Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Have you ever felt tempted to purchase a product after translating content about it?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
Local time: 22:38
SITE STAFF
Sep 9, 2012

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Have you ever felt tempted to purchase a product after translating content about it?".

This poll was originally submitted by Milana Penavski. View the poll results »

Direct link Reply with quote

Mike Sadler  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:38
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Too big for my back yard Sep 9, 2012

I translated a compelling text about a proposed carbon free (or nearly) electricity generation system. I would have loved to buy one for my village, but the multi-million pound price tag and its space requirements meant it remained a dream.

Emin Arı  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 09:38
English to Turkish
+ ...
No but brand becomes more attractive to me Sep 9, 2012

If I translate for a well known brand, then I like it more than others and dislike competitors

Trinh Do  Identity Verified
Australia
Member (2007)
English to Vietnamese
+ ...
It was chocolate Sep 9, 2012

Yes, after translating a German document about chocolate, my mouth was salivating and I wanted to buy it. The good client sent me a German cookbook instead.

JaneD  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 07:38
Member (2009)
Swedish to English
+ ...
More modest desires Sep 9, 2012

Mike Sadler wrote:

I translated a compelling text about a proposed carbon free (or nearly) electricity generation system. I would have loved to buy one for my village, but the multi-million pound price tag and its space requirements meant it remained a dream.

That sounds wonderful. Perhaps we can all move into a single village and club together to buy it.

My "wants" tend to be household appliances. I occasionally translate marketing materials for a well-known French household appliance manufacturer, and I always find myself wanting whatever it is, which I suppose means that their marketing department are good at what they do!

Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
German to English
Yes, a couple of times Sep 9, 2012

and I did ... I bought nyself the new Sharan and do not regret it

Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
English to German
+ ...
Yes, always. Sep 9, 2012

It is part of my job as a marketing/advertising copywriter and translator to totally fall in love with the product and to be absolutely fascinated by this thing, no matter what it is. Since I am chiefly working in B-to-B, this can be highly interesting because my backyard is way to small to collect sample products of all those 12-tower printing presses, marine loading arms, dual-clutch transmissions and tower cranes. Also, my landlord does not approve of it.

Allison Wright  Identity Verified
Portugal
German to English
+ ...
No Sep 9, 2012

Although I normally like a wide variety of sausages, several promotional texts for a sausage manufacturer induced more nausea than anything else. It was difficult to think of mouth-watering descriptions for sausages in that state!

and YES:
One translation on housings for underwater cameras: I want to take photographs of marine life!

[Edited at 2012-09-09 09:29 GMT]

Susanna Martoni  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
No (but) Sep 9, 2012

Emin Arı wrote:

If I translate for a well known brand, then I like it more than others and dislike competitors

True! Same here.

neilmac  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other Sep 9, 2012

I don't remember, but it's quite possible. I'm as susceptible to advertising as anyone else.

DianeGM  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:38
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Yes ... a couple of time Sep 9, 2012

I have been tempted several times and I have actually purchased a kitchen knife and a rotating composter and I took my kids to a trip to an eco-farm and adventure playground after translating their wesite/marketing texts. I also purchased an insurance product after translating its policy documents.

[Edited at 2012-09-10 06:50 GMT]

Anna Sarah Krämer Fazendeiro
Germany
Member (2011)
English to German
+ ...
Wine Sep 9, 2012

I voted "No" because I probably suffered severe memory loss during the two occasions when I did some translations about Portuguese wines.

I never thought I could sink to the point of having to make an effort not to start drinking before lunch... o_O

Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
English to German
+ ...
Who needs lunch when there is: brunch Sep 9, 2012

Anna Sarah Krämer Fazendeiro wrote:

I never thought I could sink to the point of having to make an effort not to start drinking before lunch... o_O

AFAIK, you can start at 7 am.

Faustine Roux  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to French
yes Sep 9, 2012

After subtitling some films, I like to watch them at the cinema, in colours, and without the hundreds of watermark

And once, translating a video for a hairdressing company made me go to the hairdresser... But not the one I did the translation for. I didn't like the haircuts they were doing!

Marcus Malabad  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Nah Sep 9, 2012

I can't really afford heavy transport vehicles, mining equipment and nuclear reactor parts...

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Have you ever felt tempted to purchase a product after translating content about it?

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search