Michael Harris wrote:

and would not touch it with a barge pole

Phoebe Indetzki
Phoebe Indetzki  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:44
German to English
+ ...
Extremely enjoyable... May 7, 2012

I actually enjoy it so much, I find myself sometimes translating verses of songs or rhymes simply for pleasure... it's always so challenging, but I get a real sense of satisfaction and achievement from it. Just a shame there's not all that much of a market for it!

Allison Wright (X)
Allison Wright (X)  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 18:44
Would like to May 7, 2012

But would do it for pleasure. There is one in particular which has been gnawing at me these past months...

Emin Arı
Emin Arı  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 20:44
English to Turkish
+ ...
not translation but transcreation May 7, 2012

well... there is no translation of poem but just transcreation (or re-writing?) IMHO. As all knows that translation of a poem is impossible by default.

Denise DeVries
Denise DeVries  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:44
Spanish to English
+ ...
Sharing talent is worthwhile. May 7, 2012

Eser Perkins wrote:

...and it is both fun and challenging.

Besides the fun and challenge of the translation, it's exciting to think of introducing poetry to new readers.

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
haiku May 7, 2012

Do haiku count?

I did some once and it was great fun. I looked up the definition of haiku and found that there were a set number of syllables for each line (or rather, that the complicated rules involving sounds and syllables in Japanese had been condensed into this rule for European languages) and that there had to be some reference to nature. The writer had totally ignored the syllables rule and had only made the vaguest of references to the weather. I decided to follow the rules
... See more
Do haiku count?

I did some once and it was great fun. I looked up the definition of haiku and found that there were a set number of syllables for each line (or rather, that the complicated rules involving sounds and syllables in Japanese had been condensed into this rule for European languages) and that there had to be some reference to nature. The writer had totally ignored the syllables rule and had only made the vaguest of references to the weather. I decided to follow the rules myself, and I included the weather references, bolstered with a bit more nature for good measure, and tried to use at least one or two other words that clearly translated words in the original . I couldn't say "to be faithful to the original meaning" because I was really not sure what the author meant.
Collapse

Natalia Pedrosa
Natalia Pedrosa
Spain
Member (2012)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I love it May 8, 2012

It is a brain, mind and soul training spending hours staring into space
in order to find the right word or phrase.

Cheers big ears!

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you translate rhyme/poetry?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »