Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: When did you buy your first translation software?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Allison Wright (X)
Allison Wright (X)  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 18:27
Other Apr 28, 2012

About four months ago, after 25 years of translating - and loving it!

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:27
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other - when it was on sale Apr 29, 2012

I bought Trados many years ago when a bargain deal was announced on ProZ. I was never able to get it to install properly. I kept hoping I would figure it out, but I never did, so my chance for a refund vanished.

Marijke Singer
Marijke Singer  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 19:27
Dutch to English
+ ...
At least 10 years ago Apr 29, 2012

When Trados became available after translating for at least 10 years. Found it and am still finding Trados wonderful. Studio is another matter.

564354352 (X)
564354352 (X)  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 19:27
Danish to English
+ ...
When I went self-employed Apr 29, 2012

I helped implement Trados among a large group of translators in my first job as an in-house translator about 11 years ago, and have worked with the various versions of Trados ever since. When I went self-employed, Trados was the obvious choice for me, although it has weaknesses (as I presume all translation software has). I have yet to pluck up the courage/energy to switch to Studio, although I have the program installed. For the time being, I'm sticking to Suite 2007. Better the devil you know.... See more
I helped implement Trados among a large group of translators in my first job as an in-house translator about 11 years ago, and have worked with the various versions of Trados ever since. When I went self-employed, Trados was the obvious choice for me, although it has weaknesses (as I presume all translation software has). I have yet to pluck up the courage/energy to switch to Studio, although I have the program installed. For the time being, I'm sticking to Suite 2007. Better the devil you know... sort of thing.

I cannot imagine NOT using translation software in my work any more than I can imagine doing my translation work without using a computer. However, I suppose it depends on the type of translation you do — if there are not a lot of repetition (verbatim or content-related), I presume translation tools do not have great appeal. Personally, I find the segmentation a great help in structuring my thinking, but we all have different approaches to translation...

Who mentioned Google as a translation tool??? Perish the thought that any professional translator would consider such incomplete machine translation tools adequate. I shiver at the thought.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: When did you buy your first translation software?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »