Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Does your income allow you to save?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff

ProZ.com Staff
Local time: 07:44
SITE STAFF
Mar 11, 2013

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Does your income allow you to save?".

View the poll results »

Gianluca Marras  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 16:44
Member (2008)
English to Italian
No Mar 11, 2013

A couple of reasons for this answer:
1) Italy is not the best place at the moment, saving is a sort of miracle
2) Rates have remained the same for quite along time now, but prices are higher
3) Maybe I am not so good at saving (with two kids sometimes it is quite difficult)

Tim Drayton  Identity Verified
Cyprus
Local time: 17:44
Turkish to English
+ ...
No Mar 11, 2013

No, not for several years now. Having said that, I have experienced a massive increase in work volume so far this year, and if this continues throughout 2013, then by the end of the year, I will be able to say 'yes'.

Sitiens (X)
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
No Mar 11, 2013

Not right now, no. But I am just starting up, so we'll see in two years or soicon_smile.gif

Tatty  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes Mar 11, 2013

I think that saving is a duty, and that no matter how little I earn I should always be able to save something.

Being a freelance translator is conducive to saving. I only need house clothes to work, and any clothes I buy for interpreting I put down as expenses. I pay very little in terms of transport and any courses I do are tax-deductible, as is my work space. I actually lead a frugal existence.

Vadim Kadyrov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 17:44
Member (2011)
English to Russian
+ ...
One is never too broke to save - they say Mar 11, 2013

even 10 dollars per month is OK - it will be 120 USD at the end of the year. Extra 120 USD!

Good book to start with - "Making Millions For Dummies"

(the name is rather pretentious, I know, but it is worth reading).

Alexander Kondorsky  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 18:44
English to Russian
+ ...
Other Mar 11, 2013

Being able to save is not a matter of income. One can make $100,000 a month and spend them all, while one other may find it possible to save making only $300 per month. There are many examples.

Maria Danilova
Spain
Spanish to Russian
+ ...
No Mar 11, 2013

Gianluca Marras wrote:

A couple of reasons for this answer:
1) Italy is not the best place at the moment, saving is a sort of miracle
2) Rates have remained the same for quite along time now, but prices are higher
3) Maybe I am not so good at saving (with two kids sometimes it is quite difficult)

The same for Spain (one kid in my case)

Judith Anne Smith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
+ ...
No (Spain, too) Mar 11, 2013

Alexander Kondorsky wrote:

Being able to save is not a matter of income. One can make $100,000 a month and spend them all, while one other may find it possible to save making only $300 per month. There are many examples.

How can I save when I can't make it to the end of the month? (With basic expenses except for internet, which for me IS a necessity)

neilmac  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other Mar 11, 2013

Not really.
Many years ago, when I started working in TEFL, I often found it very difficult to make ends meet - sometimes because of late payments, in addition to not having quite enough work.
By the time I started combining TEFL and translation, I was more or less making enough to pay the bills regularly and indulge in my non-work-related pursuits.
Now that I am working almost exclusively in translation, I earn at least the same as I did then, perhaps slightly more. I have never really believed in saving per se, but I notice that over the past few years my bank account has never gone into the red, and in fact I was surprised to find the other day that I had a balance of a couple of thousand euros more than I expected - which is nice, because I had to pay a rather large traffic fine last week...

Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
Yes Mar 11, 2013

Living from hand to mouth is cool when you're a young or if you translate for pocket money.

I save for when my children go to uni, when I get ill from old age, when my car need changing, when we go on holiday... and also to have no debt or mortage whatsoever to be borne by my descendence.

Luckily, I don't have to burn it all for daily expenses.

Philippe

Teresa Borges
Portugal
Local time: 15:44
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Yes and no... Mar 11, 2013

Yes, my income allows me to save, but my daughters need me to help them (they both live in Portugal where the situation is similar to Spain or even worse).

Annett Hieber  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
Depends on your family's size (if any) Mar 11, 2013

Tatty wrote:

I think that saving is a duty, and that no matter how little I earn I should always be able to save something.

Being a freelance translator is conducive to saving. I only need house clothes to work, and any clothes I buy for interpreting I put down as expenses. I pay very little in terms of transport and any courses I do are tax-deductible, as is my work space. I actually lead a frugal existence.

I have to agree with Gianluca with regard to the point that children actually cost a lot of money nowadays. I, personally, can lead a "frugal" life, but with children many things come up: school excursions, new clothing and shoes when growing, etc.

Annett

Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
French to English
Other Mar 11, 2013

No, not really, but I do anyway, if only a teeny weeny amount. Dreams of using a third for accommodation (including charges, bills), spending a third (food, clothing, transport, leisure) and saving a third are long gone!

John Cutler  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Of course Mar 11, 2013

It'd be a discredit to my frugal New England roots if I didn't! icon_eek.gif

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Does your income allow you to save?

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search