https://www.proz.com/forum/poll_discussion/225238-poll_have_you_made_financial_plans_preparations_for_retirement.html

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Have you made financial plans/preparations for retirement?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
May 21, 2012

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Have you made financial plans/preparations for retirement?".

View the poll results »

Mary Worby
Mary Worby  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:20
German to English
+ ...
Voted 'other' May 21, 2012

Because, once again, there is no option for just plain no. I haven't yet, I like to consider I'm still young, but I will at some point, obviously!

Veronica Lupascu
Veronica Lupascu  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 01:20
Dutch to Romanian
+ ...
Other May 21, 2012

I made the plan, signed a contract, payed contributions 2 times and... tadada! the company I signed the contract with became suddenly bankrupt.

I managed to receive my money back.

David Wright
David Wright  Identity Verified
Austria
German to English
+ ...
Not much choice May 21, 2012

It's getting too damned close - so yes, I have made preparations (also encouraged to do so by tax breaks for certain invetsments for retirement)

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
No May 21, 2012

I haven't made any preparations for retirement, basically because I most likely will not retire.

Marjolein Snippe
Marjolein Snippe  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2012)
English to Dutch
+ ...
a very meagre retirement... May 21, 2012

I make monthly payments into a type of private retirement plan. If I don't increase these it will be a very meagre retirement - but I still have many years of working life in front of me so I am not too concerned yet.

Allison Wright (X)
Allison Wright (X)  Identity Verified
Portugal
Inadequate ones May 21, 2012

Efforts continue to improve the situation. I do not envisage retiring for at least another 20 years, by which time I may have perfected the art of living on love and fresh air.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other May 21, 2012

Other than keep on working until my faculties fail me or I drop down dead, I have no retirement plans. Anyway, it is now far too late for me to consider anything.

When I was younger I never really looked to the future and after a couple of company pension plans I was in when working for local authorities went bust, I decided not to bother looking elsewhere. I have little or no state pension entitlements either in UK or Spain, and it/they would be a pittance anyway. So here's hopin
... See more
Other than keep on working until my faculties fail me or I drop down dead, I have no retirement plans. Anyway, it is now far too late for me to consider anything.

When I was younger I never really looked to the future and after a couple of company pension plans I was in when working for local authorities went bust, I decided not to bother looking elsewhere. I have little or no state pension entitlements either in UK or Spain, and it/they would be a pittance anyway. So here's hoping I can manage to keep going.

The situation is different for people who don't like their job, but as it stands translating is one of my favourite activities so I don't feel I want to give it up anyway.

PS: I never really believed in buying property on a mortgage or loan basis either, so I have no assets to fall back on. Then again, I have no debts either, which helps me remain relatively stress-free despite all the current doom and gloom

[Edited at 2012-05-21 10:36 GMT]
Collapse

Madalena Ribeiro
Madalena Ribeiro  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Yes May 21, 2012

Yes

Interlangue (X)
Interlangue (X)
Angola
English to French
+ ...
Yes May 21, 2012

From the very first day I started working: the state scheme is compulsory here.
I've been working for 37 years but will not be entitled to enough to live decently, so I started a private scheme when I began translating part time and added another when I switched to full time. Those savings cost a awful lot but they are tax deductible to a certain extent.

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
German to English
Yes, as a must May 21, 2012

Of course, and I am sorry, I you are self employed and do not make sure you get a private pension, then there is something wrong with your business plan.

I do not want to sleep under a bridge when I retire.

Private pension and paying off my flat.

William Murphy
William Murphy  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
Italian to English
+ ...
Other - what would I do then? May 21, 2012

neilmac wrote:

The situation is different for people who don't like their job, but as it stands translating is one of my favorite activities so I don't feel I want to give it up anyway.

I feel exactly like Neil does about this.

Sonia Hill
Sonia Hill
United Kingdom
Italian to English
Yes, but only to some extent May 21, 2012

I'm paying into a private pension. However, the amount I'm paying in is not really enough and I will need to have other forms of income too. I'm still fairly young, so I guess I have at least another 30 years of work ahead of me, which hopefully gives me enough time to get everything into order.

Interlangue (X)
Interlangue (X)
Angola
English to French
+ ...
Disagree May 21, 2012

neilmac wrote:

The situation is different for people who don't like their job, but as it stands translating is one of my favourite activities so I don't feel I want to give it up anyway.

PS: I never really believed in buying property on a mortgage or loan basis either, so I have no assets to fall back on. Then again, I have no debts either, which helps me remain relatively stress-free despite all the current doom and gloom

[Edited at 2012-05-21 10:36 GMT]

I cannot agree with that! Things are different also for people who love their job but have the responsibility of a growing child and want to take him/her through higher education no matter what!

If I had not bought a house when I was able to, and paid it off by now, I could not afford more than just one room in (a small) town today: the price of housing has more than doubled in 20 years, rents nearly tripled, not to speak of the price of basics or taxes. Earnings never keep up!

I do not want to give up translating, but I may have to, some day – for health reasons for instance. I do not want to depend on charity, public or private.

inkweaver
inkweaver  Identity Verified
Germany
French to German
+ ...
No need to be sorry May 21, 2012

Michael Harris wrote:

Of course, and I am sorry, I you are self employed and do not make sure you get a private pension, then there is something wrong with your business plan.

I do not want to sleep under a bridge when I retire.

Private pension and paying off my flat.

If your plans actually always work out, count yourself lucky.

I don't think anyone would want to sleep under a bridge, but I found that things in our business are pretty unpredictable and I wouldn't want to invest in a pension plan that won't let me withdraw my money if I needed it or only with a huge loss.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Have you made financial plans/preparations for retirement?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »