Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
Poll: Do you prefer that your clients be based in your country of residence?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff

ProZ.com Staff
Local time: 21:36
SITE STAFF
Mar 15, 2013

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you prefer that your clients be based in your country of residence?".

View the poll results »

Mary Worby  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:36
German to English
+ ...
No Mar 15, 2013

I'm based in the UK and most of my clients are in Europe. Unfortunately UK-based agencies are not able to pay the same rates as those in the Euro-zone and elsewhere in Europe.

Teresa Borges
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
No Mar 15, 2013

I welcome ALL clients from ALL countries as long as their projects are within my fields of specialization and they pay as agreed

[Edited at 2013-03-15 09:20 GMT]

Chris S  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Swedish to English
+ ...
Absolutely not Mar 15, 2013

UK clients don't pay anywhere near as much, are less appreciative and can take an age to pay!

Tim Drayton  Identity Verified
Cyprus
Local time: 07:36
Turkish to English
+ ...
No preference Mar 15, 2013

Why would I have?

OK, generally speaking, translation rates here in Cyprus are very low, but if a local client wishes to accept my rates, I do not see why I would look with any less favour on their custom.

ventnai  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 06:36
German to English
+ ...
Mess me about Mar 15, 2013

I prefer not to work with Spanish agencies because they pay less and always want things done yesterday. I was recently contacted by an agency in Gerona. As they had a high rating on the Blue Board, I responded to their email. I indicated my rates, which they accepted. They then had me jump through a series of hoops. First, they wanted a test translation for delivery the following day (I refused and did it in my own time). Then they wanted two referees, which I reluctantly gave to them as I don't like taking up my clients' time. They wanted a copy of my degree - God knows where that is. Finally, they asked for my registration form with the tax office. I registered such a long time ago that I had no idea where it was, but we found an alternative. Once they were satisfied, they then offered me the "super, large project" which they had just managed to secure and wanted to pay half the rate that I had indicated. This is typical behaviour in the Spanish economy: very high requirements and then you are offered a pittance and they make it sound as though they are doing you a favour.

Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:36
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
No Mar 15, 2013

I don't care where they are as long as they can pay me.

In fact, I like to "collect" countries. I think the total is around 25 so far.

Teresa Borges
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Never thought of counting them... Mar 15, 2013

Muriel Vasconcellos wrote:

I don't care where they are as long as they can pay me.

In fact, I like to "collect" countries. I think the total is around 25 so far.

18 for me so far...

neilmac  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes Mar 15, 2013

Mainly due to payment issues.

Allison Wright  Identity Verified
Portugal
German to English
+ ...
Makes no difference to me Mar 15, 2013

A good rate, and something within my field of knowledge and prompt payment are the main considerations.

I do not have to pay VAT to the Portuguese authorities for amounts invoiced to non-EU clients, so I suppose I do have a "preferred client" list.

I see a couple of French and German-based agencies are now setting up shop in Portugal and offering (if you can call it that) low rates to freelancers, combined with a distinct lack of professionalism. Good luck to them!

As to country count, over my career I have collected a paltry 12, of which only 4 - including my country of residence - are current.

Susanna Martoni  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
Yes Mar 15, 2013

neilmac wrote:

Mainly due to payment issues.

The same reason for me.

David Hayes  Identity Verified
France
Member (2009)
French to English
Yes Mar 15, 2013

Yes, I do prefer this, although I suspect it's a little irrational of me. Although most of my clients are in France, I have also had odd jobs from Belgium, Austria and Canada.

nordiste  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
no, but not too far either Mar 15, 2013

I am in France and I prefer clients in the Euro zone, which lets me a big choice anyway.

neilmac  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Been there, done that Mar 15, 2013

Ian Jones wrote:

I prefer not to work with Spanish agencies because they pay less and always want things done yesterday. ... typical behaviour in the Spanish economy: very high requirements and then you are offered a pittance and they make it sound as though they are doing you a favour.

There are a few decent agencies, but most of the time they tend to fit the description. The best bet is to try to build up a portfolio of non-agency clients, although I can't offer any advice on how to do so, as mine all came to me by word of mouth recommendation and I have never actively sought out clients myself.

Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 14:36
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Yes Mar 15, 2013

So that I can go to their offices and talk to them face-to-face and develop the rapport and trust for a good business relationship.
This is the traditional way of doing business over here. No talking to anonymous voices on the other end of a telephone call or via e-mail. Looking someone in the face also makes "payment issues" as others have pointed out in this poll less of an issue. icon_biggrin.gif

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you prefer that your clients be based in your country of residence?

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search