) have the radio on (also in a different room) to hear when a programme I want to listen to is starting.

BTW: I think Thayenga's "no" was correct because the question is about listening to, or watching, something that is not part of the work you are doing. The questioner had probably not thought of lip-sync. Also Thayenga must be a chameleon, with the ability to point his eyes in different directions!

Oliver
Collapse

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
French to English
Idem Apr 22, 2012

Julian Holmes wrote:

When I work I am very, very focused - focused on my work. Yes, very boring, 100% on the task in front of me - but very focused.

This way 100% of me goes into getting a good job done - hopefully.

Idem.

[Edited at 2012-04-22 18:40 GMT]

trent2101
trent2101
Dutch to Czech
+ ...
Last week Apr 22, 2012

I had to get a very difficult text done, so I "watched" a really stupid film...so stupid actually that it didn´t distract me at all and even made me want to work...
I usually listen to some music, because I usually work at night and silence would make me fall asleep...) I used to listen to bands like Rammstein when I needed to get something done quickly).
I have a child too, so there is always some background noise...

James McVay
James McVay  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:23
Russian to English
+ ...
I need it quiet Apr 22, 2012

Nikki Scott-Despaigne wrote:

I have never been one to have the TV except when I am watching it and it alone. I used to be able to work with music on, perhaps even with the radio on. Classical "floaty" sort of music can induce an industrious audio environment, conducive to concentration. For me, a screen competing for my visual attention does the opposite.

Nowadays, when working in an office or at home alone, I need total silence to work. When working in a public environment, I can cut-out all the background hubub and give total attention to work if need be.

That goes for me, too.

Karol Kacprzak
Karol Kacprzak  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Gaming streams Apr 23, 2012

I sometimes "watch" gamers streaming League of Legends on my other monitor. By watching I mean looking there from time to time whenever I hear something exciting is happening.

XXXphxxx (X)
XXXphxxx (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:23
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Total silence Apr 23, 2012

The slightest noise or distraction throws my concentration so it's total silence when I'm translating. However, when working on admin, doing my accounts etc I take the opportunity and catch up on podcasts.

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
The quieter the better Apr 23, 2012

Nicole Schnell wrote:

My house is located in an extremely quiet street, there are no children, there is no traffic. We are surrounded by trees that will absorb any noise by nearby streets. Only when the temperatures will allow open windows, I can hear birds, eventually neighbors or an occasional dog barking.

Same here, and I love it!
But I learnt many years ago at boarding school to shut out other people's noise, music, whatever they like to call it.
We've had workmen repairing the house recently - first the roof and now the bathroom - and I can ignore them if I shut the door, but I work best in the evening when they have gone!

What I really can't take is 'warbling women' - my husband likes classical music and has retired, so now he is at home all day, and we have had a few heated discussions... Just as he is enjoying Kathleen Battle or Montserrat Caballé, I want to storm out and turn them off... I m not musical at all.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you watch anything (movies, TV series) while working?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »