Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
Poll: What makes you choose one font over another?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
Local time: 12:17
SITE STAFF
Jun 13, 2013

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "What makes you choose one font over another?".

This poll was originally submitted by Noni Gilbert. View the poll results »

Direct link Reply with quote

Mary Worby  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:17
German to English
+ ...
Ease of reading Jun 13, 2013

I've entered ease of reading but in reality, I almost never choose a font as I use the font in the original document or the default font in Word. Any font choices are pretty much for personal use only ...

neilmac  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 21:17
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other Jun 13, 2013

Sometimes it's simply down to personal preference and on other occasions other factors such as spacing might have an influence, for example I like Tahoma and Calibri, but the former takes up considerably more space (or seems to, I've never actually measured it).

When I was doing pub quizzes, I used Comic Sans Serif for the question/answer sheets and was surprised to find a lot of people actively dislike this font, apparently because it was "invented" by Microsoft. Nowt as queer as folk...

Noni Gilbert
Spain
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Short memory Jun 13, 2013

I can't even remember lodging this poll! SO much for my memory.

I actively dislike some fonts but I think it's because of overexposure, and my 11 year-old-son is very fussy. But I will be interested to hear other people's reasons for preferences.

Edited to add further comment.

The people around me seem to favour Calibri, now it is standard on Windows. Having to download a font diminishes the likelihood of using it. Those people are either working on screen or printing out in Word format, so no great typesetting issues.

Sticking to the client's use seems to be a matter of courtesy amongst other things, although one sometimes wonders over their choice of font.

[Edited at 2013-06-13 09:33 GMT]

Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:17
English to German
+ ...
For neilmac Jun 13, 2013

neilmac wrote:
When I was doing pub quizzes, I used Comic Sans Serif for the question/answer sheets and was surprised to find a lot of people actively dislike this font, apparently because it was "invented" by Microsoft. Nowt as queer as folk...

Personally I like Times New Roman and Arial because they easy to read, and I avoid fancy fonts to be compatible with my European clients. Certain source texts however trigger this particular urge to send the translation back in Chinese characters or Gothic Script.

Odette Jonkers  Identity Verified
Netherlands
French to Dutch
+ ...
Cheap Jun 13, 2013

I try to use Times New Roman, especially when I need to print a document; it is said to be the cheapest for printing (less ink). I know, I know, I'm Dutch...

Helen Hagon  Identity Verified
Member (2011)
Russian to English
+ ...
Same as source document Jun 13, 2013

When translating, I usually try to use the same font as the source document. The same applies for formatting, as I endeavour to make the translation resemble the original as much as possible. If I have to choose, though, I generally opt for Arial or Times New Roman as they are easy to read and the most commonly used in company style guides etc., as well as being compatible with the Cyrillic alphabet.

Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 04:17
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Unfussy fonts Jun 13, 2013

And enlarged to about 14 or 16pt on screen so that they are very legible with about 40 cm between my nose and the screen.
I don't want to ruin my eyes, at least beyond their very poor present state.

Small edit

[Edited at 2013-06-13 12:58 GMT]

Marjolein Snippe  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2012)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Elegance Jun 13, 2013

For translation purposes, I tend to stick to the client's wishes or I use the original font, if possible.

For personal use, the last time I actually searched for a font I liked was when I was writing my thesis. A few months before sending it off to the printing office, I moved to a different country where panic struck - the font I had chosen was not on my new computer, which meant the whole lay-out was now messed up! Fortunately a friend and former colleague still had access to my old computer and sent me the font. Panic over, thesis sent off

Steve Kerry  Identity Verified
German to English
Times or Arial Jun 13, 2013

Times New Roman or Arial for me - simply because they are unfussy and easy to read. My current default is Arial 11. And for those nadgery little footers, Arial Narrow in 8 or 9 pitch is a lifesaver!

Steve K.

Yetta J Bogarde  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2012)
English to Danish
+ ...
Most of the time adhering to the source Jun 13, 2013

However, my own default font is Verdana 10 and I also like Tahoma and a few others.
Well, yes I like to be creative and like working in InDesign.

Nicola Wood  Identity Verified
Austria
Member (2010)
German to English
Ditto Jun 13, 2013

As almost everyone else has said, I stick to the original font whenever possible in translations. For personal use, it often depends on the particular purpose or intended audience, and I tend to go through phases of preferring one font for a while, and then (probably as a result of overuse) finding I really don't like that so much now and changing to another.

Mario Chavez  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:17
English to Spanish
+ ...
Good point Jun 13, 2013

Julian Holmes wrote:

And enlarged to about 14 or 16pt on screen so that they are very legible with about 40 cm between my nose and the screen.

Small edit

[Edited at 2013-06-13 12:55 GMT]

That's some practical advice right there, Julian.

Even before wearing bifocals, I set my Outlook email fonts to 14 pts for the same reason. All outgoing emails from me have that size.

Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 04:17
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Thanks Mario Jun 13, 2013

Mario Chavez wrote:

Julian Holmes wrote:

Small edit

[Edited at 2013-06-13 12:55 GMT]

That's some practical advice right there, Julian.

Even before wearing bifocals, I set my Outlook email fonts to 14 pts for the same reason. All outgoing emails from me have that size.

If the specified font for a particular job is Arial Light 8pt, you can bet your bottom dollar that you're going to be ruining your eyes or getting severe eye strain in less than 30 minutes.

You can always change fonts back to the customers' required font, if they have one, at the end of the project after your translation and final proof is finished. No big deal and it saves on frequent visits to the eye doctor.

Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Adhering to the source font Jun 13, 2013

Since I usually translate in a copy of the file, the font in use is the same one as in the original document.

Personally I primarily use Verdana 11 or 12 pt. The second font, used only for special emails or letters, is Monoscript Corsiva 18 pt.

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: What makes you choose one font over another?

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search