Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: When I really have to concentrate on my work, I...
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff

ProZ.com Staff
Local time: 01:11
SITE STAFF
Jul 6, 2013

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "When I really have to concentrate on my work, I...".

View the poll results »

Teresa Borges
Portugal
Local time: 09:11
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Other Jul 6, 2013

I really have to concentrate on my work almost everyday!!!

Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 17:11
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Combination of the above + other Jul 6, 2013

Do absolutely whatever is necssary to create my own comfortable space, which, like Teresa, I do everyday from morning till whenever

Claire Cox
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Headphones Jul 6, 2013

Put my headphones on and start dictating with Dragon - what else?!

Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:11
English to German
+ ...
Other Jul 6, 2013

Same as Teresa.

The highest peak of concentration occurs when I am checking my own work shortly before delivery. I might turn off any music or background TV, because I read my translations out loud (you should hear me when I do that with a tech manual for some huge machine thing. Even the cat will flee).

I don't turn off email. It might be job-related.

I don't turn off the phone. Yelling at telemarketers is the greatest stress relief ever.

Teresa Borges
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Well, well, me too! Jul 6, 2013

Nicole Schnell wrote:

The highest peak of concentration occurs when I am checking my own work shortly before delivery. I might turn off any music or background TV, because I read my translations out loud (you should hear me when I do that with a tech manual for some huge machine thing. Even the cat will flee).

I don't turn off email. It might be job-related.

I don't turn off the phone. Yelling at telemarketers is the greatest stress relief ever.

I also read my translations out loud and my daughter's dog (I'm her day-carer) always has that surprised look on her face as if asking - has she turned mad or what? And you're quite right: no stress-relief medicine is better than yelling at telemarketers! One should bottle and sell it so others could be blessed...

Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
I simply concentrate Jul 6, 2013

Emails, phone etc can keep coming, my husband can be rehearsing at full blat in the next room (he's a singer/songwriter), but I'll be oblivious to it all. The phone ringing gets a grunt of annoyance, but my husband will pick it up. Only if someone comes to the door does the concentration lapse.

I can't keep up that level of concentration all day, but it is handy to be able to concentrate fully on one thing and ignore everything else.

neilmac  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 10:11
Spanish to English
+ ...
Phone off Jul 6, 2013

And (pax Nicole) although I too enjoy berating cold callers, I sometimes feel a bit guilty afterwards - after all, it's not as if they do it for fun - so I prefer to switch off my phone and avoid all interruptions.

My clients know I prefer to be contacted by email anyway...

Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 13:41
English to Hindi
+ ...
Close the door Jul 6, 2013

I simply shoo everyone out and close the door of my work-area. This also cuts off the sound of the TV blaring in the next room.

I am less bothered about the phone as my phone rarely rings - I am more of an email man.

I need complete silence and lack of any kind of disturbance to work productively.

Tatty  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
+ ...
Always need silence Jul 6, 2013

I always concentrate when I'm working, and I always need to work in silence. Sometimes the neighbours talk too loud and I can here them, so I start reading my text out loud and they get the message and stop talking so loud. You have to get everyone trained if you are going to work from home, even the neighbours if necessary.

David Wright  Identity Verified
Austria
German to English
+ ...
Other Jul 6, 2013

Nothing. I might want to concentrate but I don't want to cut myself off from the rest of teh world.

Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
French to English
Depends on environment Jul 6, 2013

If the noise is not my family, my music, my friends, my phone, my anything, then I can isolate myself from almost anything. If there is an ounce of affective or emotional attachment which makes me vaguely concerned, I need silence and have to cut myself off physically from it to concentrate.
Absolute silence, with a view, makes me highly productive!

[Edited at 2013-07-06 13:50 GMT]

Alena Hrybouskaya  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2010)
English to Russian
+ ...
other Jul 6, 2013

When I work I always need concentration so I just concentrate. It comes naturally.

Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Combination plus Jul 6, 2013

I'll do whatever is necessary at that time to be able to work undistrubedly.
The phone's ring tone might be turned down to low, but still audible, the brower will be "banned" to the task bar, just in case an important email sails in, and whatever else might be required.

The only time I use my headset is when there's construction work at/in the house...like this past week, drilling, hammering, curses and hoorays... for some 6 - 8 hours on 5 days. This past week my only wish was that my Learjet wasn't in for maintenance.icon_biggrin.gif

Elena Novski  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 04:11
Russian to English
+ ...
I do not do anything special Jul 6, 2013

I am self-focusedicon_smile.gif

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: When I really have to concentrate on my work, I...

Advanced search

WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search