Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Do your translations tend to be longer or shorter after proofreading?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff

ProZ.com Staff
Local time: 18:51
SITE STAFF
Jul 4, 2013

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do your translations tend to be longer or shorter after proofreading?".

View the poll results »

DianeGM  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:51
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
A little bit shorter Jul 4, 2013

I find I can usually express what's needed a little more concisely

Tim Drayton  Identity Verified
Cyprus
Local time: 04:51
Turkish to English
+ ...
shorter Jul 4, 2013

Expressing something better usually entails expressing it more concisely.

Teresa Borges
Portugal
Local time: 02:51
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Shorter Jul 4, 2013

Like Diane and Tim, after proofreading one hopes that things are more concise and clear...

Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:51
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
About the same Jul 4, 2013

When I translate, I'm pretty much finished with how I want to express things. Proofreading for me is about catching errors.

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 03:51
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Proofreading or editing? Jul 4, 2013

My translations are the same after proofreading. As Muriel says, proofreading is just for catching errors.
My translations tend to be a bit shorter after editing, which is when you improve the style and make things more concise and clear, as others have mentioned.

Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...

A lot of my editing consists of rearranging the clauses in a sentence.

(And sometimes rearranging them back again...)

I aim to get it right first time, so that it doesn't need a lot of editing, especially as many of my jobs are small and deadlines are short, even if they are not tight. Then if necessary I can deliver after a quick proofreading.

But of course, nothing in this world is perfect... and editing after a break usually means a clear improvement.

Oliver Lawrence  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
+ ...
Exactly Jul 4, 2013

Emma Goldsmith wrote:

My translations are the same after proofreading. As Muriel says, proofreading is just for catching errors.
My translations tend to be a bit shorter after editing, which is when you improve the style and make things more concise and clear, as others have mentioned.

Steve Kerry  Identity Verified
German to English
Barely noticeable Jul 4, 2013

..but the tendency is to lose four or five words on a 2K job. Just for the record, although the word count from German to English increases by 15% or so, the number of characters tends to remain exactly the same!

Steve K.

Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 10:51
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Snip here, snip there Jul 4, 2013

Any good written text -- whether translated or straight from the heart -- is tight, real tight, to the point, succinct, sweet not mushy. Hmmmm. Niiiiiice

If I "do" anything to what I have translated -- I keep my initial draft sharp, tight (I've been doing this 30+ years) -- it's only minimalist pruning.

Like, Steve K., it's "barely noticeable" -- sweet and sharp. Yessss, the way it shoud be icon_biggrin.gif

BTW
As far as word count/volume goes when translating J>E, expect text to expand or explode by 1.6 to 1.8 times.

Have a nice evening you'll icon_smile.gif

Julian H.

Tatty  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
+ ...
1st draft - done Jul 4, 2013

I like to do my translations in a single draft. So in theory, when I revise them the first time they should already be really close to done. I make very few changes at this stage. Then I print them out to proofread them. My time management is much more effective using this method.

Mario Chavez  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:51
English to Spanish
+ ...
With Track Changes enabled, of course it's longer! Jul 4, 2013

Muriel Vasconcellos wrote:

When I translate, I'm pretty much finished with how I want to express things. Proofreading for me is about catching errors.

Same here, Muriel.

Although I think I'll file this poll question in Mr. Obvious' file cabinet.

This is like asking: is the water wet?

Jose Arnoldo Rodriguez-Carrington  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 20:51
English to Spanish
+ ...
Exactly, too Jul 4, 2013

Oliver Lawrence wrote:

Emma Goldsmith wrote:

I agree completely with Oliver, Emma and Muriel. The question should have been "after editing", not "after proofreading".

Steve Kerry  Identity Verified
German to English
Pedantry Jul 4, 2013

Jose Arnoldo Rodriguez-Carrington wrote:

Oliver Lawrence wrote:

Emma Goldsmith wrote:

I agree completely with Oliver, Emma and Muriel. The question should have been "after editing", not "after proofreading".

Who says pedantry is dead? We all know what was meant by the question.

Steve K.

Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...

At least as far as my own proofreading goes. However, my sentences sometimes become shorter by the time I move on. I rarely do before I'm completely satisfied.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do your translations tend to be longer or shorter after proofreading?

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search