Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Do you use any special software to manage your freelance translation business?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
May 16, 2012

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you use any special software to manage your freelance translation business?".

This poll was originally submitted by Szymon Metkowski. View the poll results »

Mary Worby
Mary Worby  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:14
German to English
+ ...
Not sure! May 16, 2012

I use accountancy software for all administration aspects of the business, but it is not specific to translation. I'm not sure whether the question refers specifically to translation management software as opposed to any other business management software!

Szymon Metkowski
Szymon Metkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 12:14
German to Polish
+ ...
Management software in general May 16, 2012

I was rather referring to a general management software (project management, invoicing, time management, planning) in opposition to use standard tools like MS Office and self-made Excel-sheets (which is what I do) or not using anything at all.

Suzan Hamer
Suzan Hamer  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English
+ ...
Paymo and Proz invoicing. May 16, 2012

I use the free time tracking from http://www.paymo.biz/, and although Paymo also offers invoicing, I was already using Proz invoicing when I discovered Paymo, so I just continued using it. Both are easy to use and work well for me, and free (I guess; is Proz invoicing only for paying members?)

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
None to speak of May 16, 2012

I use an Excel template for my invoices (a friend cobbled it together for me years ago and I'm still using variations of the same one).

On a personal level, I actually prefer to consider what I do as "activities" rather than "a business" which I always feel sounds slightly grubby. And while I'm not sure how flippant one is permitted to be in these forums, please feel free to choose a humorous response from the options below:
a) Manage? What's that now…?
b) None - I usu
... See more
I use an Excel template for my invoices (a friend cobbled it together for me years ago and I'm still using variations of the same one).

On a personal level, I actually prefer to consider what I do as "activities" rather than "a business" which I always feel sounds slightly grubby. And while I'm not sure how flippant one is permitted to be in these forums, please feel free to choose a humorous response from the options below:
a) Manage? What's that now…?
b) None - I usually get by fine “on a wing and a prayer”
c) None - I would need to learn how to use the software first and I never seem to have time

[Edited at 2012-05-16 08:48 GMT]
Collapse

Magdalena Szymańska
Magdalena Szymańska  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
No, but I would like to May 16, 2012

I have been thinking about it for a while.

It's just that I don't have time to compare different products and to test them to see whether they would really save my time.

But it's on my to-do list.

Alex Lago
Alex Lago  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TO 3000 May 16, 2012

I use TO3000 and though it is not perfect I don't think I could do without it, it certainly makes my life a lot easier and makes keeping track of jobs a breeze.

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
German to English
No, but I "may" like to May 16, 2012

I have been thinking about this for a while, especially getting ads from TO 3000 via ProZ.

I am just concerned about how long it takes to get used this ar any other software and if it really does cut down your admin time.
Trados 2011 has the project tracking function which I do find useful when I use 2011.

I have to find the time to inform myself first

David Wright
David Wright  Identity Verified
Austria
German to English
+ ...
I would if tehre was anything suitable May 16, 2012

but to3000 is far too non-self-evident in its use that it strikes me to be more trouble than it's worth (it's designed for a far moer complex business than that of a freelance translator, as far as I can see).

So it's still Excel files for me!

@ Mary - What accountancy software do you use, by the way?

[Edited at 2012-05-16 09:31 GMT]

John Cutler
John Cutler  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Nope May 16, 2012

Just an Excel file that acts as a list of paid and pending invoices and templates of regular clients' invoices. (Just change amounts and dates each month and presto!).

I'm not against software of any kind, I just don't have the time for more learning curves.

nordiste
nordiste  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
Yes May 16, 2012

TO3000 for project management, I could not do without it !
Timestamp for time tracking
BNC Express for accountancy (agreed by the French tax office)

And various Excel sheet when I feel like investigating productivity or other aspects of my business

Sophie Dzhygir
Sophie Dzhygir  Identity Verified
France
German to French
+ ...
TO3000 May 16, 2012

Alex Lago wrote:

I use TO3000 and though it is not perfect I don't think I could do without it, it certainly makes my life a lot easier and makes keeping track of jobs a breeze.
Same here!

Mary Worby
Mary Worby  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:14
German to English
+ ...
QuickBook May 16, 2012

David Wright wrote:

@ Mary - What accountancy software do you use, by the way?

[Edited at 2012-05-16 09:31 GMT]

I use QuickBooks. Works for me!

Noni Gilbert Riley
Noni Gilbert Riley
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Kherian Soft's Agora May 16, 2012

Which is supposedly custom designed for language schools - I have one, and the accountant includes my translation business on this software. Expensive annual fee, and no obvious improvements although we have been complaining about many very evident major faults for years now. Recently taken over by e-magister. So you won't have great difficulty in reading between the line about my opinion of the programme. But better the devil you know etc...

Marjolein Snippe
Marjolein Snippe  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2012)
English to Dutch
+ ...
maybe I should... May 16, 2012

I'm with John

John Cutler wrote:

Just an Excel file that acts as a list of paid and pending invoices and templates of regular clients' invoices. (Just change amounts and dates each month and presto!).

I'm not against software of any kind, I just don't have the time for more learning curves.

Although I do notice I sometimes struggle to keep everything, most of all my mind, up to date, so maybe I should take a more structured approach at some point.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you use any special software to manage your freelance translation business?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »