Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Do you ever find yourself thinking in a mixture of languages?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
May 20, 2012

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you ever find yourself thinking in a mixture of languages?".

View the poll results »

Ty Kendall
Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:41
Hebrew to English
No. May 20, 2012

Never.

Dave Bindon
Dave Bindon  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 22:41
Greek to English
In memoriam
Always May 20, 2012

Talking to myself would be far less interesting if I always replied in the same language.

Paula Hernández
Paula Hernández
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
+ ...
Sometimes May 20, 2012

Certain expressions have a lot more meaning in Japanese, Catalan or English than in Spanish, but also the other way around.

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:41
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Sometimes May 20, 2012

Yesterday I received an e-mail in which a Brazilian relative code-switched 5 times between Portuguese and English. The whole family is like that, and I have fallen into the pattern.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 21:41
Spanish to English
+ ...
Sometimes May 20, 2012

Sometimes it's an effort not to! And as Paula says, some things just sound better or seem more meaningful from the point of view of one language or culture.

PS: Interestingly, I've noticed how I tend to swear in different languages in different situations too...

[Edited at 2012-05-20 10:11 GMT]

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 04:41
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
No, never May 20, 2012

Strictly speaking, not a "mixture" per se. If I did, I would have trouble getting it right when I'm speaking or translating.

Was the question meant to be "Do you ever find yourself switching between two languages when you think?"

It's either one or the other. I do find that sometimes I'm a different "me" when I think in my other language -- very much like Jekyll and Hyde ...
See more
Strictly speaking, not a "mixture" per se. If I did, I would have trouble getting it right when I'm speaking or translating.

Was the question meant to be "Do you ever find yourself switching between two languages when you think?"

It's either one or the other. I do find that sometimes I'm a different "me" when I think in my other language -- very much like Jekyll and Hyde .

At least that's what HE'd like to think.

Added last line.
Edited small typos - having ... trouble ... thinking ... in ... one ... language.

[Edited at 2012-05-20 10:29 GMT]

[Edited at 2012-05-20 10:34 GMT]

[Edited at 2012-05-20 23:07 GMT]
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Sometimes May 20, 2012

Like Julian says it's more a question of switching than mixing, but each time I need to do a quick calculation in my head, such as six times nine, I have to actually say those numbers silently in my mind in Portuguese...

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Me too! May 20, 2012

neilmac wrote:

PS: Interestingly, I've noticed how I tend to swear in different languages in different situations too...

[Edited at 2012-05-20 10:11 GMT]

I almost never swear in Portuguese because it feels wrong to me, but I do swear in French or in English...

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
I remember in the wrong language May 20, 2012

I do find it confusing when, for example, I think back over a phone conversation, thinking "he said this, that and the other", only to realise that I'm remembering the conversation in French when the person only speaks English. Talk of putting words into someone's mouth!

But I don't particularly want my thinking to be too ordered - if you can't let your thoughts wander then it's a pretty sad existence. If I have to pu
... See more
I do find it confusing when, for example, I think back over a phone conversation, thinking "he said this, that and the other", only to realise that I'm remembering the conversation in French when the person only speaks English. Talk of putting words into someone's mouth!

But I don't particularly want my thinking to be too ordered - if you can't let your thoughts wander then it's a pretty sad existence. If I have to put my thoughts into words and the language matters (sometimes it doesn't) then I can make sure all the words come out in the right language. After all, that's what I do!

Sheila
Collapse

John Cutler
John Cutler  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Thinking, etc. May 20, 2012

I'm surrounded by 3 different languages all day long, so I find myself thinking, speaking and dreaming in a mixture of languages. They're all so natural at this point that I almost don't notice changing from one to the other. My most embarrasing experience was when I was working as a tour guide giving a bilingual consecutively translated explanation in English and Catalan of local Roman ruins. I finished a brief explanation and then drew a complete blank as to which language I had said it in. I... See more
I'm surrounded by 3 different languages all day long, so I find myself thinking, speaking and dreaming in a mixture of languages. They're all so natural at this point that I almost don't notice changing from one to the other. My most embarrasing experience was when I was working as a tour guide giving a bilingual consecutively translated explanation in English and Catalan of local Roman ruins. I finished a brief explanation and then drew a complete blank as to which language I had said it in. I had to stop and ask the crowd what language I had just been using.Collapse

christela (X)
christela (X)
yes May 20, 2012

But it is related to the person I am talking to, or subject-related. I use four languages on a daily basis and switch easily from the one to the other and am trained to answer in the other person's language. At home I think in a mixture of language depending on the subject but can only do my work in my native language. As files come often in two languages, and especially when I am tired, it happens that I am translating from my native language into my native language (just rephrasing...)

Helen Hagon
Helen Hagon  Identity Verified
Member (2011)
Russian to English
+ ...
No May 20, 2012

My family only speak English, so I only ever use other languages outside of my family environment in specific work or social situations. Therefore I find it fairly easy to 'compartmentalise' the languages in my head.

On the subject of swearing, though, I have a multilingual friend who swears in different languages. If she swears in French she is mildly annoyed, if she uses Flemish she is quite angry, but when she uses Maltese it is time to take cover!

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Not only thinking... May 20, 2012

Thinking and speaking in a mixture of the languages I - and most people around me - speak, almost comes "natural". Not even writing the grocery list in which language comes first to mind for the items is anything "unnatural". However, things can be a little trick - and very funny - when I use the words that come to my mind first, but none of those present at that time speak that particular language.

Elizabeth Novesky
Elizabeth Novesky  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:41
Member (2009)
Spanish to English
mostly in writing! May 20, 2012

I often find that I'll read an email or something else written in Spanish, and even though I'm looking at the Spanish words, I'm reading in English. Does that make sense? I guess my brain just starts translating automatically so by the time I'm actually thinking about it, it's already in the other language.

I have been known to ask my husband, who does not speak or read any other languages, to take a look at correspondence, only to have him tell me it's in another language!

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you ever find yourself thinking in a mixture of languages?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »