Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Does your income allow you to save?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Gregory Berge
Gregory Berge
Japan
Local time: 04:26
English to French
Yes Mar 11, 2013

I love this surveys because every time your answers teach me a lot about translating.

So today, I am glad I can hint you a little bit on saving.
(I erased 25.000$ of debts in 2 years so I know what I'm talking about

We all have our own Life challenges when it comes to saving $.
I don't have kids and I live at my mom's but I assume you don't face the same challenges as me neither.

S
... See more
I love this surveys because every time your answers teach me a lot about translating.

So today, I am glad I can hint you a little bit on saving.
(I erased 25.000$ of debts in 2 years so I know what I'm talking about

We all have our own Life challenges when it comes to saving $.
I don't have kids and I live at my mom's but I assume you don't face the same challenges as me neither.

Saving money doesn't depend on your income.
Saving money is a skill. It's a habit.

If you can't save anything, the income is not your problem.
The problem is the way you handle your income.
(And before erasing 25.000 of debts, I SPENT 50.000$ so once again I know what I'm talking about when I say "handle your income").

Here is my tactic
1st of the month: I see how much I have + how much I made last month.

Then I ask myself what are the financial priorities of my Life.
Then I offer each priority a % of my income, depending on how important they are.
My monthly saving/spending plan looks like this:

30% of my income to pay off my debts.
20% for my future move abroad
20% for my health/business/personal development
10% for taxes
10% for charity
10% to reward myself when I work well

This way, it's only the 1st of the month but my money is virtually already spent!

Once again, this is my plan. This is my financial life today.

Your priorities are probably a lot different than mine. Nevermind.
All you must do is set your priorities. Decide which % of your income they deserve. And save it.
But the key is to do it on the first of the month.
If you wait to see if you have any money left on the 31st to save it...you're screwed 11 months out of 12.

Good luck everybody.
Collapse

Tim Drayton
Tim Drayton  Identity Verified
Cyprus
Local time: 22:26
Turkish to English
+ ...
Not always true Mar 11, 2013

Gregory Berge wrote:

Saving money doesn't depend on your income.

It does to an extent.

There is a minimum amount of money that you need to meet the bare necessities, and if you can't earn at least that much, you can't save.

In fact, if you earn less than that much, you have to start running down your savings.

Tatty
Tatty  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:26
Spanish to English
+ ...
The choice is always yours Mar 11, 2013

Nowadays, you can choose the size of your family... You can also choose what kind of accommodation you wish to live in and the location, bearing in mind your budget.

If you are not making enough to make ends meet then you have a choice. You can either reduce your basic living costs or try to supplement your income with another activity.

What's more, when you have built up a little nest egg, you can start being more picky about the jobs you take. This will allow you to c
... See more
Nowadays, you can choose the size of your family... You can also choose what kind of accommodation you wish to live in and the location, bearing in mind your budget.

If you are not making enough to make ends meet then you have a choice. You can either reduce your basic living costs or try to supplement your income with another activity.

What's more, when you have built up a little nest egg, you can start being more picky about the jobs you take. This will allow you to chase higher rates.

[Editado a las 2013-03-11 12:21 GMT]
Collapse

Daina Jauntirans
Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:26
German to English
+ ...
Always save something Mar 11, 2013

Vadim Kadyrov wrote:

even 10 dollars per month is OK - it will be 120 USD at the end of the year. Extra 120 USD!

Good book to start with - "Making Millions For Dummies"

(the name is rather pretentious, I know, but it is worth reading).

Yes, I am saving: short-term savings for things like car repairs, long-term savings/emergency fund, and retirement savings. Not huge amounts anywhere, but enough to feel that we have a small safety net. It's a long story, but my husband's pension is insecure; I am freelance and hoping Social Security will still be around; university tuition is exploding, and we have two kids. Even with some savings we expect to be working for a good long while.

PS Vadim, the book I always recommend is "Your Money or Your Life" by Vicki Robin and Joe Dominguez. I will have to take a look at your recommendation!

Luca Tutino
Luca Tutino  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
Different worlds Mar 11, 2013

Gregory Berge wrote:
10% for taxes

LOL !!!

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 20:26
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
I don't try any more Mar 11, 2013

I see life in phases:

When you're young, you see no reason to save
When you're settled, with maybe a young family, there is every reason to secure the future, so you do save
When you're nearing retirement, and if things have turned out reasonably well, why not enjoy what's left of your life?

At 57, I'm no longer making any attempt to save. I have paid-for property in two countries, bank accounts in three - none of them are worth that much (no mansions or any
... See more
I see life in phases:

When you're young, you see no reason to save
When you're settled, with maybe a young family, there is every reason to secure the future, so you do save
When you're nearing retirement, and if things have turned out reasonably well, why not enjoy what's left of your life?

At 57, I'm no longer making any attempt to save. I have paid-for property in two countries, bank accounts in three - none of them are worth that much (no mansions or anything like that), but what I've got should last me now. I'm not anxious to leave anything other than property to my two adult kids: I'm sure they can make their own way in life.

So, I'm not doing anything (too) wasteful with my money, but I'm not consciously saving either.
Collapse

Elizabeth Faracini
Elizabeth Faracini  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:26
Member (2010)
Italian to English
+ ...
Yes Mar 11, 2013

John Cutler wrote:

It'd be a discredit to my frugal New England roots if I didn't!

Indeed!

Enrico Zoffoli
Enrico Zoffoli  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2013)
German to Italian
+ ...
:D Mar 11, 2013

Luca Tutino wrote:

Gregory Berge wrote:
10% for taxes

LOL !!!

I had quite the same reaction

Josef Šoltes
Josef Šoltes  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
Tax Mar 11, 2013

Thats quite possible, as tax is maybe 15 percent, but only from tax base - you deduct your costs. So yes, he can save only 10% on taxes...

Lanny Widianto
Lanny Widianto  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 02:26
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Forced Save Mar 12, 2013

I did not save in the beginning, but now I use the tactic of forced savings. Most of my clients use Paypal to pay, so when I withdraw money from Paypal, I split them into 2 accounts, one for cost of living, and one for savings, never to be touched or even looked at.

This way, in my mind, I only earn whatever amount I have in my cost of living account, and adjust my expenses accordingly. It is hard with kid though. I live in Indonesia, where standard of living is lower than Europe an
... See more
I did not save in the beginning, but now I use the tactic of forced savings. Most of my clients use Paypal to pay, so when I withdraw money from Paypal, I split them into 2 accounts, one for cost of living, and one for savings, never to be touched or even looked at.

This way, in my mind, I only earn whatever amount I have in my cost of living account, and adjust my expenses accordingly. It is hard with kid though. I live in Indonesia, where standard of living is lower than Europe and U.S., but raising kids is expensive anywhere.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Does your income allow you to save?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »