Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Robert Forstag
Robert Forstag  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:41
Spanish to English
+ ...
Agree re irrelevance of the poll May 5, 2012

As I suggested several weeks ago, I really think it would be better to reduce the number of polls to two or three a week, but to have relevant, discussion-provoking (and grammatically correct and unambiguously worded) questions.

If things go on like this, we're headed for questions about who our favorite Disney character is, if we enjoy Gilligan's Island marathons, if we fondle stress balls while we work, or if we enjoy origami.

Personally, while I wish all my colleagu
... See more
As I suggested several weeks ago, I really think it would be better to reduce the number of polls to two or three a week, but to have relevant, discussion-provoking (and grammatically correct and unambiguously worded) questions.

If things go on like this, we're headed for questions about who our favorite Disney character is, if we enjoy Gilligan's Island marathons, if we fondle stress balls while we work, or if we enjoy origami.

Personally, while I wish all my colleagues well, I don't find their personal hobbies or ways of decompressing to be of transcendent interest. I'm sure that the reverse holds true as well.
Collapse

Amy Duncan (X)
Amy Duncan (X)  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 08:41
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Hmmmm.... May 5, 2012

For those of you who don't like to see a poll every day, you could just ignore them (like changing the TV channel.)

As for the suggestion that a poll about sports should be limited to the fact that we do it to "relieve translation stress," I disagree. Not everyone does sports to relieve translation stress, or any stress, for that matter.

I have no problem at all with these polls. I think they're fun, and I like to get to know my colleagues better. You want to tell me wh
... See more
For those of you who don't like to see a poll every day, you could just ignore them (like changing the TV channel.)

As for the suggestion that a poll about sports should be limited to the fact that we do it to "relieve translation stress," I disagree. Not everyone does sports to relieve translation stress, or any stress, for that matter.

I have no problem at all with these polls. I think they're fun, and I like to get to know my colleagues better. You want to tell me who your favorite Disney character is? That's fine with me! I'm sure it would stimulate some entertaining conversation.

Anyway, back to YOGA. I like the idea of doing yoga, but as another colleague said, some of the positions are impossible for me, so I do tai chi chuan and nei kung (a series of martial arts prep exercises). I studied with a Chinese master for four years when I lived in New York, and try to keep up with it the best I can down here in Rio. I brought his video tape with me so I won't forget any of the moves. I tried a few tai chi teachers down here but so far haven't found an approach I like as much as I did Master Chu's.
Collapse

Ty Kendall
Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:41
Hebrew to English
On ignoring May 5, 2012

Ignoring is the strategem of choice on this site.

But let's be honest, it doesn't really solve anything does it? It doesn't change this site for the better in any way, shape or form.

We're told to ignore KudoZ abusers, who merrily go about abusing KudoZ unimpeded.

In fact, in the entire span of human history, has "ignoring" ever achieved anything for anyone?

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 20:41
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Good point! May 5, 2012

Amy Duncan wrote:
(like changing the TV channel.)

Yes. Which channel are we on, by the way?

I thought Proz polls were an opportunity to compare and learn about our counterparts around the world. But, then we all have different expectations, don't we.

Do you want Fox news or BBC documentaries? They are both "polls apart."

@Robert "I really think it would be better to reduce the number of polls to two or three a week, but to have relevant, discussion-provoking (and grammatically correct and unambiguously worded) questions"

Yes. A great idea for more prolonged and in-depth discussion about key issues affecting us translators instead of Baskin Robbins Flavor of the Day-type polls.

Another suggestion, folks!
How about serious stuff during the week and frivolous 'n fun light entertainment on weekends? At least we'd know what to expect when we switch to this channel.

I live in Japan. I hate hearing K-pop or broadcasts from North Korea when I want to tune into Saturday night Jazz!

What channel do you want to listen to?

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 13:41
Member (2006)
German to English
Ditto May 5, 2012

inkweaver wrote:

And I feel absolutely no desire to do so.
Yoga seems to be quite trendy at the moment but I prefer different types of exercise, e.g. swimming, preferably outdoors.

Or swivelling on my chair when working

Marc Cordes
Marc Cordes  Identity Verified
Poland
English to German
+ ...
! May 5, 2012

Julian Holmes wrote:

Anja Weggel wrote:
Isn't one point of those polls to get to know your fellow translators a bit? So why not talk about yoga or other kinds of sports/activities every once in a while? Even translators have a life outside of translating (at least so I heard)

Wording the poll, for example, as:

What sport/exercise/training do you do to relieve translation-related stress?

Yoga
Stretching
Aerobics
Jogging
Cycling
Boxing
Karate
None of the above
Some of the above
Other N/A (discuss)

Could have stimulated discussion and provided us with answers and better insight about what other translators do for stress relief -- other than answer Proz polls, that is.

Spot on!

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:41
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Yoga? No, I don't. May 5, 2012

Provided that hopping and skipping up and down the hallway after sitting for too long and when nobody is looking isn't considered a legit or secret Yoga exercise.

I do love this kind of polls because, by definition, they are supposed to be specifically non-scientific. I ignore polls about CAT tools (yawn!), finances (nobody's business) and obnoxious clients (why waste time?).

