Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Are you the main breadwinner in your home?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff

ProZ.com Staff
Local time: 02:49
SITE STAFF
Jun 1, 2013

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Are you the main breadwinner in your home?".

View the poll results »

Direct link Reply with quote

Tim Drayton  Identity Verified
Cyprus
Local time: 12:49
Turkish to English
+ ...
Yes Jun 1, 2013

There is just me (and two cats!).

Gianluca Marras  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 11:49
Member (2008)
English to Italian
old question Jun 1, 2013

this question comes up every now and then.
Anyway, answer is yes, my wife works but here salary covers only a minimum part of our family needs (someone says because her salary covers a lot of her private needs just joking)

Carmen Grabs
Germany
Member (2012)
English to German
+ ...
I am the only one Jun 1, 2013

unless I asked my horse or my dog to go to work for me instead

Teresa Borges
Portugal
Local time: 10:49
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Yes Jun 1, 2013

I was the main, and only, breadwinner for 30 years+ when my children were growing up. Now that they have (slowly) left the nest one by one I still am…

Texte Style
French to English
I'm lucky Jun 1, 2013

I'm lucky because the answer is no.

This means I don't have to break my back and I can refuse anything that doesn't appeal to me, I don't ever have to do a translation I don't feel like doing.

Before we had the kids I earned more than my partner, but then I worked very little while they were small. I actually started working in translation while at home with the kids, and was able to acquire experience gently.

I am comfortable knowing that if I suddenly needed to earn more, it would be perfectly feasible since I'm always turning stuff down

Marlene Blanshay  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 05:49
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
yes just me Jun 1, 2013

I'm single with no kids, so yep, it's just me.

Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
The one and only :) Jun 1, 2013

Perhaps this could be boosted by saying: the bread is earned by.. I, me, and myself. Just kidding (aside from the incorrect gramma.)

Allison Wright  Identity Verified
Portugal
German to English
+ ...
Yes Jun 1, 2013

I have been the only breadwinner for the last 21 years.
I support one other adult - and, more recently, the Portuguese fiscus, it seems.

Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 16:19
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
The only Jun 1, 2013

I am the sole breadwinner for my family of four. My wife had a job, but the quit it once my freelance career took off and she gained the confidence that I would manage to keep the wolf off the door on my own steam.

But indirectly she contributes by being the sheet anchor of the family. Without her, I would not be able to spent so much time on the job and would get bogged down with household chores.

Jose Arnoldo Rodriguez-Carrington  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 04:49
English to Spanish
+ ...
Same here Jun 1, 2013

Balasubramaniam L. wrote:

I am the sole breadwinner for my family of four. My wife had a job, but the quit it once my freelance career took off and she gained the confidence that I would manage to keep the wolf off the door on my own steam.

But indirectly she contributes by being the sheet anchor of the family. Without her, I would not be able to spent so much time on the job and would get bogged down with household chores.

I am the only breadwinner now that our children are grown and gone and only my wife and I remain a t home, but as Balasubramaniam wrote, without her hard work in other fields I would not be able to spend so much time translating.

Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
To paraphrase Jose Arnoldo Rodriguez-Carrington: Jun 1, 2013

Balasubramaniam L. wrote:

I am the main breadwinner now that our children are grown and gone and only my husband and I remain at home, but as Balasubramaniam wrote, without his hard work in other fields I would not be able to spend so much time translating.

Said husband retired at the grand old age of 47, but I labour on while he does all the chores
that a household needs: shopping, cooking, cleaning the loo...
Actually, I need to do a bit more now as he's started doing everything a pro musician does (concerts etc), without being paid. I suppose this is what retirement is all about: doing what you love and to hell with the money.

Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:49
Spanish to English
+ ...
No Jun 1, 2013

My wife and I work together, though I focus more on translation and she is now working more on her photography career. We have a joint project that we are working on now that we're really excited about.

I promised her before we got married (just last year) that we would be millionaires, so far I haven't kept that promise, but I think we're just as happy enjoying the freedom that we thought could only come with large piles of money.

That and I think we can still be millionaires..

Steve Kerry  Identity Verified
German to English
Bread? Jun 1, 2013

I prefer the term "Steak and Scotch Winner" myself...

Steve K.

Mary Worby  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
other Jun 1, 2013

I answered other because we pretty much break even. We're never quite sure who will win 'Employee of the Month'!

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Are you the main breadwinner in your home?

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search