Poll: Do you have a specific plan or set of goals for your freelance business?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
Local time: 00:32
SITE STAFF
Apr 25, 2013

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you have a specific plan or set of goals for your freelance business?".

This poll was originally submitted by Lucas Vogt. View the poll results »

Direct link Reply with quote

Chris S  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Swedish to English
+ ...
Kind of... Apr 25, 2013

Make more money in less time from more interesting work

neilmac  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 09:32
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes Apr 25, 2013

To keep going and be able to pay my rent/bills/taxes/way.

Teresa Borges
Portugal
Local time: 08:32
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Yes! Apr 25, 2013

To keep on going and growing without major hiccups...

Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 17:32
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Yes Apr 25, 2013

All of the above said by Chris, neilmac and Teresa bundled into a nice big package.

And to get a few credentials and certifications to tack onto my name on my business card to prove that I am a real, bona fide translator and be freed from the aggravation of having to do "trial translations" or "trial by fire" as I call them.

Small edit + edit

[Edited at 2013-04-25 11:26 GMT]

Maria Isabel Pazos Gómez  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
German to Spanish
+ ...
Best clientes Apr 25, 2013

Hi there,

My goal is having a good relation to my clients, this makes life easier. After that, logically a good pricing and comfortable working space. Every year I create a master plan, so at the end of the year I could appreciate what I achieved!

Have a nice working day and never forget that there is only one limit: your own dreams

Mabel

Wolfgang Vogt  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Business Plan Apr 25, 2013

Shouldn't we all have something like a business plan?

It makes work a bit easier when you know which direction you are heading. In 20 years my plan could likely be to find a place where to retire, but at least at this point of my career I feel better with a business plan.

Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Not exactly a plan per se Apr 25, 2013

Every day my "wish list" includes a good relationship with my clients, lots of work at good rates, so that I can pay my bills and have that certain little extra, and perhaps find a new client or two.

dasein_wm  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
Italian to English
+ ...
Suppot my family Apr 25, 2013

...and stay out of the rat race.
So far, so good.

Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:32
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yeup! Apr 25, 2013

I'm a business nut.

I think it helps me keep focused on how I want to grow and expand. My little business has grown so much since I started, and I love being able to see how, when and why it changed.

Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:32
German to English
+ ...
Hey! Apr 25, 2013

Chris S wrote:

Make more money in less time from more interesting work

That's mine, too

Jussi Rosti  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 10:32
Member (2005)
English to Finnish
+ ...
12 month plan Apr 26, 2013

I do have a plan, but it's not very long, just for 1 year.

In practice, I have a vision (about 1.5 pages) where I want to be in 12 months. Then I have a goals breakdown in Excel (about 15 different, measurable goals, related to business indicators, learning objects, client relations). The goals are vertically in the Excel, so the horizontal axis is the time - you guessed it - 12 columns for 12 months. So I have a vision, and the monthly steps to realise it. In every month, I review the plan and elaborate the next month to weekly level. On every Monday, I check the weekly goals and plan them for the week.

I have noticed that without a plan, my business is just drifting. After starting to have this kind of strategic plan and sticking to its implementation, I have seen much quicker and focused progress.

I certainly do have dreams and ideas for longer term, but in current hectic business environment, I don't feel it's very productive to plan for longer than one year. The long-term objectives are of course input to my 12-months master plan.

David Friemann, MA  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
my,my... Apr 26, 2013

Jussi Rosti wrote:

I do have a plan, but it's not very long, just for 1 year.

In practice, I have a vision (about 1.5 pages) where I want to be in 12 months. Then I have a goals breakdown in Excel (about 15 different, measurable goals, related to business indicators, learning objects, client relations). The goals are vertically in the Excel, so the horizontal axis is the time - you guessed it - 12 columns for 12 months. So I have a vision, and the monthly steps to realise it. In every month, I review the plan and elaborate the next month to weekly level. On every Monday, I check the weekly goals and plan them for the week.

I have noticed that without a plan, my business is just drifting. After starting to have this kind of strategic plan and sticking to its implementation, I have seen much quicker and focused progress.

I certainly do have dreams and ideas for longer term, but in current hectic business environment, I don't feel it's very productive to plan for longer than one year. The long-term objectives are of course input to my 12-months master plan.

Jussi, how do you find the time to do actual work? No, but seriously, such a detailed plan, it's impressive. I'll have to try that, it might do wonders on a low-motivation day. Thanks!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you have a specific plan or set of goals for your freelance business?

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search