Poll: Most of my work comes primarily from clients based in...
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff

ProZ.com Staff
Local time: 02:33
SITE STAFF
Mar 29, 2013

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Most of my work comes primarily from clients based in...".

This poll was originally submitted by Roy Chaudhuri. View the poll results »

Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 10:33
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
350 votes : over 80% voted Europe Mar 29, 2013

I'm surprised so many voted Europe. This seems such a world-wide site that I thought it would be much more even. In fact, I expected most people to vote, as I did, for "OTHER".

I reckon my work is split just about 50/50 between EU and US clients, with a fair sprinkling of clients in Asia and/or Oceania - I'd have to check with an atlas to be sure of the continent in some cases. Although I have my current main client in the US, so if that collaboration ends maybe I'll answer Europe when the question comes around again.

Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
North America - with an explanation Mar 29, 2013

In terms of volume, the largest portion is international organizations based in North America. However, the majority my clients are based elsewhere: many in Europe, but also South America, Africa, Asia, and Australia.

[Edited at 2013-03-29 10:47 GMT]

Teresa Borges
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Europe Mar 29, 2013

Mainly Europe, both in volume and number, with a sprinkling of clients in North and Central America, Africa and Asia.

Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
English to German
+ ...
Time zones Mar 29, 2013

Sheila Wilson wrote:

I'm surprised so many voted Europe. This seems such a world-wide site that I thought it would be much more even. In fact, I expected most people to vote, as I did, for "OTHER".

Right now it's only 7:30 am at the East Coast, 4:30 am here at the West Coast. The US translators are still asleep - except some insomniacs.icon_smile.gif
I guess we have to wait 24 hours until everyone had the opportunity.

My largest clients are US based.

José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 06:33
English to Portuguese
+ ...
North & South Americas Mar 29, 2013

90% of my work is split 50/50 between clients in Brazil and the USA.

I seldom work for any other Latin American countries, mostly because my working language is PT-BR, and not ES, but also because rates in all LatAm ES-speaking countries are too low, if compared to Brazil. My take is that this stems not only from COL issues, but also due to an excessive supply of ES translators.

Though I speak EN-US, the same problem seems to occur with rates in the UK, where they are often much lower, and very few translation agencies there seem to care about quality as much as many of their American counterparts do. I'm not bigoted, perhaps I've just been in contact with too many 'wrong' agencies in the UK.

The remaining 10% of my work is scattered from Australia eastbound to Turkey, the exception being one sole job from Singapore so far.

BTW, Nicole got it right. Sometimes it's surprising how a Proz poll shifts while translators gradually wake up from EST to PST in America.

[Edited at 2013-03-29 12:12 GMT]

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 11:33
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Europe, but outside Spain Mar 29, 2013

About 90% of my work comes from clients who are based in Europe and of this work, only about 10% comes from Spain, where I live. Three guesses why...

Yvonne Gallagher
Ireland
Member (2010)
French to English
+ ...
other Mar 29, 2013

at the moment (past few months) about 50/50 Europe and US but it varies and can swing either way.

I'll take work from anywhere as long as the rates are OK

Marlene Blanshay  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 05:33
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
North America Mar 29, 2013

Most of my clients are either in my province or country but lately, a lot of my work comes from UK and France/Belgium. It's just that these clients have been sending me a steady amount of work in recent months.
However,I sometimes have to reject jobs with euro deadlines, especially if they're same-day rush jobs and I'm already busy, or by the time I get the job, the deadline is in an hour, or by the time i get the email, someone else has been assigned.
But it can swing here as well. I don't mind where the work comes from, if rates are good...also these days the Euro is doing pretty well against the canadian dollar!

DianeGM  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:33
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Europe Mar 29, 2013

It tends to vary with exchange rate and from year to year

Right nowI would say 60% from Europe (however, like Emma, I have only a handful of Greek clients), 30% from the US and 10% rest of the world.

Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 15:03
English to Hindi
+ ...
Other Mar 29, 2013

I have consciously tried not to put all eggs in one basket and have managed to find and retain clients in all major translation markets - US, Western Europe (Germany, France), UK, Australia, Japan, etc, as well as low-paying markets like South America, Spain-Portugal, India, China, Thailand, etc.

I think this a strategy that all translators should avidly pursue to ensure a stead income flow in case anything happens to their main market.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Most of my work comes primarily from clients based in...

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search