Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Do you think your working hours have affected your health?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 05:54
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
I decide for myself how it affects me... Nov 18, 2012

I have learnt that there is freedom in freelancing that many employees don't enjoy.

It does call for discipline, and the ways it has affected my health have varied in the ten years since I started freelancing.

I work far more irregular hours than I used to when I was in house and tied to core office time. We did have a certain amount of flexi-time, but especially in the first years this was very limited by having to use public transport. I had to spend two and a half ho
... See more
I have learnt that there is freedom in freelancing that many employees don't enjoy.

It does call for discipline, and the ways it has affected my health have varied in the ten years since I started freelancing.

I work far more irregular hours than I used to when I was in house and tied to core office time. We did have a certain amount of flexi-time, but especially in the first years this was very limited by having to use public transport. I had to spend two and a half hours confined in a bus in addition to eight hours at the computer. Buses were not frequent, so I started early in the mornings, and if I took breaks I came home very late. That is just life for many commuters.

Now I decide to a large extent myself when I take breaks.
I can go for walks in daylight, in the middle of the day in winter, and avoid the miserable feeling of light deficiency in the spring.
Fresh air when I need it, even if it is just for a few minutes, clears my head and relaxes muscles - I feel better, translate better and avoid headaches.
And I am not exposed to other people's perfumes or other migraine triggers, although strictly that is nothing to do with working hours.

I'm not a paragon of virtue - I'm not as fit as I should be... but it would be a lot worse if I did not enjoy the freedom of choosing my own working hours.
Collapse

Mark Thompson
Mark Thompson  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 00:54
Portuguese to English
My "elf" Nov 19, 2012

I always looked after my 'elf..!

But as many people say here, I am a shining example of one who lets his work take him over and forgets to look after himself when he has so much to do....

Having said that, I do think that the work itself is good for my mental health - the brain requires as much attention as the body, and as long as we keep it in perspective, this game could actually be good for us!!!

Don't be going mad there!!!

Mark

Marlene Blanshay
Marlene Blanshay  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 23:54
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
yes but in positive ways... Nov 19, 2012

not having to commute in the winter and the stress thereof. I have no trouble working out, unless I'm really overloaded. I can get to the gym or bike ride and work in the evenings.Sometimes, i'll work late. But not working in an office with people who are always catching colds in the winter has been a big plus!

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:54
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
It depends on priorities Nov 19, 2012

When I had other priorities in my life, I worked less, and that's when I was healthier. I also made less money. For the law few years I have been putting in 8-hour days on a constant basis, and that much time sitting in front of the computer has taken its toll. My schedule is full because (1) I like the money, and (2) I have trouble saying "no" to my regular clients. It seems that the more I work, the more the work comes to me.

Daina Jauntirans
Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:54
German to English
+ ...
Repetitive strain Nov 19, 2012

in my wrists has been my problem. Also lack of sleep, which I think affects us in all sorts of ways. But I think that will get better and better as my kids get older and more independent. It's already much better than when they were babies/toddlers/preschoolers.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you think your working hours have affected your health?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »