Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]
Poll: What percent of your available work time is booked?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Giles Watson
Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 19:32
Italian to English
In memoriam
Cyril Parkinson May 15, 2012

About half of my working day is "booked" in the sense that I get regular translation jobs on a daily and monthly basis.

Most of the year, I have other work to do as well, which where Parkinson's law (work expands to fill the time available) tends to kick in.

There is the Stock-Sanford Corollary of course (if you wait until the last minute, a job takes only a minute to do) but strict compliance can compromise quality.

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:32
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Currently 100%-plus May 16, 2012

This year I've been telling clients I'm not available because of their proposed deadline, and in some cases they extend their deadlines. As a result, I often have a couple of jobs in the pipeline.

That doesn't mean I"m working 100% of the time. I set aside time for breaks to do other things and tell my clients that I'm not accepting work during that time.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: What percent of your available work time is booked?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »