https://www.proz.com/forum/poll_discussion/250099-poll_can_your_clients_reach_you_when_youre_on_holiday.html

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Can your clients reach you when you're on holiday?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
May 31, 2013

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Can your clients reach you when you're on holiday?".

This poll was originally submitted by Zsanett Rozendaal-Pandur. View the poll results »

Mary Worby
Mary Worby  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:39
German to English
+ ...
Yes May 31, 2013

I have my mobile phone (and e-mail) with me at all times. Most clients know when I'm on holiday but it's useful to be able to line work up for when I get back, otherwise I end up twiddling my thumbs on my return.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Likewise! May 31, 2013

Mary Worby wrote:

I have my mobile phone (and e-mail) with me at all times. Most clients know when I'm on holiday but it's useful to be able to line work up for when I get back, otherwise I end up twiddling my thumbs on my return.

Tatty
Tatty  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:39
Spanish to English
+ ...
Completely unavailable May 31, 2013

I'm on holiday, I don't even want to hear the word translation.

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 02:39
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Yes, but ... May 31, 2013

only to accept advance orders for when I get back to work.

I am not going to sit on a beach in Bali and think about manuals while gazing at beautiful woman and sunsets.

Russell Jones
Russell Jones  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Italian to English
Other May 31, 2013

They can send me an e-mail.
Whether I reply is another matter!

Gianluca Marras
Gianluca Marras  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
holiday is holiday May 31, 2013

When I am on holiday I do not work.
My clients know it in advance, and I have no chance to check my availability when I do not have my computer with me.
So they can call me if they want, but the answer is: please send the job, and I'll let you know when I am back.

This never happens, cause before leaving, I write an email telling them:

Please feel free to send any job during my holiday, kindly take into account that I will be ready to start any new translati
... See more
When I am on holiday I do not work.
My clients know it in advance, and I have no chance to check my availability when I do not have my computer with me.
So they can call me if they want, but the answer is: please send the job, and I'll let you know when I am back.

This never happens, cause before leaving, I write an email telling them:

Please feel free to send any job during my holiday, kindly take into account that I will be ready to start any new translation on.... (Date). I will confirm my availability for any projects received as soon as I come back.

Also, when I visit my family (which is a sort of part-time holiday), I usually work, so although they know I am on holiday, I tell them to feel free to contact me, but I specify that during that period I am not working full-time.
Collapse

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other May 31, 2013

Only my most favoured. My pretty pretties. My preciouses.

Anyone can send me an email, but I might go for a few days without checking my inbox or switching on my phone on the rare occasions that I'm on "holiday".

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:39
English to Spanish
+ ...
I'm reachable the 365 days of the year May 31, 2013

But, what's a holiday? Didn't that disappear with the 2007 bank-fueled recession?

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Holiday? May 31, 2013

There's really no way for me to answer this question. I can't even remember when I had the last vacation/holiday. So I guess this means I've been available 365 1/4 days a year.

Allison Wright (X)
Allison Wright (X)  Identity Verified
Portugal
Other May 31, 2013

Yes, I have my mobile with me,
To save them the cost of a phone call, however, the response is as follows:

Will I work during the holiday dates I have already given them before departure? - No.

Confirming availability in advance with regular clients does have its merits though.

Marlene Blanshay
Marlene Blanshay  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
it depends May 31, 2013

If i'm in town and it's a holiday here but not elsewhere, I'll accept emails or some jobs. During Xmas I don't mind working at all since the weather is often horrible and there isn't much to do if you're not into the whole holiday thing. If I go away, no! the whole point is to get AWAY!

Filipa Plant dos Santos
Filipa Plant dos Santos  Identity Verified
Portugal
Portuguese to English
I quite understand..... May 31, 2013

neilmac wrote:

I too have a precious. And very grateful I am too.......... so work doesn't stop in the holidays!!!

Actually, I'm not too good at holidays and find sitting at the computer doing some peaceful work is more of a holiday than supervising children or cooking endless "holiday" meals!!

It's just me, isn't it. ???

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Gollum May 31, 2013

neilmac wrote:

Anyone can send me an email, but I might go for a few days without checking my inbox or switching on my phone on the rare occasions that I'm on "holiday".

“My precious. We wants them.”

Max Nuijens
Max Nuijens  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
Depends on the holiday May 31, 2013

During beach holidays if I stay in a hotel with wi-fi -- sure. My clients can reach me and I might even translate or proofread a page or two if it is important.

This August I will spend two weeks in Murmansk Oblast -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murmansk_Oblast - like the previous two years, camping in the wilderness with a group of friends. Where we go, there is no electri
... See more
During beach holidays if I stay in a hotel with wi-fi -- sure. My clients can reach me and I might even translate or proofread a page or two if it is important.

This August I will spend two weeks in Murmansk Oblast -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murmansk_Oblast - like the previous two years, camping in the wilderness with a group of friends. Where we go, there is no electricity, no mobile telephone connection. We won't see a soul until we reach our destination: a cabin on the shore of a lake with two old women, who will nourish those surviving back to life and who will look after our wounds, applying traditional medicine.

I imagine that someday technology will make it easier to keep contact with my clients (or with my wife). But is is not something I look forward to. Once a year I need a break.

[Edited at 2013-05-31 17:16 GMT]

[Edited at 2013-05-31 17:19 GMT]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Can your clients reach you when you're on holiday?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »