Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
Poll: Which Instant Messaging Tool do you use most?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Jan 10, 2013

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Which Instant Messaging Tool do you use most?".

This poll was originally submitted by Ali Bayraktar. View the poll results »

Nigel Greenwood (X)
Nigel Greenwood (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 20:48
Spanish to English
+ ...
What about... Jan 10, 2013

Whatsapp?

[Edited at 2013-01-10 08:14 GMT]

Gabriel Mendoza
Gabriel Mendoza  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 03:48
Japanese to English
imo Instant Messenger Jan 10, 2013

I use imo Instant Messaging. It's a web-based messaging platform that integrates most messaging tools such as Skype, GoogleTalk, and Yahoo Messenger in a browser page, so I mostly don't need to install or run the clients anymore. Nifty!

Allison Wright (X)
Allison Wright (X)  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 19:48
Skype Jan 10, 2013

The number of people I communicate with that way is quite limited, by choice. "Proper" business communication (transmission of documents, acceptance of assignments, etc.) still occurs via e-mail.

Mary Worby
Mary Worby  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
Of the options listed, I voted Skype Jan 10, 2013

I use Skype as an instant messaging tool more often than any other, inasmuch as I use Skype once in a blue moon and none of the others ever.

For personal messages I use Facebook messenger.

DianeGM
DianeGM  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:48
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Skype Jan 10, 2013

Skype but only with a few clients
Otherwise Facebook and Google for personal messages.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Skype Jan 10, 2013

But not very much, only with friends/colleagues really.
On the few occasions I look at FB, if someone pops up at the same time I might have a brief chat with them, but in general I find instant chat programs, especially the ones aimed at the (ahem) younger markets, intrusive and more of a nuisance than anything else, with all the spam, unsolicited requests from would-be "friends" or partners and malware that usually slither along in their wake...

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Me too Jan 10, 2013

Allison Wright wrote:

The number of people I communicate with that way is quite limited, by choice. "Proper" business communication (transmission of documents, acceptance of assignments, etc.) still occurs via e-mail.

Otherwise I'd probably end up wasting good keyboard time on idle banter rather than actually working....

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 03:48
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Another "Me too" Jan 10, 2013

Allison Wright wrote:

Yes, always leave a proper paper trail. This has served me well in the past. Chit-chatting about the weather is fine over the phone, however, a proper record should be left for all business transactions.

neilmac wrote:

Otherwise I'd probably end up wasting good keyboard time on idle banter rather than actually working....

'spose the same applies to quick polls, too.

Nikki Graham
Nikki Graham  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
Skype Jan 10, 2013

Given that most of my clients are not in the UK, Skype is a cheap quick and easy way to communicate. And if my or my client's email server is down for whatever reason, or the file is large, Skype is also useful for delivering jobs (although I also use Dropbox as a backup means of sending large documents now). I don't spend much time chatting with clients on Skype, so don't feel it is a waste of time in any way, and I have no qualms about telling friends that I have a deadline and cannot chat to ... See more
Given that most of my clients are not in the UK, Skype is a cheap quick and easy way to communicate. And if my or my client's email server is down for whatever reason, or the file is large, Skype is also useful for delivering jobs (although I also use Dropbox as a backup means of sending large documents now). I don't spend much time chatting with clients on Skype, so don't feel it is a waste of time in any way, and I have no qualms about telling friends that I have a deadline and cannot chat to them right now...

By the way, isn't MSN being phased out and users transferred over to Skype?
Collapse

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
None Jan 10, 2013

Julian Holmes wrote:
always leave a proper paper trail. This has served me well in the past. Chit-chatting about the weather is fine over the phone, however, a proper record should be left for all business transactions.

That's very much the way I feel. I wish you could annotate email messages to say that the recipient replied by phone and said XYZ.

I had MSN for a while, but it annoyed me so much I switched it off, and I've never used anything since. I do have a Skype account, so I suppose I could use it for instant messaging, but I don't, except occasionally when I want to contact someone but prefer to know first if it's a convenient time.

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Skype Jan 10, 2013

Allison Wright wrote:

Same here. The only time I use Skype is for quick clarification of, e. g. terminology. However, everything that is of importance to/for the business itself will be via email for proper documentation.

Nikki Graham
Nikki Graham  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
Don't you trust your clients? Jan 10, 2013

Thayenga wrote:

Allison Wright wrote:

Same here. The only time I use Skype is for quick clarification of, e. g. terminology. However, everything that is of importance to/for the business itself will be via email for proper documentation.

Sounds as if a lot of people here don't trust their clients if they need to have an email trail of everything all the time. Obviously, I wouldn't agree to an assignment on Skype with someone I had never worked with before without a PO or email conformation, but I am happy to agree to jobs using Skype with my regular clients.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
None! Jan 10, 2013

I have a Skype account but I only ever use it once in a blue moon...

Robert Forstag
Robert Forstag  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:48
Spanish to English
+ ...
With Julian, Allison, and Neilmac Jan 10, 2013

I very rarely use chats to communicate with clients, although there are some PM's who insist on having my Skype address. This results in the mild irritation of the small pop-ups in the lower right-hand corner of the computer screen notifying me that a PM who who sends me a job once in a blue moon, whom I have no interest in chatting with, and who has no interest in chatting with me, is online.

Come to think of it, I think I'll delete these contacts so that I no longer have those dis
... See more
I very rarely use chats to communicate with clients, although there are some PM's who insist on having my Skype address. This results in the mild irritation of the small pop-ups in the lower right-hand corner of the computer screen notifying me that a PM who who sends me a job once in a blue moon, whom I have no interest in chatting with, and who has no interest in chatting with me, is online.

Come to think of it, I think I'll delete these contacts so that I no longer have those distractions.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Which Instant Messaging Tool do you use most?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »