https://www.proz.com/forum/poll_discussion/245089-poll_do_you_own_more_than_one_cat_tool-page2.html

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Do you own more than one CAT tool?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Rebecca Garber
Rebecca Garber  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:46
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
I bought one... Mar 14, 2013

but I use two.

I bought WordFast, because I use a Mac and there are no other alternatives.

Several years ago, one of my clients gave me an Across license (I had to buy the computer). I now have 3 clients that want Across, and 1 that consistently wants WordFast. It works pretty well. WF does tend to treat its Mac customers like second class citizens (the inability to expand the dictionary being the most egregious fault), but it's highly intuitive and gets the job done. <
... See more
but I use two.

I bought WordFast, because I use a Mac and there are no other alternatives.

Several years ago, one of my clients gave me an Across license (I had to buy the computer). I now have 3 clients that want Across, and 1 that consistently wants WordFast. It works pretty well. WF does tend to treat its Mac customers like second class citizens (the inability to expand the dictionary being the most egregious fault), but it's highly intuitive and gets the job done.

That said, I'm not interested in getting any more CAT tools. Except for the fluffy kind; they make excellent project managers and I find their supervision to be very paws on.
Collapse

Marcus Malabad
Marcus Malabad  Identity Verified
Canada
German to English
+ ...
7 Mar 14, 2013

Across, Deja vu, SDL Trados Studio, SDLX, Translation Workspace, Transit NXT, MemoQ (some given for free).

But Deja vu forever and always! Even those clients who insist on Trados, there's a way of circumventing this requirement with DVX. I despise Trados the most after 13 years of using CAT tools. I simply refuse to work with clients who offer or insist on new tools.

Triston Goodwin
Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:46
Spanish to English
+ ...
Freeware Mar 14, 2013

I found some free CAT tools a while back, but stopped using them. I haven't really looked at anything else, but I am starting to think that I will need to invest in one sooner or later.

Sarah Kasperek
Sarah Kasperek  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 08:46
German to English
+ ...
The joys of studying translation... Mar 15, 2013

... is that it's a great opportunity to find out which tools you like best!

I was taught Wordfast and MemoQ in school. I learned Trados 2007 during a translation internship, and I now mainly use Studio 2011. Only MemoQ and Studio are currently on my computer, but luckily all were either free due to being trials or for a limited amount of time, agreed on between the instructor and the company, or sold at an awesome student discount.

I prefer to work with Studio 2011, tho
... See more
... is that it's a great opportunity to find out which tools you like best!

I was taught Wordfast and MemoQ in school. I learned Trados 2007 during a translation internship, and I now mainly use Studio 2011. Only MemoQ and Studio are currently on my computer, but luckily all were either free due to being trials or for a limited amount of time, agreed on between the instructor and the company, or sold at an awesome student discount.

I prefer to work with Studio 2011, though I really like MemoQ, but my current full-time job uses Studio, so I have much more practice with it.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you own more than one CAT tool?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »