Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Do you think your working hours have affected your health?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
Local time: 09:17
SITE STAFF
Nov 18, 2012

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you think your working hours have affected your health?".

This poll was originally submitted by Gianluca Marras. View the poll results »

Direct link Reply with quote

neilmac  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 18:17
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes Nov 18, 2012

For the better. Through choice, I now often work at weekends and spend less of my time "going out", which in ex-pat communities all too often involves alcohol, with the concomitant wear and tear on your vital organs.

Work stops me getting bored too, perhaps it's to do with having a feeling of purpose...

Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:17
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Definitely Nov 18, 2012

I don't have time for the exercise routines that I used to follow, and it's showing up in my health in several ways--I will spare the details.

Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 01:17
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Defintely Nov 18, 2012

Not exactly "working hours" per se. I have spent the past 30 years working seated in front of a computer, sometimes for long stretches into the middle of the night. Oh, and don't forget big doses of stress as well. For a "white-collar worker" I can't think of anything worse to mess up your health.

How could I possibly answer in the negative?

Filipa Plant dos Santos  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 17:17
Member (2011)
Portuguese to English
I think so. Nov 18, 2012

The problem here is that the work comes in bursts, meaning late nights and very early mornings, and also meaning that there is no real routine. Like many translators (I suspect!) one of the reasons for working as a freelancer is that I can look after my family at the same time, but the need to earn money is also important!

I suppose the real problem is a lack of routine, which means that "regular" exercise flies out the window, leaving it up to our willpower to fit in exercise where we can, which is what I find difficult.

Alexandranow  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 19:17
Romanian to English
+ ...
not yet Nov 18, 2012

ProZ.com Staff wrote:

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you think your working hours have affected your health?".

This poll was originally submitted by Gianluca Marras. View the poll results »

Not for now, because I do not have work enough, so even if I work hard for a period, after that I have long empty spaces...I think is not ok, would be better if I work a certain amount of hours without long brakes. For the projects I got, the dead line was very different. So, some times I had really easy job, sometimes very hard, at time well payed, but not always. Sometimes I worked 7 days of 7 from 5 a.m.till 6 p.m. and the pay very poor. And besides I studied master courses full time...of course I went to all the classes...that was my choice, of course not the fault of some client... I confess some period I had so much work that I barely went to shop in hurry only next to my home, and months did not see the center of the city or other places. At a long term, going on this way, one might be very flexible and skilled to live under pressure, but might be not a healthy life... I tried to eat fresh fruits as much as possible, took walks to stretch, but had back pains from sitting at PC hours. But the truth is after a while seemed easier, because I got used to the rhythm and knew more things. After a long time of hard working, and all of a sudden no job, seemed that I was missing that hard work...

Teresa Borges
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Not sure! Nov 18, 2012

I do not know what would be worse for my health: occasionally working long hours or always working routine hours? What is worse than worse is not having work at all and having to cope with the stress that brings about...

Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Definately Nov 18, 2012

These long working hours, somtimes up to 14 hours a day for days, the time pressure to meet some of the very tight deadlines, and sometimes the trouble of sending reminders to those, very few!, slow payers, has definately taken its toll on my health. Still, I try to do my exercises, e.g. while proofreading or looking up references.

But... despite it all, I love what I'm doing and wouldn't trade it for any other job.

Mike Sadler  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Absolutely, for the better Nov 18, 2012

It's not the hours for me that matter - I sometimes work long hours to meet deadlines, etc., but the control I have over those hours. I can choose to take a job that will mean working for many hours or I can choose not to. That way, I am able to maintain a work/life balance with time for the things that matter to me, including exercise. My physical and mental health have improved immeasurably since I went full time freelance.

Hope Farmer
Spain
German to English
+ ...
For the better Nov 18, 2012

I feel better physically.

I can stop and take a nap if I don't feel well. I can drink tea, eat when I'm hungry, go for walks, etc.

I think not being around other people has improved my health too. I am one of those people that just has to pass within 100 meters of someone with a cold and I get sick.

I don't mind late hours. I've always had my peak in the afternoon and another late in the evening. Being able to take breaks during the day actually means that I am also more alert in the morning. The schedule is one of my favorite parts about this profession.

Mentally it is sometimes hard to deal with the isolation, but overall I feel healthier than I have in a long time.

Helen Hagon  Identity Verified
Member (2011)
Russian to English
+ ...
Definitely for the better Nov 18, 2012

After years of working in various institutions my working life is much more flexible now. I can eat when I like, wear comfortable clothes and go out and stretch my legs when I feel the onset of cabin fever. Of course, translating can be stressful at times, but I no longer have the added stresses of what to do with sick children, office politics, commuting through rush hour traffic and so on.

Susanna Martoni  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
Yes Nov 18, 2012

My backache!
Getting worser and worser.

Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
French to English
Made me smile Nov 18, 2012

Muriel Vasconcellos wrote:

I don't have time for the exercise routines that I used to follow, and it's showing up in my health in several ways--I will spare the details.

I guess if I were honest, I would admit to sitting on mine ; -)

As translating is a static activity from a physical point of view (quite the opposite from a cerebral point of view), it is essential to make time for a physical counterpart. Until 2 years ago, I lived on the Breton coast, with a view over the sea. Scuba diving two or three times a week from February to November did both body and brain the world of good. I really miss that now I am inland in the Loire valley.

[Edited at 2012-11-18 12:26 GMT]

Allison Wright  Identity Verified
Portugal
German to English
+ ...
What a strange question! Nov 18, 2012

Some days I do so much work, the deep sleep which follows induces true oblivion. That has got to be good for the health, right?

Whatever we do has either a positive or negative effect on our health. Logically, therefore, the simple answer to this question would be yes.

Giuseppina Gatta, MA (Hons)
Member (2005)
English to Italian
+ ...
Working... Nov 18, 2012

...always has a bad effect on your health...period!

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you think your working hours have affected your health?

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search