Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: To find a word when specific knowledge and research isn’t enough, I fall back on:
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Jun 8, 2013

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "To find a word when specific knowledge and research isn’t enough, I fall back on:".

View the poll results »

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 01:36
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Answer choices Jun 8, 2013

If "intuition" and "guessing" were grouped together
and
"logic" and "common sense" were also grouped together

then there would be room for the missing options:
- ask the client
- ask a subject expert / ask on a terminology forum

Claire Cox
Claire Cox
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:36
French to English
+ ...
Quite! Jun 8, 2013

Emma Goldsmith wrote:

and

- ask the client

My thoughts entirely....

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Other! Jun 8, 2013

Depends on the subject, but simply "guessing" should not be an option! As Emma says,

- ask the client
- ask a subject expert
- ask on a terminology forum

if all this fails (or I am not convinced), as a very last resource, I have, fortunately, access to a group of terminologists...

Ty Kendall
Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Hebrew to English
Logic Jun 8, 2013

It's the Vulcan way. Live long and prosper folks!

Yetta Jensen Bogarde
Yetta Jensen Bogarde  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2012)
English to Danish
+ ...
I go with Emma and Claire Jun 8, 2013

...because whose logic?

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Admit you're baffled Jun 8, 2013

Agree with Emma, but if all the suggested methods fail, you may just have to put something like "[untraced word]" plus a translator's note with your thoughts about it. Absolutely the last resort, of course.

jacana54 (X)
jacana54 (X)  Identity Verified
Uruguay
English to Spanish
+ ...
Absolutely Jun 8, 2013

Emma Goldsmith wrote:

and

- ask the client

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
French to English
Other Jun 8, 2013

I mean, isn't that what ProZ is for, by the way? If it's a field I know about (which it should be, it generally is, otherwise I have no business translating a text on the subject), then I generally also have people I can contact in the field. In that case I put the question to them and we talk about it. There is the obvious "ask the client" reflex too.

However, the above are not always possible, and sometimes a text in a field we are familiar with has a passage here or there about
... See more
I mean, isn't that what ProZ is for, by the way? If it's a field I know about (which it should be, it generally is, otherwise I have no business translating a text on the subject), then I generally also have people I can contact in the field. In that case I put the question to them and we talk about it. There is the obvious "ask the client" reflex too.

However, the above are not always possible, and sometimes a text in a field we are familiar with has a passage here or there about something new to me. Thank goodness that happens actually, otherwise I'd stagnate! So, when all else fails, I throw it into the ProZ ballpark and see what brainstorming it here can come up with.
Collapse

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 08:36
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Other -- Talk to the author Jun 8, 2013

If I have the chance.

If I have exhausted all my other channels and resources. I will tell the customer what I think it should be under the circumstances and let them sort it out.

Even with 20+ years experience in some fields, I am flummoxed sometimes.

@Ty
Yes. if all else fails, try Vulcan mind melds and get to grips with the source of the problem.

Small edits

[
... See more
If I have the chance.

If I have exhausted all my other channels and resources. I will tell the customer what I think it should be under the circumstances and let them sort it out.

Even with 20+ years experience in some fields, I am flummoxed sometimes.

@Ty
Yes. if all else fails, try Vulcan mind melds and get to grips with the source of the problem.

Small edits

[Edited at 2013-06-08 14:06 GMT]

[Edited at 2013-06-08 14:10 GMT]

[Edited at 2013-06-09 00:55 GMT]
Collapse

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:36
English to Spanish
+ ...
Other: weigh the context Jun 8, 2013

We don't translate words but meanings, which can only be given by context, not just individual words or morphemes.

Consider this example: ESD-preventive wristband. In Spanish it's known simply as antistatic wristband, no acronym or additional words.

Many texts in English, especially written by software engineers and technical writers in the IT industry, are obstreperously redundant. There's always a client who cries wolf or hits the ceiling when the translator “forgot
... See more
We don't translate words but meanings, which can only be given by context, not just individual words or morphemes.

Consider this example: ESD-preventive wristband. In Spanish it's known simply as antistatic wristband, no acronym or additional words.

Many texts in English, especially written by software engineers and technical writers in the IT industry, are obstreperously redundant. There's always a client who cries wolf or hits the ceiling when the translator “forgot” to translate a word.

Whoever posted this poll question is not thinking like a translator.
Collapse

Chun Un
Chun Un  Identity Verified
Macau
Member (2007)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Intuition... Jun 8, 2013

that's the one thing I trust the most.

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Unfortunately guessing plays a huge role on Kudoz Jun 8, 2013

Nikki Scott-Despaigne wrote:

However, the above are not always possible, and sometimes a text in a field we are familiar with has a passage here or there about something new to me. Thank goodness that happens actually, otherwise I'd stagnate! So, when all else fails, I throw it into the ProZ ballpark and see what brainstorming it here can come up with.

Using Kudoz is (or was in any case) a good idea, but nowadays, posting a term on Kudoz is often a matter of simply allowing others to do your guessing for you. People strut and bluff, post 100% confidence and try every trick in the book to 'sell' their answer, even if it's completely wrong and they are answering in a field and/or language they don't master. What's worse, in a couple of my language pairs, the newest trend is to agree with anything posted by a pal, right or wrong.

Before I ask people I trust and know they won't just pull an answer out of the air, I read as much as possible about the term in the source language and try to see if I can come up with a logical translation in English. If that doesn't work out, then I ask reliable translators. And if they too are stumped, then I ask the client or if it's one of those 'don't bother me' agencies, I leave a translator's note.

[Edited at 2013-06-08 15:16 GMT]

Enrico Zoffoli
Enrico Zoffoli  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2013)
German to Italian
+ ...
Logic Jun 8, 2013

Logic, of course... I'm a philosopher, that's what I've been trained to do

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 17:36
Dutch to English
+ ...
Logic before research Jun 8, 2013

I use logic before research: what does logic tells me it may mean and can I find that or a related term in the target language. And when all else fails I post a Kudoz question. I know whose answers I can trust.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: To find a word when specific knowledge and research isn’t enough, I fall back on:

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »