Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: My own sense of creativity is often inspired by
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff

ProZ.com Staff
Local time: 06:25
SITE STAFF
May 13, 2012

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "My own sense of creativity is often inspired by".

View the poll results »

Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:25
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other - observing nature May 13, 2012

My appreciation of nature gets my creative juices going.

Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:25
Hebrew to English
Other - drinking copious amounts of stimulants May 13, 2012

And SLEEP! Zzzzz

(The answer to many a 'creative' conundrum has often come to me in a dream - the trick is to remember it long enough after waking to put it to good use).

[Edited at 2012-05-13 08:35 GMT]

Alison Sparks (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:25
French to English
+ ...
Most of the above May 13, 2012

though I voted doing something new as this is what really inspires me. I could just as easily have said 'read a good book' , 'hearing a good speaker', etc. I suppose it depends on the context at the time. icon_smile.gif

Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Earth and Life May 13, 2012

As a novelist and poet, it seems as if creativity was part of my DNA. This might sound a little arrogant, but far from it! It's the way it is. Every-/anything and any-/everybody can inspire my creativity: a face, a smile, Nature, a falling leave or the whistle of a train.
And I do treat it as it is: a gift.icon_smile.gif

Gennady Lapardin  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 17:25
Italian to Russian
+ ...
Other: carefully analyzing something trivial May 13, 2012

e.g., a cooking recipe, a century-old pit in the yard, etc.

Another endless source of inspiration: watching the road traffic from the balcony (14th floor), especially when fresh drivers try to enter/exit the premises. Watching them is like watching a football game, whether they'll manage to maneuver smoothly or would clash or create a jam. However, my interest in this show is purely vegetarian or platonic.

[Edited at 2012-05-13 21:57 GMT]

Desiree Staude
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Depends on the mood May 13, 2012

Either by reading a book or watching a film. But sometimes also because of rainy weather or a walk.

Natalia Pedrosa  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2012)
English to Spanish
+ ...
My feelings May 13, 2012

Call me sentimental, but my writings are always dedicated to the ones I love, like that old Aretha Franklin's song.

Happy Sunday!

Dave Bindon  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 16:25
Member (2010)
Greek to English
Plants May 13, 2012

The plants on my balcony inspire me. Here's some of last week's inspiration...

Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
French to English
A number of these May 13, 2012

Might have been a nice option. It depends. Sometimes it might be a good book, other times hearing a good speaker, sometimes the colour of the sky, good music, good food, sometimes there are just days when everything flows. Who knows?

jacana54 (X)  Identity Verified
Uruguay
English to Spanish
+ ...
Nature (2) May 13, 2012

Muriel Vasconcellos wrote:

My appreciation of nature gets my creative juices going.

icon_smile.gif

Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Hebrew to English
....the paycheck? May 13, 2012

Anyone?icon_smile.gif

Simon Bruni  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Spanish to English
Voices in my head May 13, 2012

Memories of words said and written inspire the multitude of different voices one has to adopt as a translator. This to me is the creative side of translation.

Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
Member (2018)
French to English
Sleep yes of course! May 13, 2012

Ty Kendall wrote:

And SLEEP! Zzzzz

(The answer to many a 'creative' conundrum has often come to me in a dream - the trick is to remember it long enough after waking to put it to good use).

[Edited at 2012-05-13 08:35 GMT]

Luckily since becoming a mother I have learned to sleep lightly and often find myself making notes at 3 am.
They don't always make sense by 9 am but I have often hit on the most fitting term in the night. That's why I always prefer to make clients wait till the next morning.

I also have a picture of a golden Buddha with the headline "inspiration" torn from a mazazine on the wall next to me. I'm not Buddhist by a long chalk but looking at him infuses me with a sense of calm that's conducive to expressing ideas. Maybe I ought to leave a little offering in thanks!

Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:25
English to Spanish
+ ...
Not enough options May 13, 2012

Creativity is one of those aspects of the human condition that is going through a hype stage right now. At least in America.

Even the most foul-mouthed teen out there is creative, and the fact that the same teen has never set foot in a museum, read a great book or listened to what we might consider wonderful music does not matter.

Take Eminem, for example. I disliked his music intensely ten years ago, when he was famous and unavoidable in the media here in America. I couldn't have considered what he did for music "creative." Now I understand that he is a very creative individual, but what he creates is something that I do not appreciate or value.

To create is to generate something new, original or unusual. Not everything new, original or unusual is necessarily beautiful, good or desirable. That's why I think that we sometimes confuse creativity with beauty.

Back to the poll's question, I would have liked to see an "All of the above" option.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: My own sense of creativity is often inspired by

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search