Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
Poll: How many words do you typically translate per day?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff

ProZ.com Staff
Local time: 22:31
SITE STAFF
Mar 3, 2013

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "How many words do you typically translate per day?".

View the poll results »

Tim Drayton  Identity Verified
Cyprus
Local time: 08:31
Turkish to English
+ ...
2,000 - 3,000 Mar 3, 2013

This depends on various factors, such as the difficulty of the text, the amount of time spent researching terminology and the number of hours worked in a day.

I have recently worked for eight consecutive days on quite a difficult text, having put in just under 62 1/2 hours, to turn 13,953 source words into 21,344 target words.

That works out at 1,744 source and 2,668 target words per day.

Gianluca Marras  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 07:31
Member (2008)
English to Italian
3.000 - 4.000 Mar 3, 2013

That's my average, and it tends to be more 3.000, and obviously when we say translate we mean: translate, proofreading, and in case of particularly difficult texts also read the proofread version.

Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
It depends Mar 3, 2013

Depending on how many hours are in my work day, I can translate between 2,000 - 3,000 of "regular" translations with average difficulties and/ or research requirements.

However, when it comes to creative translations, then my day's "high" sometimes barely reached 700 words. Translating 700 words doesn't take all day, of course noticon_wink.gif, but rewriting them so that they sound "just perfect" can be quite time- consuming.icon_smile.gif

Marijke Singer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:31
Dutch to English
+ ...
I work an average of 10 hours a day Mar 3, 2013

And translate anything between 3000 and 6000 words in a day (checked twice). I recently helped translate a text that brought my production level to about 200 words an hour. It was a nightmare. The highest amount of words I have ever translated in a day has been 11,000 words but I did not have to check any terminology and a lot could be done with find and replace. I touch type and am very fast. Software packages with shortcuts are a nightmare for me since I rarely look at the keyboard.

neilmac  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
2-3K Mar 3, 2013

I try to get clients to understand that 2000 words a day is an average output which they should try to take account of when setting deadlines. It's an uphill struggle.

I can do more if I'm pushed, but prefer not to be under too much pressure. For example, this week I have several things I need to see to other than translation (driving test, hospital visit, dentist, tax office, bank...) which will consume a lot of my time. I also expect a couple of clients to coincide towards the end of the week, both with deadlines of their own to meet, so it's possible that I'll end up translating 3 or 4 times what would be comfortable...

Manescu Alexandra  Identity Verified
Romania
Romanian to English
+ ...
2000...but depends (on payment and other) Mar 3, 2013

ProZ.com Staff wrote:

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "How many words do you typically translate per day?".

View the poll results »

Usually a day I do around 2000, but might be even 3/ 4 000....if the pay is high, and a good client. (hurry up) But I am curios how they manage to do a quality work those who claim to manage 7,000 or 8,000....???

Enrico Zoffoli  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2013)
German to Italian
+ ...
same question Mar 3, 2013

Alexandranow wrote: But I am curios how they manage to do a quality work those who claim to manage 7,000 or 8,000....???

I found that puzzling, too.

Paulo Celestino Guimaraes  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 02:31
English to Portuguese
+ ...
to manage 7,000 or 8,000 words per day or even 5k/6k Mar 3, 2013

Enrico Zoffoli wrote:

Alexandranow wrote: But I am curios how they manage to do a quality work those who claim to manage 7,000 or 8,000....???

I found that puzzling, too.

.. not only puzzling ...it is just unbelievable !!!!

Anton Konashenok  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Russian
+ ...
It's not at all unbelievable Mar 3, 2013

If a translator, for example, is natively bilingual, has 20-30 years of professional experience, and has also worked as a simultaneous interpreter, then 5000-7000 words of high-quality translation per day is fairly normal.

Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:31
English to German
+ ...
Less than 2000 Mar 3, 2013

My rates are rather high. Which means that I only get difficult, sophisticated, challenging, creative and research-intensive texts. That's exactly how I want it. I am a translator, not a typist. I want to be paid for brain work, not for performance in terms of words per hour.

Teresa Borges
Portugal
Local time: 06:31
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Around 2,000 words, Mar 3, 2013

maybe 3,000 words on a good day, but as others have already said it depends on the subject. Like Nicole my rates are rather high and even after 30 years experience I cannot (and I do not want nor wish to) translate more than that. Quality rather than quantity is my motto!

macimovic
Netherlands
English to Serbian
+ ...
2000+ Mar 3, 2013

Without a CAT tool. Depends of the subject too. I managed to translate 2000 words in 4 hours, but I was already quite familiar with the type of the client's documentation.

R-i-c-h-a-r-d  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 02:31
Member (2006)
Portuguese to English
+ ...
2000 - 2500 Mar 3, 2013

That's about my limit, up to 2500 words + revision, but I have been able to achieve 4000 words on occasion.

I don't post on Proz on a regular basis, but today I would be very interested in hearing from those people who posted >8000. It's beyond bizarre.

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Scale is Out of range Mar 3, 2013

Instead the range should have been maybe

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How many words do you typically translate per day?

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search