Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: After not translating for some time, do you ever forget your translation style?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Trevor Chichester
Trevor Chichester  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:04
Member (2012)
German to English
+ ...
Exactly. Jun 28, 2012

Helen Hagon wrote:

Surely it's like riding a bike? You may be a bit wobbly after a while spent out of the saddle, but you never really forget how to ride.

I'm not sure I've been out of the saddle very much recently, though...

My thoughts exactly.

Rebecca Garber
Rebecca Garber  Identity Verified
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
I have no "style" Jun 28, 2012

The texts have style. My job is to convey that style.

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
I am always writing Jun 28, 2012

neilmac wrote:

Sorry, am not familiar with the notion of "not translating for some time". The longest I ever seem to go without translating is about 2-3 days max... or maybe about a week if I'm on vacation.

Even when I'm not translating, I am writing or thinking of things to write about (I blog, by the way, on translation).

I am wondering what possessed the poll's author to say "after not translating for some time." I suppose that translation can be a hobby for a few, a part-time job for some, but for me and the rest of the contributing polled majority, it's a profession, not just an activity to fill our days.

The question also smacks of oversimplification: "your translation style" makes me think of ONE single personal translation style. Really? Is this what the concept of translation has been reduced to?

I write in several styles, and my translations are no exception. The style will depend, mainly, on two factors: audience and type of text.

Too bad many of these polls are just soundbites asking for more soundbites.

Simon Bruni
Simon Bruni  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:04
Member (2009)
Spanish to English
What's a "translation style"? Jun 28, 2012

That's the question.

If I had to choose a style it would be "determined and nimble".

Erik Matson
Erik Matson  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 22:04
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Always translating Jun 28, 2012

Same here

Jose Arnoldo Rodriguez-Carrington wrote:

neilmac wrote:

Sorry, am not familiar with the notion of "not translating for some time". The longest I ever seem to go without translating is about 2-3 days max... or maybe about a week if I'm on vacation.

The same for me!

Renee Mazloum
Renee Mazloum
Spain
Local time: 17:04
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Style isn't like a set of keys that can be misplaced or forgotten. Jun 28, 2012

My style is a part of me, just like my eyes or my hands.
Translating is a bit like exercising; the more you exercise, the more agile you become. If you suddenly stop exercising (or translating), I don't think you'll ever forget how to do it; it might just take you longer to feel like you're with the game.

Allison Wright (X)
Allison Wright (X)  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 16:04
"Fashion passes, style remains" Jun 28, 2012

That's according to Coco Chanel.

After not translating in one of my language pairs for a while I may take a bit of time to get back up to speed on source text scrutiny, but the way I translate is the way I translate.

When does a translator stop translating? I am always translating something in my head.

The thing I am most likely to forget is my mobile phone, but then it serves no useful purpose when translating....
See more
That's according to Coco Chanel.

After not translating in one of my language pairs for a while I may take a bit of time to get back up to speed on source text scrutiny, but the way I translate is the way I translate.

When does a translator stop translating? I am always translating something in my head.

The thing I am most likely to forget is my mobile phone, but then it serves no useful purpose when translating.
Collapse

Tatty
Tatty  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
+ ...
The translating process Jun 28, 2012

I'm not really sure that I have a translating style but I have a consistent approach to translating. I always go through the same process. I've taken two long breaks during my translating career, both times to pursue further training. When I came back to it the first time, in some respects I had improved but I had forgotten terminology that I used to have at my fingertips. And the second time is just about to commence, and I know that I have forgotten terminology. I'm sure I will be rusty. But l... See more
I'm not really sure that I have a translating style but I have a consistent approach to translating. I always go through the same process. I've taken two long breaks during my translating career, both times to pursue further training. When I came back to it the first time, in some respects I had improved but I had forgotten terminology that I used to have at my fingertips. And the second time is just about to commence, and I know that I have forgotten terminology. I'm sure I will be rusty. But luckily I've always timed my returns to coincide with summer, this way I can ease myself back into it. Deadlines tend to be more relaxed here in Spain during the baking hot summer months.Collapse

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:04
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
I may lose a little speed Jun 29, 2012

When my students used to complain about homework, I'd tell my students that I am rusty on Monday mornings, hit my stride by Wednesday evening, then taper off toward the end of the week.

But I never lose my writing style. It's in my DNA, I think.

Marc Cordes
Marc Cordes  Identity Verified
Poland
English to German
+ ...
Useful poll? Jun 29, 2012

My thoughts on that: ............hmmm...........No.

Georgie Scott
Georgie Scott  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
No stupid questions.... Jun 29, 2012

I was recently speaking to someone who works in QC for a translation agency and was thinking about leaving to begin working freelance.

I asked if they had been practicing much direct translation, and the answer was here and there for fun, but not that much really.

The assumption was that seeing and correcting so many translations a day would be just as useful.

Personally, I have noticed that there were times last year where I would spend a week interpreti
... See more
I was recently speaking to someone who works in QC for a translation agency and was thinking about leaving to begin working freelance.

I asked if they had been practicing much direct translation, and the answer was here and there for fun, but not that much really.

The assumption was that seeing and correcting so many translations a day would be just as useful.

Personally, I have noticed that there were times last year where I would spend a week interpreting, and then when I went to translate, I would have to spend a bit more time on the first text. Certainly, I might find my ability to modulate is a bit slower after any small break (two days...), but I just plug on through.

To counter this, when I switch activities, say between interpreting, proofreading and translation, I do try to factor in extra time. Equally when I go to hold a whisky tasting after a long stint without one, I will give myself more time to prepare than if I've held 3 this week already.

Certainly it is like riding a bike, and although until January I used to cycle 60km a day and have the capacity to cycle over 200km a day, if someone asked me to do it tomorrow, I'd find it rather difficult, because I haven't been on a bike since January. For me, my actual experience with cycling could certainly be applied to translation if I ever ran out of work: I currently have no access to a bike, there are no long paths to cycle where I am, but I am running 4 times a week, swimming and learning capoeira. I never cease to practice exercises that I know will keep my cycling muscles active.

I could cycle 200km tomorrow, but if I wanted to cycle in the style that I've found most efficient for the type of terrain facing me, it will take a little bit of practicing all the different factors that bring that style into effect, to bring me back to my top level.

I do have an inherent cycling style, but I only use it when I'm being lazy and just want to cycle somewhere hard and fast whilst enjoying the view.
Otherwise I am constantly trying out new positions, equipment and exercises, mimicking other cycling styles I have encountered, testing my conclusions about efficiency or practicing some style factor, even when I'm racing.

I hope I switch it up frequently enough never to become complacent.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: After not translating for some time, do you ever forget your translation style?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »