Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Does the weather affect your productivity?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff

ProZ.com Staff
Local time: 11:10
SITE STAFF
Mar 1, 2013

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Does the weather affect your productivity?".

View the poll results »

Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:10
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Cold, overcast, and rainy days . . . Mar 1, 2013

keep me at my desk. I am less tempted to get out and about.

Mary Worby  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:10
German to English
+ ...
Sometimes Mar 1, 2013

On those rare occasions when we get a glorious sunny day in the UK, sitting down to work can be somewhat more of a chore than otherwise.

Normally I'm not bothered what the weather is doing, but sometimes my productivity is indirectly affected, e.g. if it snows so school is closed or there is a thunderstorm which affects the power supply.

DianeGM  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:10
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Yes ... Mar 1, 2013

Any kind of extreme weather causes havok with the infrastructure, heavy rain, high winds, thunderstorms, snow, heat wave, etc. One learns to adapt and take lots of precautionary measures, etc.

Veronika Hansova  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 20:10
Member (2006)
English to Czech
+ ...
Over the years I have observed... Mar 1, 2013

... that I even tend to accept less job offers in the summer months, or if I do accept a big project, I prefer start working early in the morning so that I could end earlier and enjoy the rest of the summer day in the garden, sporting etc.
And adequately, as the weather gets colder, more windy or rainy, I tend to accept more and more jobs, and my productivity increases.

That's from the - let's say - global point of view. Within a single day, I also try to arrange my work duties according to the weather. I love cycling, and so I try to do maximum work in the hours when I cannot go out. And as soon as the weather conditions change favourably so that I could ride my bike, I get distracted from work.

But that aúplies to all in-house professions.icon_smile.gif

neilmac  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Sometimes Mar 1, 2013

I rely on rural wifi internet which is sometimes unavailable during or as a result of storms in the area. Power cuts are also quite a frequent occurence, especially when it rains heavily.

Speak of the devil! I've had a wifi outage of a few hours today due to a general area fault caused by last night's storm, but it's back online now.

[Edited at 2013-03-01 16:28 GMT]

Sarai Pahla (MD) MBChB
Germany
Member (2012)
Japanese to English
+ ...
Heat waves and dry cold Mar 1, 2013

Heat waves are particularly troublesome, as I simply can't work during the middle of the day, but also can't sleep during that time because of the heat - fortunately, the really bad one's (35 degrees and above) don't come very often or last too long. Very dry, cold winters are difficult because my fingers get really stiff, making it more difficult to work.

Timo Eugster  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 02:10
Finnish to English
+ ...
Oh goodness, yes Mar 1, 2013

While it's not strictly a weather condition, the smog in Beijing is something that really affects my mood and how I work.

The beginning of this year has seen some particularly nasty days, with smog levels going off the charts on a few occasions (some commentators referred to it as the "airpocalypse"). I find that I get headaches a lot more easily during heavy smog days, so I try to limit my time in front of the computer screen.

By contrast, today's been a wonderful clear and sunny day so I've been in a great mood and productive. The weather makes a big differenceicon_smile.gif

Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Not really Mar 1, 2013

When the weather is like it had been the past 3 months, a "friendly, wet" gray, it's not only easier for me to work at my desk, it makes me grateful for not having to go back and fro to/from an "external" work place.

You could even say that nasty weather increases my productivity as not having to contemplate the "outdoor misery".icon_biggrin.gif

Tatty  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
+ ...
In summer Mar 1, 2013

For most of the year here in Madrid the sky is clear blue, which really makes me want to go out and about. In summer though, I just can't resist. I take on fewer translations. Agencies slow down too, with deadlines becoming more generous. Most offices have a summer timetable anyway, closing around 3 pm.

Gianluca Marras  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
yes Mar 1, 2013

staying at my desk when it is sunny and warm, with a swimming pool just a few km from my flat....
when I visit my family in Sardinia, and I have to work.... even more difficult since from my mom's flat I can see the beach!!!

Cold days? staying at home (to work) is very very nice.

Steven Segaert
Estonia
Member (2012)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Depends Mar 1, 2013

Only when I need to spend some time shovelling snowicon_smile.gif.

Tim Drayton  Identity Verified
Cyprus
Turkish to English
+ ...
Yes, definitely Mar 1, 2013

Yes, here in Cyprus I find it virtually impossible to work during the daytime in the second half of July and most of August with the temperature hovering around forty degrees centigrade.

Oliver Lawrence  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
+ ...
In summer, perhaps Mar 1, 2013

On a boiling hot August afternoon, it can be tough to keep up the momentum.

Louise Péron  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to French
Sometimes Mar 1, 2013

I am sometimes tempted to leave the office and enjoy the sunshine in the summer, unfortunately summer is my busiest period so I keep working!

So I end up working quite slowly because I force myself to work, while pining for the beach and looking at the blue sky outside the window.

Luckily (?), it rains quite often in my part of France so I am not very often distracted!

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Does the weather affect your productivity?

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search