Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Do you reply to work-related emails during the weekend?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
Local time: 07:30
SITE STAFF
Apr 10, 2013

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you reply to work-related emails during the weekend?".

This poll was originally submitted by Raphaël Gingras. View the poll results »

Direct link Reply with quote

Ekaterina Chashnikova  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:30
Member (2011)
English to Russian
+ ...
If it's urgent Apr 10, 2013

and if I monitor my mailbox which does not happen often. Even when I'm working during a weekend, I may not check my mailbox. What's the point in this? My clients don't work during weekends on a regular basis and I prefer clients to respect my right to have some rest anyway.

Marta Brambilla  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 16:30
German to Italian
+ ...
Agree! Apr 10, 2013

Ekaterina Chashnikova wrote:

and if I monitor my mailbox which does not happen often. Even when I'm working during a weekend, I may not check my mailbox. What's the point in this? My clients don't work during weekends on a regular basis and I prefer clients to respect my right to have some rest anyway.

I agree with Ekaterina,

I usually do not check my mailbox during week ends but sometimes it simply happens. And if the message is urgent I then may reply.
Usually, if I'm working during week ends I do not check regularly my mailbox ...

Ciao!
Marta

Yetta J Bogarde  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2012)
English to Danish
+ ...
Yes, I do Apr 10, 2013

I don't mind. And many of my clients (agencies) seem to be working, too.

DianeGM  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:30
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Yes ... I do Apr 10, 2013

I reply to all emails, work-related and private whenever I get the chance - also at the weekend!

Chun Un  Identity Verified
Macau
Member (2007)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Only if it's urgent... Apr 10, 2013

otherwise I would mark it and deal with it on Monday.

Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
German to English
Yes, Apr 10, 2013

but only if I am actually working. If I am not working, then I do not sit in front of my computer, I am faaaar away from it doing other things.

neilmac  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes Apr 10, 2013

If I see a work-related e-mail, I always reply to it. I claim to provide 24/7 availability, so I'd be silly if I didn't.

PS: What's so special about weekends anyway? The shops are always too busy, so you have to queue. Same goes for cinemas, restaurants, bars, etc. I much prefer doing these kind of things during the week...

[Edited at 2013-04-10 09:58 GMT]

[Edited at 2013-04-10 09:58 GMT]

Enrico Zoffoli  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2013)
German to Italian
+ ...
Yes Apr 10, 2013

I have a handful of trusted clients. If they contact me, that means they're in a hurry and I'm normally happy to help.

Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
I try to keep at least one day a week computer-free Apr 10, 2013

- and that means mail-free too.

However, I'm a bit of an addict, and I answer private mails at the weekends, so if the odd job-related one ticks in, it MAY get answered anyway.

It depends.
I have one client who mails in the evenings, late for UK time, which means it is an hour later here. As a matter of principle I try to ignore the ones that come really late, until next morning. Then I send a 'sorry not to have answered earlier' and turn down the job! This client is not to be deterred...

They have a nasty habit of sending a rushed job when my computer has gone into a coma on Fridays for its weekly scan and backup. Then I get an 'out of office' reply to my mail when I say sorry, delivery Tuesday is possible, but not Monday morning...

At 7 pm their time, 8 pm ours, I have KNOCKED OFF FOR THE WEEKEND.
Friday afternoons are often frenetic, and even if I am planning to work at the weekend, I avoid working on Friday evenings.

I don't provide service 24/7. I am quite flexible if asked nicely in business hours, but I also have a life, and relatives tend to be most available at weekends.

David Wright  Identity Verified
Austria
German to English
+ ...
only if I'm desperate for work! Apr 10, 2013

But there is only one client who actually sends emails at weekends and they don't expect an answer til monday anyway.

Enrica Brancaleoni  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Italian
+ ...
Yes ... but it depends Apr 10, 2013

It depends especially on the client. I have a number of trusted clients who resort to me for urgent projects. We both know that and I am happy to reply asap when they are in need.

Still, there are some clients, maybe "new" to the business, who fail to understand the basics of politeness and organisation of workload. For example, when I receive a file on Sunday morning and see that the file was last saved on Friday afternoon, I don't buy it that it is urgent and reply on Monday, 9am

Melanie Maiwald-Meylahn  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2012)
English to German
+ ...
Yes Apr 10, 2013

I normally check my emails on weekends as well. I often check them on my cell phone, but I really don't like to write emails on my phone. So, I normally only answer when I am back on my computer, which might take a while on weekends when I am out and about.

Of course, I would answer from my cell phone in case of an emergency. But I haven't had such an emergency so far and most of my clients don't send emails on weekends anyway.

Steve Kerry  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:30
German to English
Yes but... Apr 10, 2013

... I consider that response is optional at the weekend.

If it was a regular client I would certainly reply, if only tell them to wait until Monday! If it was a "trawling" job offer I wouldn't bother.

Steve K.

Teresa Borges
Portugal
Local time: 15:30
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
It depends Apr 10, 2013

I do check my email during the weekend. If I answer or not to an email (urgent ot not) depends on who is the sender as most of my clients don't send emails on weekends anyway...

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you reply to work-related emails during the weekend?

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search