https://www.proz.com/forum/poll_discussion/225160-poll_how_often_do_you_update_your_prozcom_profile.html

Poll: How often do you update your ProZ.com profile?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
May 19, 2012

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "How often do you update your ProZ.com profile?".

View the poll results »

Ty Kendall
Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:41
Hebrew to English
Infrequently May 19, 2012

A few more answer options might have been nice.

I tend to update it when something needs changing.

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 13:41
Member (2006)
German to English
"Other" May 19, 2012

same as Ty. Why would you update it if there is nothing to "update"?

Veronica Lupascu
Veronica Lupascu  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Dutch to Romanian
+ ...
I updated it recently May 19, 2012

But last time was one year ago. Infrequently was my answer.

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:41
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Just the photo May 19, 2012

Other than that, I rarely touch it.

Ikram Mahyuddin
Ikram Mahyuddin  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 18:41
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Rarely May 19, 2012

I update it only when I think I need to do it.

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Frequently May 19, 2012

I usually replace my CVs whenever something important needs to be added.
Other than that, rarely.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Rarely May 19, 2012

FYI, here are my latest updates:

"POTENTIAL CLIENTS PLEASE NOTE:
I am not usually willing to provide "test translations" or "updated CVs". And please do NOT ask for my "BEST RATES" - if you are serious, just make me an offer."

Robert Forstag
Robert Forstag  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:41
Spanish to English
+ ...
@Neilmac May 19, 2012

Comment endorsed!

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 20:41
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
@Neilmac May 19, 2012

I'll rubberstamp that and endorse Robert's endorsement, too.

And being asked to do trial trianslations by young whippersnappers who were probably still being wet-nursed when I first started out translating many years ago does get on my boobies!

Small edits

[Edited at 2012-05-19 14:03 GMT]

[Edited at 2012-05-20 03:17 GMT]

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
French to English
Rarely May 19, 2012

Julian Holmes wrote:

I'll rubberstamp that and endorse Robert's endorsement, too.

And being asked to do trial trianslations by young whippersnappers who were probably still being wet-nursed when I first started out translating many years ago does get on my boobies!

Small edits

[Edited at 2012-05-19 14:03 GMT]

[Edited at 2012-05-19 14:29 GMT]

I don't get upset being asked to do test translations though, although it has perhaps only happened half a dozen times in 20 years. Most of my work comes to me through word of mouth.

Maybe some would-be clients have had a couple of rotten experiences and prefer to have a short test piece before committing themselves and their money to some unknown. Having been in the game for a number of years does not guarantee quality, however we might like to believe that is the case, speaking for ourselves (ha, ha). There are texts of dreadful quality being produced by translators who have been working (often, though not always) cheaply for years...and who will continue to do so.

[Edited at 2012-05-19 15:00 GMT]

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 08:41
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Only the availability calendar May 19, 2012

Yet I haven't advised any of my clients that I do it, otherwise it would imply a commitment to keep it updated all the time.

Otherwise, I only update my profile when there is a reason for doing so. Last time I did it was after a major reorganization to my web site.

Audrey Pate
Audrey Pate
Italy
Italian to English
no-test policy May 19, 2012

Neilmac, I do know what you mean, but can't help thinking that you might be better to tone down the comment on your profile, as to be honest (and I don't believe that this is the case) it makes you seem just a little bit presumptuous....

I mean, you obviously have lots of work from satisfied clients and this shows that you are good, but wouldn't it be a little more "commercial"(!) to perhaps explain this individually to any clients that make unreasonable requests rather than putting
... See more
Neilmac, I do know what you mean, but can't help thinking that you might be better to tone down the comment on your profile, as to be honest (and I don't believe that this is the case) it makes you seem just a little bit presumptuous....

I mean, you obviously have lots of work from satisfied clients and this shows that you are good, but wouldn't it be a little more "commercial"(!) to perhaps explain this individually to any clients that make unreasonable requests rather than putting it out there for everyone to see?

No offence meant...it's just my opinion...test translations are a pain in the neck at the best of times...they are always purposely tricky, unpaid of course and not a sure investment.

I have done several tests for clients who proclaimed me "suitable", then never contacted me again. This is probably the type of client that has provoked your no-test policy...

However, I have also had to do tests for the clients I currently get most work from and, more importantly, on many occasions have had to face the arduous task of editing "translations" done by "translators" hired on the spot on the basis of their CVs....

I think that it is reasonable for clients to request that we perform a test, as long as it is short and they are willing to fit in with our schedule. We all know that qualifications alone don't make you a translator and in my view, those who request a test are only making sure you can provide the quality you think (and claim) you can provide before they hire you.

Let me add that in other areas (e.g. your forum posts) I am one of your biggest fans....there are some places where your bluntness is spot on and has me rolling about the aisles of my living room with laughter......

Happy (test) translating!

[Edited at 2012-05-19 15:24 GMT]
Collapse

Interlangue (X)
Interlangue (X)
Angola
English to French
+ ...
Rarely May 19, 2012

Once a year to add one year to the number I've been in translation and more regularly my calendar - which I had not even considered part of my profile until José mentioned it.

Allison Wright (X)
Allison Wright (X)  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 12:41
Rarely May 19, 2012

In the spirit of honesty, though, I updated my photo recently. The previous one was two years old, and I noticed that there is now a slightly a different face looking at me when I look in the mirror...

Otherwise, as others say, only when there is something significant to change.

[Edited at 2012-05-19 18:18 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How often do you update your ProZ.com profile?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »