Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: If you work at home and are alone during the day, do you usually chat with someone?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Jul 12, 2012

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "If you work at home and are alone during the day, do you usually chat with someone?".

View the poll results »

Angus Stewart
Angus Stewart  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:20
Member (2011)
French to English
+ ...
I am not alone Jul 12, 2012

Working at home means that I am not alone. However, if I am busy with work I prefer to focus on translating rather than to get distracted by chatting to someone during the working day. It is important to establish and maintain appropriate boundaries between work and private life.

Mary Worby
Mary Worby  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
I am not normally alone Jul 12, 2012

Although I'm alone in the room, my husband is normally around the house somewhere if I need a chat. Otherwise, my main social interaction during the day comes from social media.

Russell Jones
Russell Jones  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Italian to English
Skype Jul 12, 2012

Yes; by Skype with the very friendly Italian PMs I have the good fortune to work with.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I work at home and I'm (usually) alone Jul 12, 2012

I chat almost every day with my daughters, whether I’m in Brussels or in Lisbon, but some time ago, being overbooked (I mean extremely busy), a whole weekend went by without talking to anyone!

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 17:20
Spanish to English
+ ...
Combination Jul 12, 2012

Sometimes I chat with colleagues or friends via Skype, which usually consists of work-related ranting and raving about shared clients... or just idle chitchat.
If any friends or my landlord pop in when passing I usually have a bit of a chaff with them too. Then there's the animals; I usually end up effing and blinding at my three hens at some point in the day as they mob me and trip me up; I might also have the odd word or two with the dog or cat... but I rarely talk to the plants, and t
... See more
Sometimes I chat with colleagues or friends via Skype, which usually consists of work-related ranting and raving about shared clients... or just idle chitchat.
If any friends or my landlord pop in when passing I usually have a bit of a chaff with them too. Then there's the animals; I usually end up effing and blinding at my three hens at some point in the day as they mob me and trip me up; I might also have the odd word or two with the dog or cat... but I rarely talk to the plants, and then only if they seem really crestfallen, as I think they usually prefer to be left in peace to get on with it.
Collapse

Marlene Blanshay
Marlene Blanshay  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 12:20
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
occasionally Jul 12, 2012

if it's work related, but I try not to get distracted by chat when I'm working. I do have MSN and SKYPE open in case someone wants to contact me for something work related.

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 01:20
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
We are not alone... Jul 12, 2012

At least that's what my computer Britney and I think.

I sit for long hours in front of my computer for work and not for pleasure and socializing. As Angus quite rightly points out, it's important to draw "appropriate boundaries between work and private life."
If I didn't, I'd get complacent and deliver sloppy work to customers which they wouldn't appreciate at all! ...
See more
At least that's what my computer Britney and I think.

I sit for long hours in front of my computer for work and not for pleasure and socializing. As Angus quite rightly points out, it's important to draw "appropriate boundaries between work and private life."
If I didn't, I'd get complacent and deliver sloppy work to customers which they wouldn't appreciate at all!

If I want to have a chat, I'd down tools, leave the office and go upstairs and talk with the family, if anyone's home, that is, or talk with my kids by phone in the evening (they've grown up and flown the nest).
Or, I'd visit one of many waterholes I know and have a chinwag with fellow kindred souls.

And, if I ever get lonely in the office, well, there's always Britney to talk to...
Collapse

Noni Gilbert Riley
Noni Gilbert Riley
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Who needs other people to talk to? Jul 12, 2012

After all, I've got myself to hand, and at least I agree with what I have to say....!

Filipa Plant dos Santos
Filipa Plant dos Santos  Identity Verified
Portugal
Portuguese to English
The husband Jul 12, 2012

Usually rings me up to see how I'm getting along, plus the four cats keep me company (constant demands - they treat the house like a hotel!!!).

Plus - I'm not really at home all day, as I go and pick up my children at different times of day, and try and get a good chat in with any other parent I can find!!

One thing - if you're all alone and feeling a bit down, I recommend looking at The Daily Mash, a (often very rude - be warned) satirical online "newspaper" - it makes
... See more
Usually rings me up to see how I'm getting along, plus the four cats keep me company (constant demands - they treat the house like a hotel!!!).

Plus - I'm not really at home all day, as I go and pick up my children at different times of day, and try and get a good chat in with any other parent I can find!!

One thing - if you're all alone and feeling a bit down, I recommend looking at The Daily Mash, a (often very rude - be warned) satirical online "newspaper" - it makes me laugh out loud - it's very stupid. Some of the "articles" won't make much sense to those of us living outside the UK, but some of them will. Check out, under News/International - "Euros Disintegrating in Sunlight" http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/international/euros-disintegrating-in-sunlight-2012051827563 or "Greeks Apologise with Huge Horse" http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/international/greeks-apologise-with-huge-horse-2012051527146 (these two articles are not so rude!).

[Edited at 2012-07-12 11:15 GMT]
Collapse

Chun Un
Chun Un  Identity Verified
Macau
Member (2007)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Normally I am not alone but Jul 12, 2012

if the situation arises I should be happy to switch myself off so to speak and stop talking for a day! I consider it sheer bliss to not have to talk from time to time. Mind you, I also work as an interpreter besides translating and when I am interpreting I have no choice but keep on talking...

[Edited at 2012-07-13 02:43 GMT]

[Edited at 2012-07-13 02:44 GMT]

[Edited at 2012-07-13 02:47 GMT]

Sophie Dzhygir
Sophie Dzhygir  Identity Verified
France
German to French
+ ...
Not alone Jul 12, 2012

My husband also works from home. And my cat is here too.
On top of that, I also happen to chat via MSN and to meet real people in the course of the day (neighbours, relatives calling in, people from the shop...)

Hege Jakobsen Lepri
Hege Jakobsen Lepri  Identity Verified
Norway
Member (2002)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
I have a couple of colleagues on Skype Jul 12, 2012

- and we usually chat a bit every day, sometimes about work, and sometimes about the rest of our lives. It pretty much mimics the talk around the coffee machine in a normal office setting, which is something I miss, so this is a great solution for me.

Marjolein Snippe
Marjolein Snippe  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2012)
English to Dutch
+ ...
neighbours Jul 12, 2012

Or rather, anyone on the street and in the local corner shop. I usually pop out at some point for a bit of fresh air, a pint of milk and a chat with neighbours and shopkeepers. Even 5 or 10 minutes will help to get my concentration back.

christela (X)
christela (X)
Other Jul 12, 2012

I voted other: social website.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: If you work at home and are alone during the day, do you usually chat with someone?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »