Poll: Have you ever worked in a formal partnership with another translator?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
Local time: 23:31
SITE STAFF
Mar 26, 2013

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Have you ever worked in a formal partnership with another translator?".

This poll was originally submitted by Jo Bennett. View the poll results »

Direct link Reply with quote

Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 15:31
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Not exactly sure how to answer this one Mar 26, 2013

I have worked in tandem with another translator on a large manual for a grinder.

Our skills complemented each other's -- he was originally an engineer and knew that much more than me, while I could understand the Japanese more than he could and was a better writer. The project was a success, and we still remain good friends.

Not exactly sure what this "formal partnership with another translator?" is referring to. A company or incorporated body of some kind?

Completed the title (hit the button too soon)

[Edited at 2013-03-26 11:33 GMT]

Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:31
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Not on a permanent basis Mar 26, 2013

But I have often partnered with other translators on large projects.

Chris S  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Not sure how to answer this Mar 26, 2013

I have employed other translators and I currently work alongside my wife, but I have never had any kind of reciprocal arrangement with another freelancer (proofing, referring clients etc).

Checking other people's work is just too tedious.

Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:31
Spanish to English
+ ...
What is a "formal partnership"? Mar 26, 2013

To me this means, "Did you and another translator ever form a translation company, legally structured as a partnership?" If that's the question, then the answer is no. But I can't tell if that's actually what the asker meant.

Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:31
Spanish to English
+ ...
Working on it... Mar 26, 2013

I've partnered up with other translators several times, I've even consulted a group of translators for one project.

I am opening my own little agency here and have a bunch of translators that I work with from time to time, but our work flow is still to low for constant cooperation. We're doing pretty good with interpreting though ^_^

Teresa Borges
Portugal
Local time: 07:31
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Not exactly sure how to answer either... Mar 26, 2013

... but the formation of a translators team was in 1985 the idea behind the creation of Bureau Portugais de Traduction. We are a freelancer cooperative with only 5 associate members.

Japan
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Please tell us -- How does it work? Mar 27, 2013

Teresa Borges wrote:

... but the formation of a translators team was in 1985 the idea behind the creation of Bureau Portugais de Traduction. We are a freelancer cooperative with only 5 associate members.

Nice to see that your cooperative is still running. Congratulations!
Could you tell us why it works and why it has lasted so long?

I'm all ears!

Edited title

[Edited at 2013-03-27 07:33 GMT]

Teresa Borges
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Probably Mar 27, 2013

Julian Holmes wrote:

Teresa Borges wrote:

Nice to see that your cooperative is still running. Congratulations!
Could you tell us why it works and why it has lasted so long?

I'm all ears!

Edited title

[Edited at 2013-03-27 07:14 GMT]

because I'm the "boss" (I'm the more experienced of the bunch), we have an excellent relationship based on friendship and good old fashioned trust and we are lucky enough to have long-lasting clients...

Japan
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Sounds like... Mar 27, 2013

a good old-fashioned recipe.

Teresa Borges wrote:

because I'm the "boss" (I'm the more experienced of the bunch), we have an excellent relationship based on friendship and good old fashioned trust and we are lucky enough to have long-lasting clients...

Thank you, Teresa.

Sebastian Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 08:31
Member (2004)
German to English
+ ...
I'm presently a partner (two-person Professional Partnership with Astrid E. Johnson). Mar 27, 2013

This is a basic form of partnership with simple profit distribution rules (sorry, but I am not gonna disclose that on the Internet, guys ...), all partners actively working in the business and having sole power of representation plus with no limitation of liability. Who is actually willing to put up with the high capital requirements of a German Close Corporation when setting up in business to provide language services, as long as they have taken out pecuniary loss liability insurance for the benefit of their customers, which we have?

Running your own business together with someone you're friends with is great, I love it.
We help each other out in all walks of life, even outside business.

We're even registered in the Essen Professional Partnership Register (Partnerschaftsregister) kept with Essen Local Court to have some formal foundation.

What we do is we mutually edit or proofread each other's translations, and some customers require that to document DIN EN 15038 compliance. We, in turn, are not DIN EN 15038 certified as it tends to inflate the expenses of a business to do so. (DIN is German industry standard).

The partnership has very accurate accounting and documentation procedures in place.

Sebastian

Jo Bennett  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
German to English
+ ...
Thanks for all the contributions! May 21, 2013

Thanks for all the contributions, folks! I have only just discovered them (2 months after I proposed the poll)! I am very interested to read about your partnerships, formal and informal. On 1 October 2012 I and 2 other family members, one of them my husband, formed a "formal" partnership, ie one registered as such with the UK tax authorities. It works well for us so far. We are all individual ProZ members in our capacity as freelancers and are set up as a "team" called Alphanumeric Assistance on ProZ. We are not outsourcers, only suppliers of translation and proofreading services. Because of this I'm not quite sure how to make the best use of what ProZ offers "teams". I have the impression that on ProZ one is either an individual freelancer or an outsourcing company/agency. Please correct me if I'm wrong!
Best wishes,
Jo Bennett

[Edited at 2013-05-21 13:14 GMT]

[Edited at 2013-05-21 13:14 GMT]

Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 08:31
English to Polish
+ ...
No Jun 6, 2013

No, never been married to one.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Have you ever worked in a formal partnership with another translator?

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search