Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Think of your favourite client. What makes him/her your favourite?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Jun 8, 2012

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Think of your favourite client. What makes him/her your favourite?".

This poll was originally submitted by Audrey Pate. View the poll results »

Mary Worby
Mary Worby  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:59
German to English
+ ...
A combination of factors Jun 8, 2012

But mainly the rates! Professionalism and sensible deadlines also go a long way.

Simon Bruni
Simon Bruni  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Spanish to English
Interesting projects, mainly, though not without decent rates Jun 8, 2012

In order of importance my favourite client provides interesting projects, relatively high rates and friendly/professional communication.

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:59
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
All of the above but most importantly the quality standards. Jun 8, 2012

This means they will diplomatically fend off bizarro internal reviewers on end client side who are neither native speakers of the target nor the source language but who feel compelled to review texts because, hey! who cares if they speak Spanish, they sat through some years of one of the involved languages in high school after all. (Recent example).

Maria Isabel Pazos Gómez
Maria Isabel Pazos Gómez  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 21:59
German to Spanish
+ ...
Feeling comfortable! Jun 8, 2012

Rates are important, but not my main criteria to feel comfortable. I appreciate a confidential relationship and having fun while working.

mabel

Judith Anne Smith
Judith Anne Smith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
+ ...
All of the above! Jun 8, 2012

That's what makes it so fantastic each time I am contacted! Keeps me busy, but no rush, my specialty subjects, immediate payment with fair rates, etc. A former employer, by the way.

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 04:59
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
All of the above Jun 8, 2012

AND their appreciation of the hard work I've put in to give them a quality product.

Have a good weekend!

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
French to English
Professionals being professional Jun 8, 2012

Good translators appreciate good clients and share the same objectives.

Antonio Fajardo
Antonio Fajardo  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Shares your quality standards Jun 8, 2012

The real reason is not listed, but I chose this one just to avoid "other" or "all the above".

What I like most in this client is that he gives me big volumes translations regularly.

Ty Kendall
Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Hebrew to English
Is favouritism professional? Jun 8, 2012

Just wondering.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
All of the above Jun 8, 2012

My favourite client has been with me for over 20 years, is very easy to communicate with, has interesting projects, is clear about instructions for assignments and pays well and promptly... I couldn’t ask for more!

Michal Surmař
Michal Surmař  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2010)
English to Czech
+ ...
Straightforward hiring process + real jobs on a regular basis ... Jun 8, 2012

... as opposed to beating around the bush to translate a 3-word “project” once in a blue moon.

-------------

When talking about some translation agencies, of course ...

My direct clients usually come with "real" and very interesting jobs.

[Edited at 2012-06-08 10:38 GMT]

---------------------

[Edited at 2012-06-08 10:39 GMT]

Ivan Niu
Ivan Niu  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 03:59
Member (2011)
English to Chinese
A combination of the above Jun 8, 2012

NO 1. Pays high rates (or at least not lower than my average rate)
NO 2. Timely payment (or when they can't pay on time sometimes, they will notify me in advance)
NO 3. Good communication: brief and clear instructions and explanations, always confirm receipt, fast response

Phil Hand
Phil Hand  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 03:59
Chinese to English
Rates usually implies the other stuff Jun 8, 2012

I know friendly and lovely agencies who care about quality - but they can't afford me.

When the rates are good I'm not that fussed about speedy payment (I outsource the paperwork to my other half). I don't even care if they mess with my translations. I produce high quality work because it's important to me, not really because of the clients. So all that's important is that I get enough moolah to pay the rent and school the sprogs.

And pay for Starbucks. Weirdly, I wor
... See more
I know friendly and lovely agencies who care about quality - but they can't afford me.

When the rates are good I'm not that fussed about speedy payment (I outsource the paperwork to my other half). I don't even care if they mess with my translations. I produce high quality work because it's important to me, not really because of the clients. So all that's important is that I get enough moolah to pay the rent and school the sprogs.

And pay for Starbucks. Weirdly, I work better in coffee shops.
Collapse

Ty Kendall
Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Hebrew to English
Agree Jun 8, 2012

Phil Hand wrote:

And pay for Starbucks. Weirdly, I work better in coffee shops.

Good, professional rates usually go hand in hand with all the other options on the list. However the reverse isn't always so.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Think of your favourite client. What makes him/her your favourite?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »