Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: In your opinion, what is the perfect sized translation job?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Mariela Diaz-Butler
Mariela Diaz-Butler
United States
Local time: 09:33
English to Spanish
+ ...
5000 Apr 16, 2013

I love large projects of upwards of 60K words. However, the problem is that with such large projects, cash flow suffers a bit (unless you have some sort of agreement to get paid in installments). With projects between 5K and 8K, you get a decent sized project, and get a more steady cash flow.

Rebecca Garber
Rebecca Garber  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:33
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
Other Apr 16, 2013

As long as the deadline fits the length and complexity of the project.
I get everything from diplomas to books, so it's all deadline dependent.
The diplomas do have the advantage of a minimum charge, and repeated universities, but I do like the books.

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:33
French to English
Cash flow Apr 16, 2013

Mariela Diaz-Butler wrote:

I love large projects of upwards of 60K words. However, the problem is that with such large projects, cash flow suffers a bit (unless you have some sort of agreement to get paid in installments). With projects between 5K and 8K, you get a decent sized project, and get a more steady cash flow.

On something this size, I would automatically be asking for 30% upfront, balance within 30 days of final invoice. On monster projects, 50K upwards, or even 20K + depending on the client, it would be payment in installments.

All this agreed, dated and signed of course. I mean, it really is hell having to wait for big money to come in. The advantage is that it's one repeated unit of effort to obtain income from one source. Repeated units of effort with multiple sources for small amounts is bad news. However, when the big guy pays late, you tend to get hit hard.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 14:33
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Ditto! Apr 16, 2013

Terry Richards wrote:

The perfect sized translation job is whatever my customer needs and is willing to pay for.

Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 19:03
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
mid-size jobs are best Apr 16, 2013

While I like the look of money like everyone else, I also find that very large jobs (5,000 or more) prove to be tiresome.

I like those jobs which I can finish at one sitting, at least the first round of raw translation. I then usually take a break and come back to it for the final editing and polishing up the loose ends.

That is why I find jobs in the 1500 to 2500 words range most comfortable. They bring in a reasonable amount of money and at the same time don't pin you
... See more
While I like the look of money like everyone else, I also find that very large jobs (5,000 or more) prove to be tiresome.

I like those jobs which I can finish at one sitting, at least the first round of raw translation. I then usually take a break and come back to it for the final editing and polishing up the loose ends.

That is why I find jobs in the 1500 to 2500 words range most comfortable. They bring in a reasonable amount of money and at the same time don't pin you down to the computer for extended periods of time.
Collapse

Szymon Metkowski
Szymon Metkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
German to Polish
+ ...
5K - 10K Apr 16, 2013

Big enougt to issue an invoice right away, small enough to finish it in about 2-3 days. Best for planning and to keep many clients. Of course it is always good to have a big long term job for the time in between rush assignments.

Hege Jakobsen Lepri
Hege Jakobsen Lepri  Identity Verified
Norway
Member (2002)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Genereally my projects are 10,000 - 50,000 words Apr 16, 2013

but I much prefer it when I'm between large projects and get smaller assignments that take me a couple of days to finish. Not just because of the size, but also because the subject matter is different for smaller projects.

Triston Goodwin
Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:33
Spanish to English
+ ...
No preference Apr 16, 2013

I have a bad habit of procrastinating, so I prefer smaller projects, but there are some really big projects that I loved and others that I still want.

Helen Hagon
Helen Hagon  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:33
Member (2011)
Russian to English
+ ...
As big as possible... Apr 16, 2013

...for the same reasons Julian has already described (apart from the Japanese characters part, as I work mainly from Russian into English). Also, the bigger the project, the longer I can relax without panicking where the next job is going to come from.

Emin Arı
Emin Arı  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 16:33
English to Turkish
+ ...
regular work with same content Apr 17, 2013

the best for me is regular work with same content. Monthly workload of apprx. 10.000 words is fine because after reaching peak of your learning curve, you have complete control and fast pace over your translation.

After a while big works become much easier, even you can feel your fingers do translate not your brain. This will result in better income.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: In your opinion, what is the perfect sized translation job?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »