Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: How often do you acquire new clients?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Allison Wright (X)
Allison Wright (X)  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 00:25
How about May 8, 2012

haphazardly, since I do not actively market for clients? It brings in the same result as if I did.

Diana Coada (X)
Diana Coada (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:25
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Same as Ty and Catherine May 8, 2012

Catherine Knight wrote:

Ty Kendall wrote:

...a bit like the public transport system here where you wait an hour for a bus and then three come at once.

Very much like Ty. I might have three new customers in one month, or go for six months just working for my regular customers.

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 01:25
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
A good "how about" May 8, 2012

Allison Wright wrote:

haphazardly, since I do not actively market for clients? It brings in the same result as if I did.

You spoke/wrote my mind, Allison.

Marlene Blanshay
Marlene Blanshay  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 19:25
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
frequently May 8, 2012

or monthly. Lately, anyways....I seem to be getting new clients on a regular basis. Of course,there are some agencies who I worked for regularly and who haven't been active clients for quite a while. it seems to balance out, but i definitely acquire more new ones now at faster rate than I used to. It's sort of like Ty and Catherine! they're like buses...

[Edited at 2012-05-08 12:19 GMT]

John Cutler
John Cutler  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Sign me up with this group May 8, 2012

neilmac wrote:

Julian Holmes wrote:

Occasionally -- when they find me or we find each other.

I agree with Interlangue and Alexandra, too.

Ditto. Nowadays I usually find myself trying to dissuade them or recommending they look elsewhere...

I've had a lot of offers recently but have pretty much ignored them. They're mostly making me offers I can refuse.

[Edited at 2012-05-08 12:20 GMT]

andres-larsen
andres-larsen
Venezuela
Local time: 19:25
Spanish to English
+ ...
rarely May 8, 2012

once in a blue moon

Rosa Grau (X)
Rosa Grau (X)
Spain
English to Catalan
+ ...
new clients? May 8, 2012

Zero in the last 8 months. I am starting to have serious doubts on the efficacy of ProZ. Or am I doing something wrong?

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 08:25
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
A common paradigm for acquiring new clients May 8, 2012

Gosh, I've never been dittoed so much. I'm blushing

Judging from the posts in this poll, it seems that chance or haphazard happenings, fate and karma are having a major effect on how we acquire new clients.

I'm a hopeless optimist and firm believer of the Field of Dreams adage "If you build it, he will come" philosophy that if you plant a field with good intentions, good will come to you.

Wi
... See more
Gosh, I've never been dittoed so much. I'm blushing

Judging from the posts in this poll, it seems that chance or haphazard happenings, fate and karma are having a major effect on how we acquire new clients.

I'm a hopeless optimist and firm believer of the Field of Dreams adage "If you build it, he will come" philosophy that if you plant a field with good intentions, good will come to you.

Wishing you all well!
Collapse

Marc Cordes
Marc Cordes  Identity Verified
Poland
English to German
+ ...
I agree... May 8, 2012

with Julien once again

Intention is everything in life and business. A positive outlook on those two areas in general naturally creates connections which in turn create benefits.

Let the sun in

Hege Jakobsen Lepri
Hege Jakobsen Lepri  Identity Verified
Norway
Member (2002)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Depends on the market situation May 8, 2012

I represent one "narrow" and one "very narrow" language combination, so fluctuations in the market are felt immediately when it comes to offers from clients I never heard about before. Quite a few of these jobs are one-off jobs.
Generally I can anticipate when these offers will come just by looking at the traffic to my proz.com-profile. Today for instance, I received an offer from a local filmmaker, and then from an Italian agency that didn't have any Norwegian freelancers on their list (a
... See more
I represent one "narrow" and one "very narrow" language combination, so fluctuations in the market are felt immediately when it comes to offers from clients I never heard about before. Quite a few of these jobs are one-off jobs.
Generally I can anticipate when these offers will come just by looking at the traffic to my proz.com-profile. Today for instance, I received an offer from a local filmmaker, and then from an Italian agency that didn't have any Norwegian freelancers on their list (and since the number of translators in that language combinations seems to be shrinking, I'll typically be contacted every time this happens). It doesn't always turn in to a long-term collaboration, and often not even a PO, but there are almost constant requests from new clients.
Collapse

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:25
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
The way I understood this poll May 9, 2012

To me, it reads like: "How often to you make marketing efforts to expand your client list?" by sending applications and such, otherwise "Yearly" or "Every three months" would hardly make sense, or am I missing something?

No, I don't send applications. Clients find me through the ProZ.com directory or by recommendations.

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:25
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
No pattern May 9, 2012

Allison Wright wrote:

That sums it up for me. I'm happy with the clients I have, but I'm also open to new experiences. I'm not interested in growing my roster unless the new clients pay as well or better than the ones I already have.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
It is what it is May 9, 2012

Rosa Grau wrote:

Zero in the last 8 months. I am starting to have serious doubts on the efficacy of ProZ. Or am I doing something wrong?

Personally, I have never seen proz as a means to acquire new clients. Few of the offers I have received directly through proz have been worthwhile. Four agencies/people I contacted through proz (or vice versa) turned out to be fruitful on at least one occasion. The rest have either been too demanding (as soon as I see "best rates" I tend to reject the proposal) or otherwise not interesting.

I also tend to reject anything from any organisation/person claiming to handle more than ten language pairs, which to me reeks of sweatshop/sausage factory.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How often do you acquire new clients?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »