Poll: How frequently do you receive compliments on a job you've done?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff

ProZ.com Staff
Local time: 05:32
SITE STAFF
Mar 10, 2013

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "How frequently do you receive compliments on a job you've done?".

This poll was originally submitted by Alvaro Morales. View the poll results »

Tim Drayton  Identity Verified
Cyprus
Local time: 15:32
Turkish to English
+ ...
Rarely Mar 10, 2013

I go on the assumption that no news is good news.

Tatty  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:32
Spanish to English
+ ...
No news is good news Mar 10, 2013

Me too. Its a rare occurrence but it did happen this week.

I was a bit torn though between rarely and once in a while.

Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 21:32
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Between rarely... Mar 10, 2013

...and once in a blue moon.

However, I am asked politely from time to time by apologetic customers to rework sentences since a lot of tech documents I translate are poorly written and Japanese can be very ambiguous, with subjects and objects omitted and little distinction between singular and plural. icon_eek.gif

Oh, yes. I quite agree with Tim and Tatty that "No news is good news" and that you can assume that everything is hunky-dory if the customer does not get back to you. icon_smile.gif

neilmac  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Once in a while Mar 10, 2013

Feedback is always welcome, but I'm usually pleasantly surprised to receive compliments. I also particularly enjoy being thanked for pointing out errors or omissions in source texts, which happened the other day.

Gianluca Marras  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
Never Mar 10, 2013

Well, it could seem my work has never been appreciated, but I have to say that I have worked for the same clients for over 10 years and I received compliments in the past, obviously we know each other and I guess there is no need to receive compliments, and also, as others said: no news good news. Now the best compliment I receive is: "thanks you saved us" - When I take a sort of impossible translation and I allow them to deliver on time.

Teresa Borges
Portugal
Local time: 13:32
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...

I have maybe three or four customers that have occasionally speak up in praise; all the others keep silent…

Suzan Hamer  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English
+ ...
Not to blow my own horn or anything... Mar 10, 2013

but I received this from a client last week: "Please feel free to send your invoice. I can't remember ever having been so happy to pay one!" (Note to self: Bill client.)

Taking a quick look at client emails from the past few weeks I see a "Thanks again for all you do!" and "Thank you so much for all your help. We truly do appreciate it."

I often get a "thanks for the great job," but then I make a point of working only for great people who appreciate my "fussiness"....

[Edited at 2013-03-10 12:01 GMT]

[Edited at 2013-03-10 12:23 GMT]

Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...

It does happen now and then that a client states his or her satisfaction with my work. This applies especially to projects which required a "more freely" translation.

IMHO, indirect compliments are being "delivered" with every new project I'm being asked to complete. Actions speak louder than (the written) words.icon_wink.gif

Teresa Borges
Portugal
Local time: 13:32
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
By the way... Mar 10, 2013

... this profession can be quite humbling: I have never heard again from the client that in 1992 gave me the best praise I ever received…

[Edited at 2013-03-10 18:47 GMT]

Claudia Aguero  Identity Verified
Costa Rica
Local time: 06:32
Spanish to English
+ ...
They recommend me Mar 10, 2013

Many clients are very thankful because I always have their translations on time, even though that means working late at night or on weekends. They always say: "We know you're always there for us." Others return after five or six years and they remember the quality of my translations.

Many of them recommend me to other people and I think this is an excellent compliment.

Alison Sabedoria  Identity Verified
France
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
Fairly frequently Mar 10, 2013

But that probably says more about my clients (I try to choose them carefully and they are mostly in a certain "milieu") than it does about my work! icon_wink.gif

On the other hand, I do think that there's a link between price and appreciation: what comes cheap is rarely valued.

There may be no connection, but I try to compliment and thank others as often as I can - it costs nothing and it can make a real difference to someone's day.

Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:32
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yeup! Mar 10, 2013

Wordeffect wrote:

There may be no connection, but I try to compliment and thank others as often as I can - it costs nothing and it can make a real difference to someone's day.

I totally agree, if we want to make a change in the world, we have to start with ourselves ^_^

Marlene Blanshay  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 08:32
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
once in a while Mar 10, 2013

like most, I go by the old maxim of no news= good news.
But just this past week I did a translation for a client who usually does eng>fr, or english reviews. But they were really overloaded and he had a Fr >eng translation. he and his partner often compliment me, usually just 'good job!'. But generally silence is golden!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How frequently do you receive compliments on a job you've done?

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search