Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Does working as a translator or interpreter run in your family?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff

ProZ.com Staff
Local time: 05:34
SITE STAFF
Mar 17, 2013

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Does working as a translator or interpreter run in your family?".

View the poll results »

Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:34
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes Mar 17, 2013

My mother was an ASL interpreter for several years. All of my siblings and I picked up a little bit of it, but I am the only one working as an interpreter/translator now, and I only work in ES/EN, not ASL. My wife is also a translator and we look forward to raising a small army of bilingual translation machines! er, I mean kids...

As a side note, it was really great being able to communicate in sign language as kids. We managed to get out of all kinds of trouble and we still use it today for our evil schemes ^_^

EvaVer  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:34
Member (2012)
Czech to English
+ ...
This is not how I would put it, Mar 17, 2013

but yes, my mother was a translator/interpreter, and I never wanted to be one, but then I needed money and found out that it was easy for me.

Anne Carnot  Identity Verified
Belgium
Member (2009)
English to French
Yes and no :-) Mar 17, 2013

My great grand-mother was a translator, translating novels at a time when women translators were quite rare... But both her daughter and then my mom were really, really bad with languages, and my brother and sister hardly have any interest for them... I on the other hand started learning English when I was 8, and never really stoppedicon_wink.gif All 3 of my kids started learning English at a very young age, but I'm still to see the "translator's sparks" in themicon_smile.gif

Teresa Borges
Portugal
Local time: 13:34
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
No Mar 17, 2013

As far as I know (I come from a very large extended family), I am the first full-time translator in the family, but I am starting a family tradition as one of my daughters is also a translator…

PS. Here we go again: http://www.proz.com/forum/poll_discussion/102871-poll:_does_translation_interpretation_run_in_the_family.html

Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
German to English
Nope Mar 17, 2013

I am the first and probably the last

trans_caff
Local time: 15:34
English to Arabic
+ ...
I think this is normal Mar 17, 2013

the result of vote show it is not a famous job to work as a ranslator

Catharine Cellier-Smart  Identity Verified
Reunion
Local time: 16:34
Member (2010)
French to English
+ ...
Other Mar 17, 2013

It doesn't run in my family as far as I'm aware (not on my Dad's side, and my Mum was adopted), but my mother-in-law was a trained translator and interpreter.

Els Hoefman  Identity Verified
English to Dutch
+ ...
Good at languages Mar 17, 2013

No real translators in my family, but my mother/aunt/grandmother are all good at languages and that is/was an important part of their jobs.

Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 21:34
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Nope Mar 17, 2013

Like Michael, I am the first and last in my family lineage. And, there aren't exactly a lot of linguistic Holmes' in this part of the woods, either. I really don't know where this DNA came from.

God knows what happened! Studying Japanese after 4 years of Greek and 7 years of Latin and then living 34 years on the other side of the globe doesn't exactly seem like a natural progression, does it?

Fate works in mysterious and marvellous ways! icon_smile.gif

tradu-grace  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
not exactly Mar 17, 2013

No real translators in my family but my parents and relatives are good at languages for job reasons.

Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
No Mar 17, 2013

There are no linguists in my family, though my sister has a good knowledge of English, or as I call it "Aussie", since she lived in Australia for a couple of years.

So I guess I've jumped off the regular DNA tracks that run in my family. And why not?icon_wink.gif

Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:34
English to Spanish
+ ...
Lovely thought Mar 17, 2013

Triston Goodwin wrote:

My mother was an ASL interpreter for several years. All of my siblings and I picked up a little bit of it, but I am the only one working as an interpreter/translator now, and I only work in ES/EN, not ASL. My wife is also a translator and we look forward to raising a small army of bilingual translation machines! er, I mean kids...

As a side note, it was really great being able to communicate in sign language as kids. We managed to get out of all kinds of trouble and we still use it today for our evil schemes ^_^

Triston, my hat's off to you and your wife for such a wonderful sentiment. Can I tweet about it?

On my side, there is only another translator in my family, a great aunt on my father's side. She was already retired when we met in New York City in 1992 (or 1993) and, however gracious her personality and charming her demeanor, she had little or no inclination to share my zest for the profession. So I'm a lonely beacon.

You and your wife should make it to San Antonio, TX for the ATA Conference this year. I'd love to meet you both!

Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:34
English to Spanish
+ ...
As James Bond said... Never say never Mar 17, 2013

Julian Holmes wrote:

Like Michael, I am the first and last in my family lineage. And, there aren't exactly a lot of linguistic Holmes' in this part of the woods, either. I really don't know where this DNA came from.

God knows what happened! Studying Japanese after 4 years of Greek and 7 years of Latin and then living 34 years on the other side of the globe doesn't exactly seem like a natural progression, does it?

Fate works in mysterious and marvellous ways! icon_smile.gif

Julian, you ought to write a book about your experiences!

Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:34
Spanish to English
+ ...
Be my guest ^_^ Mar 17, 2013

Mario Chavez wrote:

Triston Goodwin wrote:

Triston, my hat's off to you and your wife for such a wonderful sentiment. Can I tweet about it?

On my side, there is only another translator in my family, a great aunt on my father's side. She was already retired when we met in New York City in 1992 (or 1993) and, however gracious her personality and charming her demeanor, she had little or no inclination to share my zest for the profession. So I'm a lonely beacon.

You and your wife should make it to San Antonio, TX for the ATA Conference this year. I'd love to meet you both!

I'll have to look into the conference to see how well it meshes with my school work, but it sure sounds like something we would enjoy. I'm still trying to convince my wife that Comic Con is going to be a good business investment too.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Does working as a translator or interpreter run in your family?

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running and helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search