Poll: How do you feel when you start working each day?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
Local time: 03:41
SITE STAFF
Oct 6, 2012

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "How do you feel when you start working each day?".

View the poll results »

Direct link Reply with quote

Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 20:41
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Grimm Oct 6, 2012

Like a fairy tale

I have low blood pressure, which makes mornings a nightmare. Once I have dragged myself out of bed, a good mugga tea helps smooth the rails and I eventually get into first gear about an hour later. In the hour in between, I am not the liveliest of creatures and I recommend not confronting me in the hallway or any confined space between there and the office.

With the high turnout so far today, it seems that Proz pollsters are still in bed.

svenfrade  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:41
French to German
+ ...
Nope Oct 6, 2012

They're beavering away, Julian. Well, I am, anyway.

I usually get up at 5 or 5.30 in the morning and all I need is a nice mug of coffee and I'm raring to go.

I don't do this every weekend, of course, but since I have so much work coming in at the moment and I hate having to decline requests from my best clients, I do make exceptions now and then.

So basically I feel just fine when I start working in the morning.

Mario Chavez  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:41
English to Spanish
+ ...
Feelings...oh, oh, oh... Oct 6, 2012

Now, sing it with feeling this time!

Did someone forget to tell Sigmund Freud he's dead? Why are we in the couch responding to questions about “how do you feel”?

We are human beings. We will feel differently regardless of personality and, yes, blood pressure. Every day is unique and unrepeatable (as a radio host used to say).

Some days I wake up at 11 a.m. and feel sluggish for the rest of the day, no matter how many restful hours of sleep I've had. Other days, like this morning (a Saturday morning nonetheless!) I woke up at 7 a.m., mind energized and ready to roll, with just 5 hours of sleep. Restful sleep.

To show you how energized I felt, I got up, grabbed my glasses and sat on my trusty Theraball (that's a medicine ball) in front of my computer and started to type an essay on reading and translation. I wanted to put my fresh ideas to paper before I forgot them. I paused after 700.

Now I'm watching a bit of TV after having had a cup of joe, a yogurt and a bratwurst link. It's a big day, even though it's just Saturday.

Teresa Borges
Portugal
Local time: 11:41
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Of course, my emotions vary... Oct 6, 2012

... but in general I am ready to start another day of work (probably "excited" is too much of a word).

Teresa

PS Julian: No, this Proz pollster was not asleep, just busy!

Nice weekend for you all!

Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
German to English
Generally always Oct 6, 2012

motivated, but at the moment, I am privileged and fortunate to have been chosen to share a terrible cold / flu with my children which has not been motivating over the past few days, but otherwise and even more for work

[Edited at 2012-10-06 21:09 GMT]

Tina Vonhof  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 04:41
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Always looking forward to it Oct 6, 2012

I wouldn't say I'm excited to learn something new, but I always like getting to work and getting something accomplished. A completed job that I've done my best on gives me great satisfaction at the end of the day. And yes, often you learn something - that's just icing on the cake.

Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 05:41
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Happy Oct 6, 2012

Happy to work at home doing what I like the most: magic conversions from a language into another.

[Modifié le 2012-10-06 15:38 GMT]

Erzsébet Czopyk  Identity Verified
Hungary
Member (2006)
Russian to Hungarian
+ ...
low blood pressure Oct 6, 2012

Tina Vonhof wrote:

I wouldn't say I'm excited to learn something new, but I always like getting to work and getting something accomplished. A completed job that I've done my best on gives me great satisfaction at the end of the day. And yes, often you learn something - that's just icing on the cake.

as a member of the night owls with low blood pressure club, usually I work at leate evening or night. So my mornings are simply terrible and the quality of the translations in the first part of the day is strogly depending on the quality of my coffee

Motivated? Nothing is more motivating as the deadline itself.
This weekend I have so much documents to translate that I opened the ironing board to serve as additional table for them Finished yesterday (pardon, today at 03:25 a.m., had a sleep until 10, since then I translate, cook and wash/hang the clothes of my children, then return to the desk an all these again, having in my mind the final payment of my Swiss Franc mortgage (the exchange raised up incredibly) at the end this month...finally!!! So I am happy to be close being set free!

Vincenzo Di Maso  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2009)
English to Italian
+ ...
low blood pressure Oct 6, 2012

Erzsébet Czopyk wrote:

Tina Vonhof wrote:

as a member of the night owls with low blood pressure club, usually I work at leate evening or night. So my mornings are simply terrible and the quality of the translations in the first part of the day is strogly depending on the quality of my coffee

Motivated? Nothing is more motivating as the deadline itself.
This weekend I have so much documents to translate that I opened the ironing board to serve as additional table for them Finished yesterday (pardon, today at 03:25 a.m., had a sleep until 10, since then I translate, cook and wash/hang the clothes of my children, then return to the desk an all these again, having in my mind the final payment of my Swiss Franc mortgage (the exchange raised up incredibly) at the end this month...finally!!! So I am happy to be close being set free!

Here it's the same. I need time to keep focus. Afternoon is much better. I'm a diesel engine

Marlene Blanshay  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 06:41
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
low blood pressure Oct 7, 2012

is there some link between low blood pressure and being nocturnal?

I'm always happy when there's work, regardless of what time i get up- like most freelancers. Having something to work on motivates me and that is always good for my mood. However, I am NOT a morning person...i often work at night, although not too late. I've always been nocturnal and don't have kids, and I can't handle people who are all cheery at 6 am!

Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Is there a general 365.25 days' answer? Oct 7, 2012

Aside from always feeling good about being able to work - yes, even in regard to huge projects that seem to drag on forever and, naturally, have the shortest turnaround time -, my answer was that the mood varies.

Being human means being in a different mood or condition from time to time. This, in turn, means that some days I'm eager and ready to work, some days I have to drag myself to the computer.

As they say, some days are diamonds, some days are stones.

Samantha Payn  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Russian to English
+ ...
Just like Teresa ... Oct 7, 2012

Teresa Borges wrote:

... in general I am ready to start another day of work (probably "excited" is too much of a word).

Teresa

Interested to see what the day brings.

Sarai Pahla (MD) MBChB
Germany
Member (2012)
Japanese to English
+ ...
Super excited Oct 7, 2012

I'm totally a morning person - even after only a few hours of sleep, I'm eager to get stuck into the next days work. In fact, I sometimes even start working straight after I do Yoga (which I do as soon as I get out of bed). I absolutely love this job - I couldn't ask for better lifestyle. On the other hand, I should probably take more days off!!

To the people with low blood pressure, however, you can usually manage that with diet and an adequate intake of water - it must be hellish to wake up and feel like you take time to get going. I feel for you.

Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:41
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Excited Oct 8, 2012

I don't start very early - I, too, am a low blood pressure night owl - but when I do sit down to work, I'm almost always excited to start digging in again. I enjoy translating so much that I neglect a lot of other important things.

I remember when my accountant stared at my in disbelief when I told him I was excited to be starting an 800-page book translation. For me part, it was it was hard to believe that he could enjoy crunching numbers.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How do you feel when you start working each day?

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search