Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Do you worry about security issues if you work from public places (libraries, coffee shops, etc.)?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 19:42
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other Jul 16, 2013

No more so than when using public places for general internet use, where caution is always advisable. I rarely work in these places anyway - the nearest it comes to it is maybe sending off finished translations or picking up emails when my home internet is down.

Wolfgang Jörissen
Wolfgang Jörissen  Identity Verified
Belize
Dutch to German
+ ...
I enjoy working in cafés etc. Jul 16, 2013

... but I mostly use a VPN.

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:42
English to Spanish
+ ...
I'd love to work in a café... Jul 16, 2013

Wolfgang Jörissen wrote:

... but I mostly use a VPN.

...but American-made coffees are nothing to write home about. So I got myself a coffeemaker and I brew my own.

And...I have my own free Wi-Fi!

...and a 46-inch HDTV to steal peeks while I work!

...aaaand...a nice red lounge chair to take short naps when I feel like it.

Anne-Carine Zimmer
Anne-Carine Zimmer  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2004)
German to English
+ ...
security issues Jul 16, 2013

Tatty wrote:

I only work from home, as others have said. I need peace and quiet and my reference books. But what security issues would be raised if you worked from a coffee shop? Would you be afraid that someone is reading the text over your shoulder?

[Editado a las 2013-07-16 09:48 GMT]

well, if you work on confidential documents that would be an issue too, but I mostly meant security issues related to your internet connection.

Karin

[Edited at 2013-07-16 20:42 GMT]

Victoria Porter-Burns
Victoria Porter-Burns  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:42
Member (2007)
French to English
+ ...
Other Jul 17, 2013

I voted 'Other' because yes, I have thought about it, but no, I'm not worried. I'm confident that the necessary measures are in place.

Anne-Carine Zimmer
Anne-Carine Zimmer  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2004)
German to English
+ ...
expletives ;-) Jul 18, 2013

Julian Holmes wrote:

...it would be downright impossible since I use a bulky desktop computer which doubles as a lapcruncher.

Security issues? Well nobody would understand the stuff I translate anyway because of it's technical nature.

And, work in libraries? I'd be thrown out because of the expletives that I let out occasionally But I've heard that demure librarians like blokes who talk dirty ....

Answered "I don't work in public places"

well, the expletives might get me in trouble too - good point, actually

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you worry about security issues if you work from public places (libraries, coffee shops, etc.)?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »