Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Would you reduce your price if a client was particularly friendly/pleasant?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Jul 5, 2012

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Would you reduce your price if a client was particularly friendly/pleasant?".

This poll was originally submitted by MNtranslates. View the poll results »

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 02:54
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes Jul 5, 2012

As long as the friendliness is genuine. I believe in carrot as well as stick. It's nice to be nice.

Mary Worby
Mary Worby  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:54
German to English
+ ...
No Jul 5, 2012

But I would voice my refusal in a more friendly/pleasant way!

David Hayes
David Hayes  Identity Verified
France
French to English
No Jul 5, 2012

No. Likewise, I would not increase my rate if the client was particularly unfriendly/unpleasant. My rates are not based on clients' behaviour (my availability to work with them, however, certainly is!).

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
German to English
Other Jul 5, 2012

No, why? Business is business and if their agency / company requested that I would reduce my rates for financial reasons, then I would consider it, but reduce my rates just for th efun of it, nope!

It is the same as asking if you would pay more money for a new car because the salesperson is nice and friendly?

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 09:54
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
No way! Jul 5, 2012

But I would be equally friendly and pleasant when I bill them
If it comes to carrots and sticks, I've had too much of the latter these past few years.

Mind you, I have often felt like billing troublesome, obnoxious and surly customers more!

Added last line

[Edited at 2012-07-05 12:25 GMT]

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 01:54
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Perhaps... Jul 5, 2012

... depending on many other factors, but I wouldn't for sure if he was even vaguely rude!

Evija Rimšāne
Evija Rimšāne  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 03:54
English to Latvian
No. Why should I? Jul 5, 2012

Business is business. If I was particularly friendly with my dentist and smiled throughout the whole dental procedure, would s/he reduce my bill?

John Cutler
John Cutler  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Perhaps Jul 5, 2012

Perhaps, but I'd take advantage of such wonderful pleasantness and the great low rate I'd give for it and also ask them to walk my dog, take the kids to school and empty the dishwasher for me (I hate doing that).

Denise Phelps
Denise Phelps  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes Jul 5, 2012

Maybe things are different in Spain.

My garage charges me less because the owner is friends with my neighbour. My vet charges me less because I used to have so many cats I virtually lived in his waiting room. My dentist charges me less because we know each other from a course we did together. Yesterday I was offered a discount in a furniture shop simply because I got talking to the vendor.

Some years ago, I offered a particularly friendly client a rate lower than
... See more
Maybe things are different in Spain.

My garage charges me less because the owner is friends with my neighbour. My vet charges me less because I used to have so many cats I virtually lived in his waiting room. My dentist charges me less because we know each other from a course we did together. Yesterday I was offered a discount in a furniture shop simply because I got talking to the vendor.

Some years ago, I offered a particularly friendly client a rate lower than my usual rate. Through him, I now have around 5 or 6 other friendly direct clients.

When you live in a society that still relies to a large extent on word of mouth and personal recommendations, offering carrots makes sense.
Collapse

Pascale Pluton
Pascale Pluton  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2005)
English to French
+ ...
no, but Jul 5, 2012

I do not think being nice, by itself, is a reason for lowering a price.
Actually, I tend to believe that beeing nice should be the norm. We do not have a master-slave relation here, but one of equals

However, if I have been working some time with an nice client I incidentally tend to 'go the extra mile' when necessary.

For instance, a shorter deadline (within the feasible) without rising my rate, a tiny translation for free. Some advice or help for free....... See more
I do not think being nice, by itself, is a reason for lowering a price.
Actually, I tend to believe that beeing nice should be the norm. We do not have a master-slave relation here, but one of equals

However, if I have been working some time with an nice client I incidentally tend to 'go the extra mile' when necessary.

For instance, a shorter deadline (within the feasible) without rising my rate, a tiny translation for free. Some advice or help for free....

There are more ways to show your appreciation dan just lowering your price.

If your price reflects your value and your competence, why should you lower your price? Are you all of a sudden less competent?
Collapse

Noni Gilbert Riley
Noni Gilbert Riley
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Put it this way Jul 5, 2012

If the client was particularly unfriendly/unpleasant, I definitely wouldn't contemplate any price reductions.

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Normally no Jul 5, 2012

... But only yesterday an agency did ask me if I would set my rate down for a non-profit organisation that they are sponsoring. Not for their normal, commercial jobs.

The agency is one of my favourites, and the job looks interesting, so of course, I said yes. It is probably going to be quite a challenge, and will involve a lot of work... but I don't mind for a good cause.

Otherwise, I regard being friendly as a normal part of business relations. And so are my rates. <
... See more
... But only yesterday an agency did ask me if I would set my rate down for a non-profit organisation that they are sponsoring. Not for their normal, commercial jobs.

The agency is one of my favourites, and the job looks interesting, so of course, I said yes. It is probably going to be quite a challenge, and will involve a lot of work... but I don't mind for a good cause.

Otherwise, I regard being friendly as a normal part of business relations. And so are my rates.

Collapse

macimovic
macimovic
Netherlands
English to Serbian
+ ...
yes and no Jul 5, 2012

Yes - for the returning clients and/or those who have large projects (as discount)
No- just for being friendly wouldn't be the reason to lower my prices

In both cases, being pleasant is a bonus but not a guide for my decision making.

564354352 (X)
564354352 (X)  Identity Verified
Denmark
Danish to English
+ ...
Other - that little extra touch Jul 5, 2012

As others here, I presume mutual professional respect to be the norm and try to avoid clients who are unreasonably demanding or outright rude.

My rates are normally fixed, although I may be willing to consider a discount based on very high fuzzy matches/repetitions, or occasionally based on volume.

However, I believe in developing a good working relationship with my clients, and not all work is a matter of money to me. For instance, I like to return neatly formatted tex
... See more
As others here, I presume mutual professional respect to be the norm and try to avoid clients who are unreasonably demanding or outright rude.

My rates are normally fixed, although I may be willing to consider a discount based on very high fuzzy matches/repetitions, or occasionally based on volume.

However, I believe in developing a good working relationship with my clients, and not all work is a matter of money to me. For instance, I like to return neatly formatted text regardless of the state of the original files; I set up unprocessable texts in bilingual tables; I carry out post-translation corrections when the client wants to insert the odd extra sentece or change minor parts of the text, and from time to time, I translate very tiny texts (a phrase or two), all without charging for this.

My thinking is that I want my clients to be satisfied with the end product and I am willing to do that little bit extra to make sure they receive a product that is ready to be used, regardless of the state of the original text forwarded for translation.

Obviously, I don't do huge desktop jobs for free, especially not when they come from agencies who are much better equipped for this.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Would you reduce your price if a client was particularly friendly/pleasant?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »