Poll: What is the largest number of jobs you have ever completed in one day?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
Local time: 05:27
SITE STAFF
May 27, 2012

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "What is the largest number of jobs you have ever completed in one day?".

This poll was originally submitted by Amar Nath. View the poll results »

Direct link Reply with quote

Mary Worby  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:27
German to English
+ ...
I don't know ... May 27, 2012

... but definitely more than five. I quite often have days made up entirely of small jobs, eight wouldn't be unusual, ten would be stretching it!

Teresa Borges
Portugal
Local time: 13:27
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Like Mary May 27, 2012

I don't know, I was too busy to count them, but most likely around 5/6. By then, I worked as a sworn translator and had a lot of birth certificates, marriage certificates, driving licences and the like...

Dave Bindon  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 15:27
Member (2010)
Greek to English
>15 May 27, 2012

I do a lot of work for an insurance company and frequently end up with 15+ claims to deal with.

Robert Forstag  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:27
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Where is the option "2" May 27, 2012

We have the option "less than 2" and then "3."

Is it too much to expect these polls to respect the rules of kindergarten arithmetic?

Anyway, the question is rather meaningless, since a "job" might be something that can be knocked off in 10 minutes. The relevant datum here would be "highest number of words in one day" (whether in single or multiple jobs).

Of course, this has been addressed in at least one previous (recent) poll.

[Edited at 2012-05-27 10:46 GMT]

Paul VALET  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 14:27
English to French
+ ...
I agree with Robert Forstag May 27, 2012

Robert Forstag wrote:

Anyway, the question is rather meaningless, since a "job" might be something that can be knocked off in 10 minutes. The relevant datum here would be "highest number of words in one day" (whether in single or multiple jobs).

]

This is just common sense.

Paul Valet

José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 10:27
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Definitely meaningless May 27, 2012

One client of mine, yes, a translation agency, requires an invoice for each job delivered, no matter what. Of course, electronic docs, I just quickly fill in an e-form, print to PDF, and it's done. The integer amounts on these invoices for this client alone span from 1 to 4 digits in USD. The only 5-digit job so far was done in stages, so it was split over some 4 separate invoices.

This is just ONE example, I'd have many others, so it makes no sense to count. One day we are wholesalers, on the other we are involved with small retail, however we remain "word merchants".

neilmac  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other May 27, 2012

Define "jobs". I usually do basic translations or what I call revisions. Sometimes I may do something for clients and simply not bother to charge or count them. In fact, I have never counted how many jobs I've done in a day and I don't see the point in starting now.

So basically... "I don't know".

[Edited at 2012-05-27 13:43 GMT]

Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 07:27
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
3 May 27, 2012

3 short jobs:
- A birth certificate
- A short patent
- An instruction booklet

Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:27
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
3 May 27, 2012

I don't like to take short jobs because the paperwork can be more of a hassle than the translation itself.

My assignments tend to range between 4,000 to 50,000 words.

Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 21:27
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Short jobs for regular customers only May 28, 2012

I agree with Muriel here.

Muriel Vasconcellos wrote:
I don't like to take short jobs because the paperwork can be more of a hassle than the translation itself. My assignments tend to range between 4,000 to 50,000 words.

The paperwork involved for a 0.5 page job is exactly the same as that for a 50- or 500-page job.

So, I do short or rush jobs for regular customers only.

@Robert Forstag
Once again, I agree with Robert.

Another thing to bear in mind is that efficiency drops proportionately to the number of different jobs you are doing when you multitask. This is why I prefer mid- to large-size jobs. Less paperwork and continued high efficiency peaking just before your efficiency threshold.

JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Local time: 08:27
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Exactly 2. May 28, 2012

As Robert Forstag said, the option "exactly 2" was not given. The options jump from "less than 2" to "3."

I think, however, that there's nothing wrong with the question. I don't need a definition of "job"--it means an assignment that requires an invoice. I assume that the point of this poll has to do with whether we, as a group, do lots of small jobs or a few large ones (or perhaps lots of large jobs?). As usual, we learn more from the discussion in the forum than from the raw data of poll results.

I have, on several occasions, done two shorter jobs in one day. I can't recall ever having done three or more in the same day. However, I work at odd hours during the day and night (like right now, when I'm taking a short break at 1:03 am and plan to work three or four more hours before going to bed). Therefore, I think more in terms of hours than of days.

I keep careful records of hours worked (not counting breaks for meals, snacks, answering the phone, etc.), because I like to calculate how much I'm making per hour. Most of my jobs take at least 30 hours of focused, timed work--so clearly, I don't usually do more than one job per day!

Jane

xxxInterlangue
Angola
English to French
+ ...
Other May 28, 2012

I do not remember. Once upon a time, I did around 750 jobs(order numbers)/year, big or small, to divide by the number of days I worked/year = 260 (5 days a week, 52 weeks).
In those days, I used to do a lot of press releases (IT and financial news of IT companies).

Today, I do longer jobs (or several files have just one job number) with a few snacks in between (supplements to previous jobs for instance). The odd sentence here and there, I do not invoice and do not give a job number either.

For instance: Friday, I translated 4 files for one job number (= 1 job for me) and 9 files for another (=1 job for me). On Saturday, I revised the first series of 4. On Sunday, I did the 9 others. Today, I will do the final reading of the whole lot (2 job numbers, 2 subjects, 2 different clients, but 13 files all in all for a total of 900 lines or 30 pages).

I would say I did 2 jobs in 4 days, but what if you decide that each file is one job.

Also, I try never to review or proofread on the same day, so I hardly ever do one job in one day

tradu-grace  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
option 2 May 28, 2012

Option 2 is missing.

Short jobs for regular customers only.

Moreover, I agree with Robert.

Chris S  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
I disagree strongly with Robert Forstag et al May 28, 2012

Robert Forstag wrote:

We have the option "less than 2" and then "3."

Is it too much to expect these polls to respect the rules of kindergarten arithmetic?

Of course, this has been addressed in at least one previous (recent) poll.

[Edited at 2012-05-27 10:46 GMT]

This is a completely different question. Having to get several jobs finalised and out to customers in a day is a very different kind of nightmare to getting a huge number of words translated in a day.

You can also legitimately send out 6-7 jobs in a day without compromising quality, which cannot be said for those who claim to be able to do 10,000+ words in a day.

FYI Robert the option of 5 is also missing. It is entirely clear what is meant, and the incorrect signs may well not be down to the asker. What is it about Internet forums that makes people so pedantic (and offensive)?

[Edited at 2012-05-29 16:51 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: What is the largest number of jobs you have ever completed in one day?

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search