As a matter of fact, I might just suggest a new one today:

Do your socks match?... See more
Provided that hopping and skipping up and down the hallway after sitting for too long and when nobody is looking isn't considered a legit or secret Yoga exercise.

I do love this kind of polls because, by definition, they are supposed to be specifically non-scientific. I ignore polls about CAT tools (yawn!), finances (nobody's business) and obnoxious clients (why waste time?).

Do your socks match?

- Yes. My mom lays them out for me every day (Hey, mom! ).
- I didn't check, I am on a deadline.
- No idea. I am wearing only one.
- I don't care but my spouse left me last week, I think. Left some weird note about socks...
Collapse

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
Time to lighten up guys, it's the weekend fun poll! May 5, 2012

Why not baseball? It's as boring as cricket

Why not soccer? ditto, although of course I do realise I'm in a minority

Why not play with your dog? Yes, that I do! He just loves to fetch the ball butnow that I've trained him to drop it right between my feet it isn't really very athletic for me...

Are you a boy or a girl? - a woman actually

Do you take milk in your coffee? only before lunch. After I have it black

What's your favor
... See more
Why not baseball? It's as boring as cricket

Why not soccer? ditto, although of course I do realise I'm in a minority

Why not play with your dog? Yes, that I do! He just loves to fetch the ball butnow that I've trained him to drop it right between my feet it isn't really very athletic for me...

Are you a boy or a girl? - a woman actually

Do you take milk in your coffee? only before lunch. After I have it black

What's your favorite color? - red, mauve, pink, orange: all the warmest shades

Who's your favorite Disney character? - Nala every time. The only one to pin Simba to the ground. Mind you, Jasmine is spunky and sexy, and I have a very soft spot for Baloo.

etc., etc. Pffff just as I'm warming up you peter out.

"Time for bed" said Zebedee.
Ah! your favourite Magic Roundabout character is it?

Oh and I love yoga. However kneeling has become difficult since my bike accident last year so that rules the best postures out; I'm thinking of going along to the free Tai Chi in the park where my husband goes jogging, and Amy's post was helpful to me in that respect - thank you Amy!
Collapse

Julian Holmes
Japan
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
New polls mushrooming by the minute May 5, 2012

Nicole Schnell wrote:

Do your socks match?

- Yes. My mom lays them out for me every day (Hey, mom! ).
- I didn't check, I am on a deadline.
- No idea. I am wearing only one.
- I don't care but my spouse left me last week, I think. Left some weird note about socks...

Terrrrrrrrfic poll idea, Nicole! Lots of sox appeal

Interlangue (X)
Interlangue (X)
Angola
English to French
+ ...
Tx... May 5, 2012

... for quibbling and for your humourous creativity - probably the most efficient way to relax and relieve the stress of a 107 pages annual report

inkweaver
inkweaver  Identity Verified
Germany
French to German
+ ...
How many relevant questions are there? May 5, 2012

Just wondering... And what are the chances that they haven't been asked before?
I don't think that these quick polls will lead to any world-shattering new insights, so I tend to view them as a little distraction while I take a break.
If I wanted to discuss any "serious" questions, I would start a new thread.
And as far as ignoring certain things goes - I think it's useful to differentiate between the important and the unimportant. Personally, I have more important things to wo
... See more
Just wondering... And what are the chances that they haven't been asked before?
I don't think that these quick polls will lead to any world-shattering new insights, so I tend to view them as a little distraction while I take a break.
If I wanted to discuss any "serious" questions, I would start a new thread.
And as far as ignoring certain things goes - I think it's useful to differentiate between the important and the unimportant. Personally, I have more important things to worry about than polls on Proz.com so if I didn't like them I would just ignore them. But everyone's entitled to their own opinion of course.
Collapse

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:41
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
For Interlangue May 5, 2012

Interlangue wrote:

... for quibbling and for your humourous creativity - probably the most efficient way to relax and relieve the stress of a 107 pages annual report

Edited because I misspelled the user name.

[Edited at 2012-05-05 17:44 GMT]

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
why yoga? May 5, 2012

I also don't see why exactly yoga, because one requires about 1 1/2 hours of ANY physical activity a day and to counteract possible 'stress' even short but regular switching activities (playing chess, reading the news, closing the eyes, listening to music, chatting, walking, squatting, and drinking coffee or eating some sweets, etc) would do.

Emin Arı
Emin Arı  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 14:41
English to Turkish
+ ...
bycle is the best May 5, 2012

because dogs chase you!

Julian Holmes
Japan
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
For a little more flexibility May 5, 2012

Nicole Schnell wrote:
Interlangue wrote:

@Nicole
Super nice photo. Lots of sox appeal. Definitely my cuppa. Thank you!

Regarding flexibility, pls check out the following on my website;

http://www.asterix.co.jp/Pages/07Flexibility/Flexibility.html

@Emin
I couldn't but help envisage you in my mind's eye peddling like mad. Thank you!

"Time for beddy byes," said Zebedee. zzzzzzzz

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you practice yoga?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »