Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Have you ever translated/localised a smartphone app?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff

ProZ.com Staff
Local time: 04:53
SITE STAFF
Jul 12, 2013

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Have you ever translated/localised a smartphone app?".

This poll was originally submitted by Oliver Lawrence. View the poll results »

Tatty  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:53
Spanish to English
+ ...
1st to post Jul 12, 2013

Wow, I am the first person to respond to the poll. Once, I was the first person to board a plane, in fact I was going on my honeymoon.

No, I have never localised a phone app. I reckon that there will be a high proportion of nos for this poll, and what's more there doesn't sound like there would be a lot of money in it. So I'm not interested either.

Mary Worby  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:53
German to English
+ ...
I voted other Jul 12, 2013

Because I haven't, and I have no particularly strong feelings about whether I would want to or not.

I've translated lots of app blurb though!

David Wright  Identity Verified
Austria
German to English
+ ...
No and not interested Jul 12, 2013

but wil probably have to, since my neighbour develops apps and has already put out feelers!

Oliver Lawrence  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
+ ...
Do you need a smartphone of your own Jul 12, 2013

in order to translate smartphone apps (e.g. to see that the translation fits the available space and is consistent with the visuals)? Or are the clients (direct clients, even) happy to take care of that at their end?

Francesca Battaglia
Italy
Member (2007)
English to Italian
+ ...
I did Jul 12, 2013

And I like it. Most apps are quite entertaining and the clients pay just as much a regular localization/translation. I've done apps for smartphone, tablets and such. The texts are generally short so it doesn't take long..

Anna Spanoudaki-Thurm  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
German to Greek
+ ...
Yes, once Jul 12, 2013

but I did not find it particularly enganging, I admit.

Denise Phelps  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes, once Jul 12, 2013

I did one quite recently for a local tourist board, just the typical tourist information about a historic town - not all apps are games, etc. After I had done the translation, they came back to me and asked me to do the voiceover, which was fun. The idea is that tourists can download the app and then walk around the town listening to information on their phones.

Based on that experience, I'd certainly do it again.

Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
No Jul 12, 2013

Never and, quite frankly, I'm not interested in it.icon_wink.gif

Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 20:53
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Yes, once Jul 12, 2013

Not for a smartphone app but a manual (basic instructions, handling, care, etc.) for the actual smartphone itself.

This was before I bought my iPhone -- aren't they fun! I had to learn a whole new vocabulary, though, since the technology was new to me. The customer was happy with the translation. icon_smile.gif

Noni Gilbert  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Growing area Jul 12, 2013

At the moment, true, most people will be saying no, but demand must be growing. I'd be interested to learn the jargon, and indeed am thinking I should have a chat with an ex-student who writes apps for his company.

Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
German to English
Yes Jul 12, 2013

Just finished my first one this morning, funny coincidence

Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:53
Spanish to English
+ ...
Several Jul 12, 2013

I've done at least 25 over the last couple of years. I enjoyed the work. The processes can be a little different, depending on the app and the developer, but in many cases you could have worked on one and not notice any difference from your other work.

Berna Bleeker
Member (2011)
English to Dutch
Other Jul 12, 2013

I haven't translated any apps yet, and I'm neutral about doing it. I don't particularly want to, but I don't have anything against it.

@Oliver, you shouldn't need a smartphone yourself. The client should indicate the maximum length for each string, and/or provide an emulator you can use on your computer.

Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 17:23
English to Hindi
+ ...
Several Jul 12, 2013

Mostly for Android phones.

But localization simply involved translating into Hindi the interface messages and other text - no coding or testing was involved.

So, on the whole, this was an unglamorous, and poorly paying (on account of the smallness of the text - at most 1000 words, but mostly fewer), experience.

But the writing is in most cases smart and creative, and that is why I enjoy doing it.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Have you ever translated/localised a smartphone app?

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running and helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search