Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Are you the main breadwinner in your home?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
Local time: 06:40
SITE STAFF
Jun 1, 2013

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Are you the main breadwinner in your home?".

View the poll results »

Direct link Reply with quote

Tim Drayton  Identity Verified
Cyprus
Local time: 16:40
Turkish to English
+ ...
Yes Jun 1, 2013

There is just me (and two cats!).

Gianluca Marras  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 15:40
Member (2008)
English to Italian
old question Jun 1, 2013

this question comes up every now and then.
Anyway, answer is yes, my wife works but here salary covers only a minimum part of our family needs (someone says because her salary covers a lot of her private needs just joking)

Carmen Grabs
Germany
Member (2012)
English to German
+ ...
I am the only one Jun 1, 2013

unless I asked my horse or my dog to go to work for me instead

Teresa Borges
Portugal
Local time: 14:40
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Yes Jun 1, 2013

I was the main, and only, breadwinner for 30 years+ when my children were growing up. Now that they have (slowly) left the nest one by one I still am…

Texte Style
French to English
I'm lucky Jun 1, 2013

I'm lucky because the answer is no.

This means I don't have to break my back and I can refuse anything that doesn't appeal to me, I don't ever have to do a translation I don't feel like doing.

Before we had the kids I earned more than my partner, but then I worked very little while they were small. I actually started working in translation while at home with the kids, and was able to acquire experience gently.

I am comfortable knowing that if I suddenly needed to earn more, it would be perfectly feasible since I'm always turning stuff down

Marlene Blanshay  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 09:40
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
yes just me Jun 1, 2013

I'm single with no kids, so yep, it's just me.

Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
The one and only :) Jun 1, 2013

Perhaps this could be boosted by saying: the bread is earned by.. I, me, and myself. Just kidding (aside from the incorrect gramma.)

Allison Wright  Identity Verified
Portugal
German to English
+ ...
Yes Jun 1, 2013

I have been the only breadwinner for the last 21 years.
I support one other adult - and, more recently, the Portuguese fiscus, it seems.

Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 19:10
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
The only Jun 1, 2013

I am the sole breadwinner for my family of four. My wife had a job, but the quit it once my freelance career took off and she gained the confidence that I would manage to keep the wolf off the door on my own steam.

But indirectly she contributes by being the sheet anchor of the family. Without her, I would not be able to spent so much time on the job and would get bogged down with household chores.

Jose Arnoldo Rodriguez-Carrington  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 08:40
English to Spanish
+ ...
Same here Jun 1, 2013

Balasubramaniam L. wrote:

I am the sole breadwinner for my family of four. My wife had a job, but the quit it once my freelance career took off and she gained the confidence that I would manage to keep the wolf off the door on my own steam.

But indirectly she contributes by being the sheet anchor of the family. Without her, I would not be able to spent so much time on the job and would get bogged down with household chores.

I am the only breadwinner now that our children are grown and gone and only my wife and I remain a t home, but as Balasubramaniam wrote, without her hard work in other fields I would not be able to spend so much time translating.

Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
To paraphrase Jose Arnoldo Rodriguez-Carrington: Jun 1, 2013

Balasubramaniam L. wrote:

I am the main breadwinner now that our children are grown and gone and only my husband and I remain at home, but as Balasubramaniam wrote, without his hard work in other fields I would not be able to spend so much time translating.

Said husband retired at the grand old age of 47, but I labour on while he does all the chores
that a household needs: shopping, cooking, cleaning the loo...
Actually, I need to do a bit more now as he's started doing everything a pro musician does (concerts etc), without being paid. I suppose this is what retirement is all about: doing what you love and to hell with the money.

Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:40
Spanish to English
+ ...
No Jun 1, 2013

My wife and I work together, though I focus more on translation and she is now working more on her photography career. We have a joint project that we are working on now that we're really excited about.

I promised her before we got married (just last year) that we would be millionaires, so far I haven't kept that promise, but I think we're just as happy enjoying the freedom that we thought could only come with large piles of money.

That and I think we can still be millionaires..

Steve Kerry  Identity Verified
German to English
Bread? Jun 1, 2013

I prefer the term "Steak and Scotch Winner" myself...

Steve K.

Mary Worby  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
other Jun 1, 2013

I answered other because we pretty much break even. We're never quite sure who will win 'Employee of the Month'!

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Are you the main breadwinner in your home?

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search