Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: In your CV, do you state which translation agencies/companies you work for?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Sep 23, 2012

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "In your CV, do you state which translation agencies/companies you work for?".

This poll was originally submitted by Francesca Battaglia. View the poll results »

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 08:31
Spanish to English
+ ...
No Sep 23, 2012

Because I don't wish to encourage or promote them, since I see them as an unnecessary evil and an inconvenience in general - with the odd exception. Without wishing to seem ungrateful, I'd much rather have clients approach me directly, which I believe would work out better for both parties.

[Edited at 2012-09-23 08:46 GMT]

Patricia Charnet
Patricia Charnet
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:31
Member (2009)
English to French
no Sep 23, 2012

just get recommendations if need be

Angus Stewart
Angus Stewart  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:31
Member (2011)
French to English
+ ...
No Sep 23, 2012

I would regard it as inappropriate to do so.

Firstly, there is the issue of client confidentiality. Whilst realizing that it would be possible to approach clients to obtain their consent for this purpose or for references, I prefer not to bother them unless absolutely necessary.

Secondly, it constitutes "name dropping" which I regard as a distasteful activity and I prefer to attract work from new clients on my own merits rather than through such methods. I have quite en
... See more
I would regard it as inappropriate to do so.

Firstly, there is the issue of client confidentiality. Whilst realizing that it would be possible to approach clients to obtain their consent for this purpose or for references, I prefer not to bother them unless absolutely necessary.

Secondly, it constitutes "name dropping" which I regard as a distasteful activity and I prefer to attract work from new clients on my own merits rather than through such methods. I have quite enough material on my CV as it is, without needing to "beef it up" in this fashion.

Besides, I'm not convinced that it would be all that effective as a marketing method, since a number of the agency clients with whom I have established a good working relationship are smaller/less well known agencies.
Collapse

John Cutler
John Cutler  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
No Sep 23, 2012

No I have a heading in my CV entitled "Various translation agencies" under which I list a few projects but not the name of any specific agency.

Theo Bernards (X)
Theo Bernards (X)  Identity Verified
France
English to Dutch
+ ...
I have no CV Sep 23, 2012

I have a 1 page presentation that I present to interested parties (basically a rehash of my website) and in that I make no reference to my clients, nor do I give samples of previously completed assignments. A CV is for employment purposes and I am not looking for a job, I look for assignments.

Alison Sabedoria (X)
Alison Sabedoria (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Wouldn't dream of it Sep 23, 2012

I do very little work for agencies and I'm not about to disclose the names of the few "good eggs" with whom I've been fortunate enough to do business. Of course, confidentiality is important, too.

Many excellent agencies don't even appear on the Proz radar: no profile, no Blue Board entries. They have no need to attract hoards of translators and there is no need to warn others off - I'm happy to keep it that way.

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
German to English
Nope Sep 23, 2012

If I worked for the company full time as PM, then no problem, but as freelancer, no way

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:31
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Other Sep 23, 2012

I do most of my work for direct clients and only a small amount for agencies. I do not mention any of them in my CV, which is only one page covering 41 years.

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:31
English to Spanish
+ ...
There is a big difference... Sep 23, 2012

...between translation agencies and companies one may have worked for as an employee (an in-house translator, project manager, etc.).

I mention none of the former and the most important of the latter. Doing otherwise would be highly inappropriate and amateurish.

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:31
English to Spanish
+ ...
The hoards... Sep 23, 2012

Wordeffect wrote:

I do very little work for agencies and I'm not about to disclose the names of the few "good eggs" with whom I've been fortunate enough to do business. Of course, confidentiality is important, too.

Many excellent agencies don't even appear on the Proz radar: no profile, no Blue Board entries. They have no need to attract hoards of translators and there is no need to warn others off - I'm happy to keep it that way.

I love this piece of advice. Allow me to be the curmudgeonly proofreader here: it's hordes, not hoards.~

You make an excellent point, Wordeffect: most reputable agencies don't bother with Proz. Serious translators shy away from translation companies that are always hunting for new resumes or that claim thousands of freelancers in their databases.

Conversely, many subpar agencies roam the streets of Prozland. I encountered one looking for an English-to-Quechua translator. I emailed them trying to be helpful by pointing out that Quechua is an Andean language and that they might have to find two translators, English to Spanish, and Spanish to Quechua. The poor, clueless project manager...

A sad picture.

Andrea Munhoz
Andrea Munhoz  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 03:31
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Yes Sep 23, 2012

Since I'm not disclosing confidential information, it suits me as a professional who works for the largest and most influent companies around.

Graeme Walle (X)
Graeme Walle (X)  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 09:31
Finnish to English
+ ...
Why? Sep 23, 2012

Mario Chavez wrote:

...between translation agencies and companies one may have worked for as an employee (an in-house translator, project manager, etc.).

I mention none of the former and the most important of the latter. Doing otherwise would be highly inappropriate and amateurish.

Why it is 'highly inappropriate and amateurish".

Further, why is simply listing the companies one has worked with a breach of confidentiality - as pointed out by some?

I have yet to see a successful firm that did not 'name drop' at least somewhere in their literature.

[Edited at 2012-09-23 22:02 GMT]

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:31
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
No Sep 23, 2012

Agencies are a small part of my business. I see no reason to mention them.

I do mention direct clients, mostly international organizations.

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:31
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
@Mario Sep 23, 2012

Mario Chavez wrote:

Allow me to be the curmudgeonly proofreader here: it's hordes, not hoards.~

You are right about hordes. But since when can an adverb ('curmudgeonly') modify a noun?

Actually, I don't think this poll should be about correcting our colleagues, but I couldn't resist.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: In your CV, do you state which translation agencies/companies you work for?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »