Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Have you acquired a new working language pair since you began your career?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Jul 23, 2012

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Have you acquired a new working language pair since you began your career?".

View the poll results »

Ty Kendall
Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:55
Hebrew to English
No and I don't plan to Jul 23, 2012

Quite happy with my source language and the status quo.

I love languages I really do, but I don't know if I have the time, energy or motivation to learn another language now, despite the fact there's one or two languages I'd love to learn.

Any free time I have I'd rather spend on expanding the depth and breadth of my source language knowledge.

Diana Coada (X)
Diana Coada (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
I added a new language during my BA Jul 23, 2012

but at the moment it is not one of my working languages.

Will I add it at a later date? One never knows what tomorrow brings...

Allison Wright (X)
Allison Wright (X)  Identity Verified
Portugal
Yes, one Jul 23, 2012

Portuguese, almost four years ago, by way of an accident of destiny. Attempting to master this fascinating language will keep me busy for a long, long time.

Mike Sadler (X)
Mike Sadler (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
Sadly, I've lost one Jul 23, 2012

Russian.
No particular regrets over that. Things don't always go according to plan.

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Ditched one and added half a one Jul 23, 2012

Very early on I ditched German (just lost interest really) and added Danish (which is pretty much the same as Norwegian written down)

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 17:55
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
No and no plans to, unless... Jul 23, 2012

Ty Kendall wrote:
Any free time I have I'd rather spend on expanding the depth and breadth of my source language knowledge.

Yep, and learning more about technology since I translate mainly tech stuff. My one and only language pair J>E is already a handful and I have plans to delve even deeper by writing and publishing in Japanese.

However, if there was another language very similar to Japanese that I could learn overnight and that would pay double when translated, then I'd might give it a shot.

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Spanish? Probably not. Jul 23, 2012

I moved to Spain almost 3 months ago and am learning Spanish furiously. But I'm learning from scratch and as I'm already 56 I doubt I will ever reach the proficiency required for it to be a source language. All I'm aiming for is to be able to get by here without depending on everyone speaking some English or French.

Filipa Plant dos Santos
Filipa Plant dos Santos  Identity Verified
Portugal
Portuguese to English
I wish!!! Jul 23, 2012

I'd love to have French as a source language - but the O level French I learnt at school just won't do, and at age 50, with not a lot of free time (i.e. none), I can't see how to improve. The bits and pieces of free time that I do have I try and spend improving my source language, reading the newspaper basically and - my new tip for improving my Portuguese - reading Teen Fiction!!! It's fab and fast to read, and FULL of gripping plot details! Right up my street!!

I have an agency wh
... See more
I'd love to have French as a source language - but the O level French I learnt at school just won't do, and at age 50, with not a lot of free time (i.e. none), I can't see how to improve. The bits and pieces of free time that I do have I try and spend improving my source language, reading the newspaper basically and - my new tip for improving my Portuguese - reading Teen Fiction!!! It's fab and fast to read, and FULL of gripping plot details! Right up my street!!

I have an agency who always sends their initial email for a job in French, and how I long to be able to reply in French too. Sadly, it is but a dream.........
Collapse

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:55
Member (2006)
German to English
Bingo Jul 23, 2012

Ty Kendall wrote:

Quite happy with my source language and the status quo.

I love languages I really do, but I don't know if I have the time, energy or motivation to learn another language now, despite the fact there's one or two languages I'd love to learn.

And I must also admit that I have a workload of 120% and would only find it usful learning another language if you were to go to live in another country or had a lot to do with that culture

Ty Kendall
Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Hebrew to English
I do this too Jul 23, 2012

Filipa Plant dos Santos wrote:
my new tip for improving my Portuguese - reading Teen Fiction!!! It's fab and fast to read, and FULL of gripping plot details! Right up my street!!

I read some teen (young-adult) fiction in Hebrew occasionally. I find the language more creative and interesting than bog-standard adult themed literature....which sometimes tries too hard to be deep or clever (and fails miserably).

I also read books for very young children, the language is very low level naturally (simple sentences, vocalized text) but it's such a rich source of flowery and poetic language/vocabulary that you just can't find anywhere else in mass-market media (except in song lyrics perhaps).

WiebkeN (X)
WiebkeN (X)
Germany
French and Italian Jul 23, 2012

I had been working in the language pair English-German for five years before I decided to prepare for the French exam. I am quite happy to work in three language pairs and I am thinking about adding a fourth.

[Edited at 2012-07-23 18:25 GMT]

[Edited at 2012-07-23 18:25 GMT]

P.L.F. Persio
P.L.F. Persio  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2010)
English to Italian
+ ...
One added, Dutch Jul 23, 2012

Ty Kendall wrote:

Filipa Plant dos Santos wrote:
my new tip for improving my Portuguese - reading Teen Fiction!!! It's fab and fast to read, and FULL of gripping plot details! Right up my street!!

I read some teen (young-adult) fiction in Hebrew occasionally. I find the language more creative and interesting than bog-standard adult themed literature....which sometimes tries too hard to be deep or clever (and fails miserably).

I also read books for very young children, the language is very low level naturally (simple sentences, vocalized text) but it's such a rich source of flowery and poetic language/vocabulary that you just can't find anywhere else in mass-market media (except in song lyrics perhaps).

In 2003, I started learning Dutch, as we wanted to emigrate to the Netherlands. Two years later, we moved here and, in 2006, a very brave Dutch client started sending me Dutch texts for translation. It went pretty well: she's still my client and Dutch currently makes up more than 50% of my workload.

And for that, I have to thank - amongst others - Annie MG Schmidt, a wonderful author, and her Jip en Janneke books, and the translators who work on the subtitling for South Park.

Louise Souter (X)
Louise Souter (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
I would love to add Portuguese, but I will see what happens Jul 23, 2012

I only started learning it last October so I am a long way from even thinking about adding it as a source language but it might happen.

nweatherdon
nweatherdon
Canada
French to English
+ ...
working towards it Jul 23, 2012

I'm not sure that I specifically intend to translate from either of the other two languages I expect to learn, but if I plan to speak them well enough to generally communicate, and to do so effectively in my area of specialization, then I might just end up doing some translation as well.

In fact, that's the current dilemma ... which language to immerse myself in right now, Spanish or Chinese?

[Edited at 2012-07-23 16:05 GMT]

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Have you acquired a new working language pair since you began your career?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »