Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: The computer you are working on right now fails suddenly. Do you have a backup system in place?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Oct 26, 2012

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "The computer you are working on right now fails suddenly. Do you have a backup system in place?".

View the poll results »

Mary Worby
Mary Worby  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:34
German to English
+ ...
Yes Oct 26, 2012

I have my old laptop up the loft, fully configured and ready to go for just such a scenario. Failing that, there are so many computers in the house I'm sure we (by which I mean my handy live-in computer consultant) could sort something out within a couple of hours.

Diana Coada (X)
Diana Coada (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Exactly the same situation! Oct 26, 2012

Mary Worby wrote:

I have my old laptop up the loft, fully configured and ready to go for just such a scenario. Failing that, there are so many computers in the house I'm sure we (by which I mean my handy live-in computer consultant) could sort something out within a couple of hours.

I have my netbook and another 3 computers in the house. Plus two tablets. All courtesy of my significant other. Got to love a geek!

Cristina Lo Bianco
Cristina Lo Bianco  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 14:34
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
Yes, but what about Trados Studio activation? Oct 26, 2012

I have more or less everything on my laptop, I just need to remember to sincronize the two machines every now and then.

The only problem, it just came to my mind, is that in case my desktop computer failed suddenly and completely, I wouldn't be able to deactivate my copy of Trados Studio in it in order to be able to activate it on my laptop.

Has anyone faced this kind of situation? Do you know if people at SDL is supportive in this kind of situation and find a way to
... See more
I have more or less everything on my laptop, I just need to remember to sincronize the two machines every now and then.

The only problem, it just came to my mind, is that in case my desktop computer failed suddenly and completely, I wouldn't be able to deactivate my copy of Trados Studio in it in order to be able to activate it on my laptop.

Has anyone faced this kind of situation? Do you know if people at SDL is supportive in this kind of situation and find a way to deactivate Trados Studio from their side?

Have a nice day,
Cristina
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Yes Oct 26, 2012

Like Mary, I have my old laptop hidden away somewhere and waiting for that scenario (unfortunately no live-in computer consultant!)...

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 21:34
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Yes Oct 26, 2012

I have a RAID 1 setup which comprises an exact copy (or mirror) of my working data on two disks each with their own separate OS. If one disk fails, the other (or redundant) healthy system is automatically switched to and the failed disk is repaired or "nursed back to health" in the background. Everything is seamless so I don't notice a thing. It was a pricey but worthwhile investment.

I have experienced a computer failing on me in the past. Fortunately this happened right after<
... See more
I have a RAID 1 setup which comprises an exact copy (or mirror) of my working data on two disks each with their own separate OS. If one disk fails, the other (or redundant) healthy system is automatically switched to and the failed disk is repaired or "nursed back to health" in the background. Everything is seamless so I don't notice a thing. It was a pricey but worthwhile investment.

I have experienced a computer failing on me in the past. Fortunately this happened right after delivery of a very large and complicated project that I'd spent six weeks working on. Just the thought of this having happened before the delivery is still very frightening and brings out goosebumps. Just the thing for the Halloween season.

I really do recommend this or a similar kind of setup. And I have another PC which I use for research setting next to this one, too. So, I'm more or less prepared unless a huse solar flare hits the planet and we're all sent back to the Mediaeval Ages. One way to eradicate all those dotcoms and all that artificial wealth, I suppose.

HTH
Collapse

Claire Cox
Claire Cox
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Yes (apart from Trados) Oct 26, 2012

Yes, I tend to have my laptop sitting on the kitchen table and my desktop upstairs in my office, so both ready to go at any time - legacy from this time last year when we got a new puppy and it was easier to work in the kitchen! He's now to be trusted upstairs but I've got quite used to having the laptop here so it's stayed, although I tend to use it to check e-mail when I'm doing other things! I use Dropbox so I can access files from either computer and they're always up to date. My Netbook is ... See more
Yes, I tend to have my laptop sitting on the kitchen table and my desktop upstairs in my office, so both ready to go at any time - legacy from this time last year when we got a new puppy and it was easier to work in the kitchen! He's now to be trusted upstairs but I've got quite used to having the laptop here so it's stayed, although I tend to use it to check e-mail when I'm doing other things! I use Dropbox so I can access files from either computer and they're always up to date. My Netbook is also around for a real belt and braces approach, likewise linked to Dropbox and there's always my Blackberry for checking e-mail/Internet.

I only use Trados for a couple of clients and only have that on the upstairs computer (not sure the laptop is powerful enough or has enough memory!) to hold it, but in theory if I was working on a Trados job, that might be an issue until I got the desktop up and running again. The desktop backs up to Mozy every day so all my TMs and files would be available; I'd just not be able to access Trados on another computer immediately. I think my licence came with the ability to use it on two computers, have just never got round to setting it up. I'm also aware that I replaced my desktop a year or so ago and have a feeling that the system might think I've already used my second computer allocation when in fact I was just replacing my main computer - one of these days I'll get round to sorting it out! I must admit I'd still rather use Wordfast if given the choice.....
Collapse

Mike Sadler (X)
Mike Sadler (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes Oct 26, 2012

I lashed out and bought the Trados licence that lets you put it on two computers and I copy TM's and Multiterm across once a week so I'm more or less up to date. It's a Sunday morning job, just after winding the clock.
I keep all my important files in Dropbox (including a folder for "translations in hand") and I use IMAP email, rather than POP, so emails stay on the server rather than on a local computer, and I can access them from any machine.
I used to have a RAID 1, until I read t
... See more
I lashed out and bought the Trados licence that lets you put it on two computers and I copy TM's and Multiterm across once a week so I'm more or less up to date. It's a Sunday morning job, just after winding the clock.
I keep all my important files in Dropbox (including a folder for "translations in hand") and I use IMAP email, rather than POP, so emails stay on the server rather than on a local computer, and I can access them from any machine.
I used to have a RAID 1, until I read that as both drives are having the same amount of use, that increases the possibility of them both failing at much the same time, so when I then changed system I ditched RAID 1 and went on to having two separate systems and the cloud.
The most likely problem scenario for me, living in the sticks, is power failure, so I have a pretty beefy uninterruptible power supply to prepare for that. It gets plenty of use.
Collapse

Rolf Kern
Rolf Kern  Identity Verified
Switzerland
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Other Oct 26, 2012

My computer does not right now fail suddenly. Has the "if" beeing forgotten in this question? For this case I have a copy of everything on an external harddisk, but no second computer

[Bearbeitet am 2012-10-26 11:01 GMT]

[Bearbeitet am 2012-10-26 11:03 GMT]

[Bearbeitet am 2012-10-26 11:04 GMT]

Samantha Payn
Samantha Payn  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Russian to English
+ ...
Like Julian Oct 26, 2012

I had a major meltdown just after completion of a project. I use Wordfast and my system now is to have all files that I am working on, plus all glossaries and TMs in Dropbox. Once a translation is completed and delivered I archive it on my PC. I do regular, but probably not frequent enough, data back-ups onto an external hard drive.
And I have Wordfast configured on my netbook.

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
German to English
Other Oct 26, 2012

I have my main computer (Desktop thing) and 4 laptops, all with registered software ready to rear if anything goes wrong.
Backup onto an external HD once a week, just in case. And when I am on a running project, then the TM is saved on a stick before shutting down each day.
Have had some bad experiences in the past.

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Yes, and how to reset a Trados license Oct 26, 2012

I use Carbonite to back up my files and have a second machine with everything installed, just in case.

Cristina Lo Bianco wrote:

I wouldn't be able to deactivate my copy of Trados Studio in it in order to be able to activate it on my laptop.

Has anyone faced this kind of situation? Do you know if people at SDL is supportive in this kind of situation and find a way to deactivate Trados Studio from their side?

As Mike says, the Plus version gives you two license activations. Some other versions also give you an Extra Activation, specifically for this kind of situation. Check whether you have a spare one in My Account (on the SDL website). If you've just got one, reset it by going to http://kb.sdl.com/

- Solution finder
- Licensing problems
- I have lost one of my license activations and would like to have it reset
- I have SDL Trados Studio 2011 [if this is the case].
- Complete the web form that appears and SDL will get in touch with you using your registered email, usually within 1 working day (SDL states 3 days just in case).

Marlene Blanshay
Marlene Blanshay  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 08:34
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
not as such Oct 26, 2012

I have a hard drive backup, but no second computer. I just had a big failure a few weeks ago and managed to get a project completed. I rented a laptop for a few days. I do have an old laptop but really can't do much with it. I'm thinking of getting an extra one. I had a desktop but don't anymore. I used to live with a computer savvy guy, sometimes I miss that!

Noni Gilbert Riley
Noni Gilbert Riley
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
ish Oct 26, 2012

My completely honest answer.

Gennady Lapardin
Gennady Lapardin  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 15:34
Italian to Russian
+ ...
yes Oct 26, 2012

My mobile phone, to discuss with the client the situation.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: The computer you are working on right now fails suddenly. Do you have a backup system in place?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »