Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: How often do you check the ProZ.com homepage during a typical working day?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff

ProZ.com Staff
Local time: 17:14
SITE STAFF
Mar 24, 2013

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "How often do you check the ProZ.com homepage during a typical working day?".

View the poll results »

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 02:14
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Sampling bias Mar 24, 2013

If this question has been posted by ProZ staff, they should note that poll respondents are likely to be quite a biased sample of average ProZ users. In fact, poll respondents, by their very nature, are already hopelessly addicted to the ProZ homepage.

My own answer to this poll was "other", because I actually have http://www.proz.com/forum/categories/recent-recent.html as my bookmarked page, so that is the page that I check a totally unnecessary number of times per day.

ventnai  Identity Verified
Spain
German to English
+ ...
One of a set Mar 24, 2013

The Proz.com page is one of a set of initial pages which open up when I launch Firefox and also include online language resources, Wikipedia and an agency website.

neilmac  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other Mar 24, 2013

I don't look at proz every day. The more time I have on my hands, the more often I am likely to check it out, mostly for kudoz.
Nowadays I tend to use the glossary lookups a couple of times a week to check terms, or occasionally post a kudoz query.
If the poll refers to checking out job postings, I only look at these vicariously (there but for the grace...), mainly for the adrenalin boost that comes with umbrage.

[Edited at 2013-03-24 10:11 GMT]

Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:14
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Once Mar 24, 2013

Actually, I rarely go to the home page. The KudoZ questions come to me via e-mail as soon as they're posted, so I don't need to go to the home page for that. I go the poll questions through a direct link once a day.

David Wright  Identity Verified
Austria
German to English
+ ...
Used to drop in more Mar 24, 2013

but the fact that the topics list is largely made up of problems with Trados, which I don't use, has put me off a little. (And the Kudoz questions come directly by email, like Muriel says)

Teresa Borges
Portugal
Local time: 01:14
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
It varies Mar 24, 2013

When things get very busy, days may go by without me visiting Proz at all! As others said, Kudoz questions come directly by email and me too I'm put off by the fact that the topics list is largely made up of problems with Trados, which I don't use either...

[Edited at 2013-03-24 14:42 GMT]

Rebecca Garber  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:14
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
Never Mar 24, 2013

I spend a lot of time on the terminology pages, either answering questions or looking up terms, I check the quick polls, and, if I have time, bounce through the articles.
I never go to the home page.

Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
You can set the forums you see to your own preferences Mar 24, 2013

David Wright wrote:

but the fact that the topics list is largely made up of problems with Trados, which I don't use, has put me off a little. (And the Kudoz questions come directly by email, like Muriel says)

You can change the forums you see when you are logged in, and remove the Trados forum entirely if you like. I have, and I can always find it if I do need some advice. Then there is space for topics you really are interested in.

(Profile > General Settings > Forum dashboard
then click the tab on the right, Homepage forums,
and select or deselect as you like.
Don't forget -- as I sometimes do -- to scroll right down to the bottom and click
'Save Settings', or you will not benefit from your efforts!)

I don't know how many times a day I look by - it depends on whether I am too bysym or using the KudoZ glossaries or need frequent breaks.
Or whether there is some topic I am following or can't resist joining in...

Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
German to English
Same here Mar 24, 2013

Teresa Borges wrote:

When things get very busy, days may go by without me visiting Proz at all!

[Edited at 2013-03-24 14:42 GMT]

Marlene Blanshay  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 20:14
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
once or twice Mar 24, 2013

I get the job offers emailed to me so I check those out...usually it's 1-3 jobs in my pair.

Stanislaw Czech, MCIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
Once or twice Mar 24, 2013

I keep track of relevant issues by means of email allerts. Not just for Kudoz, also for jobs, selected forum posts and entire forums like for instance one in Polish.

BR
S

Steve Kerry  Identity Verified
German to English
When I'm not busy! Mar 24, 2013

Generally take a look if I'm having a quiet day, but even then it's more for the recreational aspect than anything else, since the posted jobs are usually either unsuitable or at unacceptably low rates. When I'm busy I don't check in for days at a time - just doesn't occur to me!

Steve K.

Allison Wright  Identity Verified
Portugal
German to English
+ ...
1 - 3 times Mar 24, 2013

That where the poll question is.icon_wink.gif

Also: scan through KudoZ, Recent Forum Posts, and Translation News.

I am quite good at ignoring advertising banners.

I read the poll question and responses midmorning; the rest occasionally at night, if compelling.

So, twice is probably the most accurate answer.

Hin und Wieder  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2012)
German to Dutch
+ ...
Addict Mar 25, 2013

I really don't know, I'm an addict, that's for sure!

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How often do you check the ProZ.com homepage during a typical working day?

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running and helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search