Poll: You are working and the phone rings. What do you do?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
Local time: 02:57
SITE STAFF
Sep 30, 2012

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "You are working and the phone rings. What do you do?".

This poll was originally submitted by Mary Worby. View the poll results »



Direct link Reply with quote
 

Samantha Payn  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:57
Member (2008)
Russian to English
+ ...
But if I'm eating my dinner .... Sep 30, 2012

I'll leave it to the answering machine!

Direct link Reply with quote
 

neilmac  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 11:57
Spanish to English
+ ...
Check who it is Sep 30, 2012

Sometimes if I'm busy I don't want to answer calls from certain... parties.

Direct link Reply with quote
 

Mary Worby  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:57
Member
German to English
+ ...
Another checker ... Sep 30, 2012

I don't stop working if it's a sales call!

Direct link Reply with quote
 

Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:57
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
It depends on who's calling Sep 30, 2012

I almost always let the answering machine take it, which was the answer I gave, but I do pick it up if it's important. I don't like to talk on the phone, and I hate Skype. I only use voice when I have no other alternative.

Most of all, I dislike Skype for business matters. If a client wants to communicate with me, I want everything in writing (e-mail) so there won't be any misunderstandings.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Angus Stewart  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:57
Member (2011)
French to English
+ ...
The phone tends to get answered Sep 30, 2012

As I don't live alone and we don't currently have caller recognition, the phone tends to get answered. Whilst accepting that use of the phone is appropriate when clients require to check my availability for urgent projects, it is far from being my preferred means of communication in most circumstances. If I am working on another project it often interrupts my train of thought.

Muriel Vasconcellos wrote:

I don't like to talk on the phone, and I hate Skype. I only use voice when I have no other alternative.

Most of all, I dislike Skype for business matters. If a client wants to communicate with me, I want everything in writing (e-mail) so there won't be any misunderstandings.


Muriel took the words straight out of my mouth. I wonder to what extent as translators we have an in-built predilection for written communication.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 19:57
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Written vs oral communication Sep 30, 2012

Angus Stewart wrote:
I wonder to what extent as translators we have an in-built predilection for written communication.


Written as opposed to oral communication will always help you out in the worst scenario .
In the event of a "I said, you said" scenario, the written word cannot lie and always prevails.

Unfortunately, I have found this to be very true in my business dealings. My advice - always leave a paper trail.

Happy International Translation Day!


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Gallagy
Ireland
Local time: 10:57
Member (2010)
French to English
+ ...
I answer right away! Sep 30, 2012

Wish I could ignore it but it seems I have an inbuilt reflex action to just answer! Maybe it's because I don't have a fixed line any more, just a mobile (cell) so I always have phone either beside me or in a pocket!

However, if I'm busy and someone just wants a chat, I'll tell them I'll call them back. I agree that we should always have a paper trail for work and I don't really like Skype either so have only given my number to one agency!

Happy International Translation Day to all!

[Edited at 2012-09-30 13:26 GMT]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

NataliaAnne  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 08:57
Portuguese to English
Exactly! Sep 30, 2012

Muriel Vasconcellos wrote:

I almost always let the answering machine take it, which was the answer I gave, but I do pick it up if it's important. I don't like to talk on the phone, and I hate Skype. I only use voice when I have no other alternative.

Most of all, I dislike Skype for business matters. If a client wants to communicate with me, I want everything in writing (e-mail) so there won't be any misunderstandings.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Teresa Borges
Portugal
Local time: 10:57
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I answer it! Sep 30, 2012

My customers always contact me by e-mail. In fact, I can’t remember the last time I received a phone call from a customer. In general, if the phone rings it’s either one of my children, my friends or… a sales call! Anyway, I tend to answer right away.
Happy International Translation Day!

Teresa

PS Me too, I hate Skype !


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Mario Chavez  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:57
English to Spanish
+ ...
Answering machine? Sep 30, 2012

This is the XXI century! Who's still using an answering machine?

I tend to pick up the phone if it rings right away, but since I have my landline (Vonage service) set to ring simultaneously with my cellphone, I wait a couple of seconds until my cellphone rings, then check for caller ID and answer accordingly. Sometimes it's my baby sister, sometimes a client of mine (I don't like to send an established customer down to voicemail).

As much as I like to keep a paper trail of my business dealings, I also want to offer a personable connection...hence, I answer the calls. Last week, someone's phone number I didn't recognize (from New York City) called my phone. I let it go to my voicemail, then I listened to the message. It was a recent client and I called her immediately after reading her follow-up email.

I pride myself in answering business emails and calls within one hour or less of arrival. That has paid off.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 11:57
Member (2006)
German to English
Check ID and answer if important Sep 30, 2012

Mario Chavez wrote:

This is the XXI century! Who's still using an answering machine?

I tend to pick up the phone if it rings right away, but since I have my landline (Vonage service) set to ring simultaneously with my cellphone, I wait a couple of seconds until my cellphone rings, then check for caller ID and answer accordingly. Sometimes it's my baby sister, sometimes a client of mine (I don't like to send an established customer down to voicemail).

As much as I like to keep a paper trail of my business dealings, I also want to offer a personable connection...hence, I answer the calls. Last week, someone's phone number I didn't recognize (from New York City) called my phone. I let it go to my voicemail, then I listened to the message. It was a recent client and I called her immediately after reading her follow-up email.

I pride myself in answering business emails and calls within one hour or less of arrival. That has paid off.


That was a good one Mario!!

But so true.

I have no answering machine, I am either available or not.

The same applies for relatives, etc.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Claire Cox
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:57
French to English
+ ...
If I'm busy, I check the number first BUT.. Sep 30, 2012

..a number of my direct clients don't display their number, so even if it says Withheld, I will often answer just in case it is a direct client with an urgent job. Funnily enough, direct clients are also much more likely to want to speak to me before sending an e-mail and if there's no answer they'll go elsewhere - even though they have my mobile No. and I can now access e-mails on my mobile. Old habits obviously die hard....

However, it is useful to let the answering machine take the strain if I know it's someone (naming no names!) who's likely to talk at length and I can then call back at my leisure.

I like Skype, I must admit, especially the instant messaging facility, but I only have a couple of carefully chosen clients who use it. I certainly wouldn't want everyone to contact me that way as it too can be distracting. You can set your status to away or offline though, if you don't want to be disturbed.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 11:57
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
I answer it Sep 30, 2012

I answer it. My relations are good at not ringing while I am working unless it is important, and if it is a client, then the phone call is usually about an urgent job.

Salespeople get short shrift...


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:57
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
@Mario Oct 1, 2012

I keep my answering machine precisely because it screens callers. I rarely talk on the phone, and I actively try to avoid it. That was my whole point. I don't have kids or a spouse, so I'm not at anyone's beck and call. My time is too precious. Apparently some colleagues agree with me.

Direct link Reply with quote
 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: You are working and the phone rings. What do you do?

Advanced search






BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search