Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Have you ever worked in a translation team?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff

ProZ.com Staff
Local time: 22:04
SITE STAFF
Aug 12, 2012

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Have you ever worked in a translation team?".

View the poll results »

Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:04
Member (2000)
Russian to English
+ ...
Other- N/A Aug 12, 2012

because I have worked as part of a team both freelancing and in-house. Surely this option should have been included?

Natalia Pedrosa  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 07:04
Member (2012)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yeap Aug 12, 2012

If two translators can be regarded as a team.

neilmac  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other Aug 12, 2012

Occasionally I have had to put a small team together to be able to deliver larger "projects" (which I call "jobs") on time. Any more than one person is a team in my book. I currently collaborate with a colleague who proofs my translations for me if need be, so you could say I'm permanently in a teamwork situation.

However, working as part of a larger team for an agency has never appealed to me, as I 'm not very good at doing things I don't agree with, or being told what to do or how to go about it by people whose judgement or methods I may not respect.

Teresa Borges
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Yes Aug 12, 2012

both as in-house translator and as freelancer (in the latter case I have always been the team coordinator).

Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
German to English
Yes, as freelancer Aug 12, 2012

but will never do it again.

The PM´s did not seem to have had everything well coordinated and they accused me of doing rubbish translations although I had nothing to do with that part of the project. A lot of hassle for nothing, not for me, I am my own responsibility and cant be bothered with the stress of having to defend myself because of other peoples incompetences.

Elena Novski  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 01:04
Russian to English
+ ...
Yes, both Aug 12, 2012

in-house and as a free-lancer. In-house, I was responsible for the whole translation part of the project.

Paula Hernández
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
+ ...
Same here Aug 12, 2012

Elena Novski wrote:

in-house and as a free-lancer. In-house, I was responsible for the whole translation part of the project.

I was looking for this option in the answers...

Simon Bruni  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Spanish to English
Yes but Aug 12, 2012

I prefer the lone wolf approach.

It can be useful and formative to have work professionally proof-read/edited, but I don't consider a translator and a proof-reader a 'translation team' any more than an author and an editor are a 'writing team'.

Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Yes Aug 12, 2012

During my "military" days I was part of a translator team (then led iticon_smile.gif ). As a freelancer I am part of a team with various language pairs. This offers great proofreading opportunities.icon_smile.gif

Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Leave it to Beaver Aug 12, 2012

Jack Doughty wrote:

because I have worked as part of a team both freelancing and in-house. Surely this option should have been included?

Actually, leave it to the workings of an unimaginative mind. I second your opinion because it was exactly my first reaction.

I also worked in translation teams both as an independent translator and as an in-house translator.

Yawn.

English to Spanish
+ ...
What about...? Aug 12, 2012

Simon Bruni wrote:

I prefer the lone wolf approach.

It can be useful and formative to have work professionally proof-read/edited, but I don't consider a translator and a proof-reader a 'translation team' any more than an author and an editor are a 'writing team'.

...an "author" and a ghost writer? That seems to be the writing team du jour for writing-challenged celebrities in America.

Marlene Blanshay  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
yes Aug 12, 2012

I've done it a few times on large translation or editing projects. Mostly it's gone well, organized and everything was fine. except one time when I had to act as kind of a project manager. I realized I never want to do that! the agency/client was really disorganized and amateurish and the whole project was torment. I never worked with her again.

Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 14:04
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Once Aug 12, 2012

I worked once with another talented translator -- and great drinking mate -- on a big machine tool project, so we worked "in tandem" if you can call two a team.

Otherwise, in big projects like the one I'm doing right now (350,000 Kanji characters), I feel as I am on the wrong end of a chain gang. icon_eek.gif

English to Spanish
+ ...
Speaking of ghost writers... Aug 12, 2012

Has anyone seen the movie The Ghost Writer that came out in 2010? I enjoyed it.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Have you ever worked in a translation team?

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search